The Student Room Group

alternatives to jaw surgery?

I'm 19 and have a 10mm over jet and an open bite. I was referred to the orthodontics who said I need braces and then jaw surgery, but jaw surgery does not seem appealing at all! Watch 1.23 to 1.30:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HsXn4B25F4Y
Are there any alternatives? Preferably on the NHS, but I'm willing to save and go private if I can avoid surgery.
Any comments are appreciated!
Reply 1
Listen,,if it bothers you and you consider it a big issue/makes you feel negative re your appearance then im telling you, get it sorted now whilst your young. Sure it will be painful but at least it will only last a comparatively short time. The psychological pain of not having it done will last a lifetime. For what its worth, i think the girl in the vid looks pretty before the op and after of course.
Reply 2
Original post by Limpopo
Listen,,if it bothers you and you consider it a big issue/makes you feel negative re your appearance then im telling you, get it sorted now whilst your young. Sure it will be painful but at least it will only last a comparatively short time. The psychological pain of not having it done will last a lifetime. For what its worth, i think the girl in the vid looks pretty before the op and after of course.

It does bother me, but I don't want to consider surgery. Do you not know of any alternatives?
Yhh she Is pretty and it has helped her, but i cant afford to miss days off uni, or in the holidays its just not a good time...
Reply 3
Original post by M-Dog
It does bother me, but I don't want to consider surgery. Do you not know of any alternatives?
Yhh she Is pretty and it has helped her, but i cant afford to miss days off uni, or in the holidays its just not a good time...

I'm no expert but i dont see any alternatives. Maybe if now isnt the right time due to commitments, you should plan for the future, focus on your studies and fix it later.
Reply 4
Original post by Limpopo
I'm no expert but i dont see any alternatives. Maybe if now isnt the right time due to commitments, you should plan for the future, focus on your studies and fix it later.

I couldn't find any online either :frown:
I'm just praying science makes some rapid advancements to fix these situations without surgery
Thank you for your help :smile:
Have you had it done?
A year or so of recovery for a lifetime of vastly improved appearance, IMO it's worth it!
Reply 6
Original post by M-Dog
I couldn't find any online either :frown:
I'm just praying science makes some rapid advancements to fix these situations without surgery
Thank you for your help :smile:
Have you had it done?

No but i did have some cosmetic surgery done later in life and i wished i had had it done when i was a teenager.
Reply 7
Original post by bertstare
A year or so of recovery for a lifetime of vastly improved appearance, IMO it's worth it!

The procedure is not pleasant- and permanent metal plates :/
Are there seriously no alertnatives?
What's a bite plate?
Original post by M-Dog
The procedure is not pleasant- and permanent metal plates :/
Are there seriously no alertnatives?
What's a bite plate?

An orthodontic appliance which is usually used to open up the bite anteriorly, if your upper teeth are overlapping the lowers. Ask your orthodontist if there are any alternatives, but I doubt it tbh
Reply 9
Original post by bertstare
An orthodontic appliance which is usually used to open up the bite anteriorly, if your upper teeth are overlapping the lowers. Ask your orthodontist if there are any alternatives, but I doubt it tbh

Ohh that wouldn't work, I have an open bite
I'm trying to find alertnatives online, heard gear congress up. But idk what it's for
Reply 10
There is likely no alternative to the surgery, but it's not all that bad TBH. You'll be off for a couple of weeks until the swelling dies down, but after that, you can easily keep up at uni, although you'll be on a liquid diet for some time, so I hope you like soup. :wink: The metal plates are unlikely to trouble you much. I occasionally feel them in the cold but it's quite rare and isn't really much of an issue.
Reply 11
I have just received a letter detailing that I'm on the editing list and my. Next consultation will be in approximately 2 years, I'm hoping medicine makes great leaps in that time so I don't have to get this done and I find an alternative!

Quick Reply

Latest