An alll in one social media application? Advice?

Watch this thread
C0nfused_Student
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi everyone,

Just wondering how realistic it would be and to gain any advice on the idea to program an all in one social media hub that combines all social media posts into one using either on a desktop program, webpage or mobile application.

Not really seen anything like this out their from some basic research that offers all social media sources, most just use Facebook and Twitter and are aimed at a more professional business related market. I was thinking of something more along the lines of personal use where an individual can browse posts from all social media sites at one location. Instead of annoyingly having to flick between tabs on the internet.

Would anybody be interested in helping me out with this? Thinking about taking it on as a project.

Thanks
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by C0nfused_Student)
Hi everyone,

Just wondering how realistic it would be and to gain any advice on the idea to program an all in one social media hub that combines all social media posts into one using either on a desktop program, webpage or mobile application.

Not really seen anything like this out their from some basic research that offers all social media sources, most just use Facebook and Twitter and are aimed at a more professional business related market. I was thinking of something more along the lines of personal use where an individual can browse posts from all social media sites at one location. Instead of annoyingly having to flick between tabs on the internet.

Would anybody be interested in helping me out with this? Thinking about taking it on as a project.

Thanks
How many years' software engineering experience do you have?
C0nfused_Student
Rep:
(Original post by Planto)
How many years' software engineering experience do you have?
I have no formal experience, but have a keen interest in programming and some basic knowledge; this post was kind of some-what aimed at gaining some more experienced and professional advice whilst also just gaining feedback on what people thought... I just feel this would be a good idea and something that would benefit me personally a great deal so I figured why not ask others what they think. What are your thoughts?
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It's not a bad idea. There are a few obstacles I can think of, though:

- It's a big task. Integrating with a bunch of different social networks is not going to be trivial. Not only is it a big job but you would have usage limits to contend with so, in some cases, it may not even be feasible to do what you want - you'd have to do a lot of research.
- It's almost certainly be done before. Searching "combined social media feed" throws up a few options immediately. I haven't heard of any of them before; maybe this is an indicator of their success level.
- People may not want one. As you said, most people limit themselves to Facebook and Twitter. That's enough for most people and Facebook already includes Twitter integration. Switching between two tabs may be an inconvenience but in all likelihood a combined feed will just mean they have to switch between three as your app won't be full-featured.

All that in mind - as a personal project, it's a great idea. You'll learn a bunch of new APIs and there's a lot of potential for extensibility. As a business idea (not sure if that's even what you're proposing) I'm not so sure - but then I always say that starting a software project for the sole purpose of making money is dooming it to failure: build something you're interested in and if it takes off, it takes off.
C0nfused_Student
Rep:
(Original post by Planto)
It's not a bad idea. There are a few obstacles I can think of, though:

- It's a big task. Integrating with a bunch of different social networks is not going to be trivial. Not only is it a big job but you would have usage limits to contend with so, in some cases, it may not even be feasible to do what you want - you'd have to do a lot of research.
- It's almost certainly be done before. Searching "combined social media feed" throws up a few options immediately. I haven't heard of any of them before; maybe this is an indicator of their success level.
- People may not want one. As you said, most people limit themselves to Facebook and Twitter. That's enough for most people and Facebook already includes Twitter integration. Switching between two tabs may be an inconvenience but in all likelihood a combined feed will just mean they have to switch between three as your app won't be full-featured.

All that in mind - as a personal project, it's a great idea. You'll learn a bunch of new APIs and there's a lot of potential for extensibility. As a business idea (not sure if that's even what you're proposing) I'm not so sure - but then I always say that starting a software project for the sole purpose of making money is dooming it to failure: build something you're interested in and if it takes off, it takes off.

Yeah I kind of figured it would be a big task, I understand about the restrictions the project could face in terms of integrating all of the features present in the actual social networks, but in terms of just drawing the news feeds from the social networks to view them and possibly like/re-tweet/favourite/respond to them how daunting would it be? With any other features holding links so that for example a search for somebody on Facebook/Twitter would open a new tab with Facebook or twitter listing the search results? However like you said I would need to do a substantial amount of research as this entire project could depend on how 'open source' the social networks are and the restrictions regarding integrating them with a third party application.

I agree, I have found and used some similar services in the past such as 'Hootsuite' and 'Tweetdeck' for managing social media profiles but I was thinking more along the lines of it being aimed at individuals mainly to use and simply view all posts in one place sourced from Facebook, twitter, Instagram, Youtube etc without the full features rather than to manage interactions. More of a news-feed concept to keep up to date with what people are doing/have posted.

I am a somewhat 'noob' when it comes to programming. I have some experience in coding html and css regarding simple websites and databases; but unfortunately hold no experience with languages such as Java etc for actual desktop applications. I figured since I currently have a lot of free time on my hands before starting University I could give programming a go to help me gain a more in-depth concept of it and I'd want to do it relating to something which could actually benefit from hence my project idea. Obviously the time I have is restricting in terms of how much I can learn/complete but I think it would be a good starting point to progress from.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads