Spain should be allowed to progress

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
john0101
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
With Spain out this has been one of the worst world cups in modern years. The World Cup is about the biggest teams, small countries like Costa Rica, Bosnia, Chile, Ghana etc. are just there to make the numbers.

I think FIFA should give Spain and England the right to progress, in the spirit of the tournament. Costa Rica should play chile and the winner of that game should progress to the round of 16...

This way everyone wins, and the tournament will be better

Posted from TSR Mobile
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Just wrong.

Sport is about the little guys, the underdogs, the minnows coming out and taking it to the big boys. It's about people excelling themselves and over achievement. It's about the performance on the day, peaking correctly and being prepared.

If you want victory in sport to be reserved for the elites, well, to be honest, I have nothing. It's ridiculous.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Autistic Merit
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
They should do it like at Wimbledon where it makes it easier for the 'seeded' teams to progress.
James222
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Same thing happened in 2010 its football
England actually moved up in rankings because all the big teams went out
Lúcio
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by john0101)
With Spain out this has been one of the worst world cups in modern years. The World Cup is about the biggest teams, small countries like Costa Rica, Bosnia, Chile, Ghana etc. are just there to make the numbers.

I think FIFA should give Spain and England the right to progress, in the spirit of the tournament. Costa Rica should play chile and the winner of that game should progress to the round of 16...

This way everyone wins, and the tournament will be better

Posted from TSR Mobile
what would be the point?

the excitement of football is it's unpredictability.
we love to be surprised and amazed by the game.
why else do we root for the underdog?

football essentially is entertainment.
would it be entertaining to see the same thing year after year; to see the best team win every single match?
of course it wouldn't; the world cup, as any cup, is about giving a chance to all the teams in it.

this has been the most entertaining world cup i've ever seen, simply of how shocking and unpredictable it has been.

who predicted iran to hold argentina for 90 minutes, only for messi to score a ridiculous goal in stoppage time?
that is pure entertainment.
that is the world cup.
LightBlueSoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Autistic Merit)
They should do it like at Wimbledon where it makes it easier for the 'seeded' teams to progress.
This already happens. Unless sarcasm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (269)
42.3%
The paper was reasonable (262)
41.19%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
9.12%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
7.39%

Watched Threads