A Level Maths/Further Maths Confusion

So the modules I have taken (apart from C1-4 and FP1-2) are:

M1
M2
S1
S2
S3
D1

But i'm confused as to which would count for my maths grade and which would be for my further maths grade.

Am I right in thinking because I have taken 3 stats modules they all have to go towards further maths so they can all be together? Or could I have say S1 in maths and S2-3 in further maths?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I haven't started further maths yet, but my teacher has explained it to me because I wanted to be sure I wanted to do it, from what she said I think you can cash in your units (except the core/FP units) however you want to create a combination with the best grades :smile:
Original post by Barney13

M1
M2
S1
S2
S3
D1

But i'm confused as to which would count for my maths grade and which would be for my further maths grade.

Am I right in thinking because I have taken 3 stats modules they all have to go towards further maths so they can all be together? Or could I have say S1 in maths and S2-3 in further maths?

Thanks

You can have S1 in maths and S2-3 in further.
I was under the impression that you must have all of one type of module going towards each A level, so you cannot have e.g. M2 going towards maths and then M1 going towards FM.

So yes I think S1-3 must all go towards FM as with C1-4 in maths, theres only space for another 2 modules to make up the 6 for the full A level.
Original post by rayquaza17

My teacher told me that they can't put a 2 or a 3 in a separate a level to the first module, was I given incorrect information?
Reply 5
I'm pretty sure you can get a higher grade in further maths than maths?
Reply 6
Original post by Bloxorus
I was under the impression that you must have all of one type of module going towards each A level, so you cannot have e.g. M2 going towards maths and then M1 going towards FM.

So yes I think S1-3 must all go towards FM as with C1-4 in maths, theres only space for another 2 modules to make up the 6 for the full A level.

Well that's what I though in which case there's no point in me wasting time over M2 for next week when i've got S2 to work on, but no one seems to agree with which is right :confused:
I believe that you can effectively "mix and match" between your modules
Reply 8
Hmmm okay i'm not too sure, though it is possible to get an A in maths and an A* in further maths
My teacher told me that they can't put a 2 or a 3 in a separate a level to the first module, was I given incorrect information?

I think so.

The requirements are that you need either M1 M2, M1 S1, M1 D1, S1 S2, S1 D1, D1 D2 (think that's all the combinations!) for normal maths, and everything else goes into further. So you could have S1 D1 in normal then S2 S3 in further.

Hmmm okay i'm not too sure, though it is possible to get an A in maths and an A* in further maths

This is totally possible.
There is a complex algorithm the exam board use. If you submit all 12 units they divide them up for maths / fm. Check the exam board web site for full explanation.
Reply 11
If you did 12 modules and got 100 in 10 modules and 0 in c3 c4 you would get a B in Maths and an A* in Further Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

M1
M2
S1
S2
S3
D1

The rules are the same for all exam boards and are defined here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information

C1-4 have to go in Maths. The allowable applied units are (as someone has said) any 2 units beginning with a 1 or a matched pair of 1 & 2 (S1&S2, M1&M2 etc).
Furtehr Maths has to contain FP1, at least 1 from FP2 & FP3 and anything else that hasn't been used for Maths.

As long as both Maths and Further Maths are cashed in at the same time, the exam board arranges the units to give you the best possible Maths grade followed by the best possible Further maths grade. (This doesn't stop you getting a better grade for FM than Maths as the pure units can't be moved around). You have no choice in this process (unless it will mean you fail FM).
Reply 13
Original post by Compost
The rules are the same for all exam boards and are defined here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information

C1-4 have to go in Maths. The allowable applied units are (as someone has said) any 2 units beginning with a 1 or a matched pair of 1 & 2 (S1&S2, M1&M2 etc).
Furtehr Maths has to contain FP1, at least 1 from FP2 & FP3 and anything else that hasn't been used for Maths.

As long as both Maths and Further Maths are cashed in at the same time, the exam board arranges the units to give you the best possible Maths grade followed by the best possible Further maths grade. (This doesn't stop you getting a better grade for FM than Maths as the pure units can't be moved around). You have no choice in this process (unless it will mean you fail FM).

Thanks for the clear response :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Ginger_Gymnast92
I haven't started further maths yet, but my teacher has explained it to me because I wanted to be sure I wanted to do it, from what she said I think you can cash in your units (except the core/FP units) however you want to create a combination with the best grades :smile:

Original post by lilypear
I believe that you can effectively "mix and match" between your modules

I think so.

The requirements are that you need either M1 M2, M1 S1, M1 D1, S1 S2, S1 D1, D1 D2 (think that's all the combinations!) for normal maths, and everything else goes into further. So you could have S1 D1 in normal then S2 S3 in further.

This is totally possible.

Im thinking of doing full FM and AFM next year at a different centre, my current place will cash in my M2 grade, I don't know whether in Maths A Level or AS FM, if it cashed by a school, can the exam board mix and match it depending on later exams - or is it permanently cashed nomsaying.

Thanks..
Reply 15
Original post by Haggylad
Im thinking of doing full FM and AFM next year at a different centre, my current place will cash in my M2 grade, I don't know whether in Maths A Level or AS FM, if it cashed by a school, can the exam board mix and match it depending on later exams - or is it permanently cashed nomsaying.

Thanks..

Its certainly not permanent although there might be a fee in order to recertificate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Goods
Its certainly not permanent although there might be a fee in order to recertificate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow. Edexcel really have their hands in their pockets.

I would be entering as a private candidate, so that would be pricey enough.

Do you know, if say hypothetically that grade could be a grade changer to the other modules, do you that if is has been cashed could I uncash it after it this were to happen or not.

Thanks tho..
Reply 17
Original post by Haggylad
Oh wow. Edexcel really have their hands in their pockets.

I would be entering as a private candidate, so that would be pricey enough.

Do you know, if say hypothetically that grade could be a grade changer to the other modules, do you that if is has been cashed could I uncash it after it this were to happen or not.

Thanks tho..

You could ask you exams officer to not cash in your results. My Maths a level from last year is uncashed. You might not be allowed to list it on UCAS but it also means that it cant be excluded from your offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ginger_Gymnast92

Exactly. When you have sat all of your exams and they have been marked, the exam board that you are on (eg. MEI, OCR, Edexcel etc) will sort out which modules go where for you (you don't have to worry about that.) Only some of the modules can be moved.

Their priorities are in the following order:
1- Best Grade possible in Maths
2- Best Grade possible in Further Maths
3- Best UMS possible in Maths
4- Best UMS possible in Further Maths

For example, if you have an A* in Maths, they will move your modules around so that you can obtain the best possible grade in further maths whilst still maintaining your best grade in Maths. They then think about the best possible UMS etc.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Goods
You could ask you exams officer to not cash in your results. My Maths a level from last year is uncashed. You might not be allowed to list it on UCAS but it also means that it cant be excluded from your offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd probably need it to be cashed, I will be at a different centre next year.

Actually side question if my M2 gives me a higher grade than my other applied modules in normal maths-does that mean it goes in there and can my M1 which if it is weaker go into FM AS.

Sorry for so many questions, but my teachers are at school are dog**** as you may expect

Quick Reply

Latest