Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just before an exam this week, someone said something to me when I was worried if I had revisded enough...and so I send this to all those worried that they have not done wnough revision...

"Exams are a measure of ability...If you are able you will do well...if you are not able, you will not"

Tom

ReputationRep:
    I find that exams are becoming too much a test of ability of memory, rather than a test of ability of application.

Looking at the formula book for Maths, I appriciate that you don't have to learn everything, but theres still alot that you have to submit to memory in terms of certain formulas.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Expression, I know people that are endlessly able but are too lazy to revise and so underachieve horrifically. How does that fit into your theory exactly?

i am constaly underachieving.

I agree that exams do not measure intelligence, they measure memory. I have a twin brother + we have almost identical IQs- however he feels that he does not meet his full potential in exams + i have good exam technique- thus leading to a dramatic difference in our grades. If exams were purely about intelligence then we would obviously acheive very similar grades.

also people are good in different areas- some subjects (eg. maths + physics) are said to be much harder then others- but i personally find them easier- it just depends how your brain works. universities and employers are never going to know whether you chose the right subjects for you- and lets face it so much can effect your decision-like a rubbish teacher.

rant over...

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ that unregistered user was me- i never remember to log in (proving my point that exams don't measure stuff like common sense - of which i have very little)

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Expression
    I find that exams are becoming too much a test of ability of memory, rather than a test of ability of application.

Looking at the formula book for Maths, I appriciate that you don't have to learn everything, but theres still alot that you have to submit to memory in terms of certain formulas.
    *knows exactly what you mean*

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.