ADMIN: The Secretary General Election: The Great Debate (Q&A to commoners Watch

This discussion is closed.
Nightowl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'll list the Manifestos in Alphabetical order, then you can ask questions. You can not announce your support in any way for a particular candidate, any posts will be removed. This include "I was very impressed with your answer" or similar, just say thank you if it answered your question. Your free to ask any number of questions and press if necessary.

6+6=6's Manifesto for Secretary General Candidature
6+6=6

I have been around since the beginning of MUN II and have seen two great SG’s do excellent jobs at maintaining the MUN; hence I was surprised to see this vacancy come up so soon. I am not going to bore you with why I am an excellent choice for this position, despite the high number of nominees. Instead, see below for a mini-manifesto on how I would change the MUN if elected SG.

• Introduction of new sub forum dedicated to draft resolutions being addressed by the GA, leaving the main board for administration and general threads.
  • Nightowl has done a great job in maintaining high levels of membership (whilst things like the HoC have recently stumbled) through methods like the roll call. I will this on and at the same time launch an active campaign throughout TSR to gain more reps, things like gemgems89’s new user bar would be a part of this campaign.
  • Following on from increasing membership, I believe that an integral part to this will be helping new members get used to the way the MUN works very quickly. As a result I plan to create a new thread in the MUN, building upon the MUNIII thread and including an MUN FAQ as well as a few voluntarily appointed experienced members to help out the newer ones with any questions they might have to be addressed in this thread.
  • Finally, I see impartiality and dedication as key markers of a good SG. I do possess personal convictions and beliefs, however I promise to put all these aside as SG and act completely independently. Dedication may be a sticking point for a few of you. I have had qualms with a few moderators in the past but I like to think that I am beyond that now and that I would put my responsibility to the MUN above the rest of TSR.
One last thing, feel free to ask me any questions and to interrogate me as much as you want to show you that I am the best candidate for the job.

Apollo's Manifesto for Secretary General

Apollo

I’ve decided to put myself forward as a candidate for SG. I’ve been a part of all 3 “sessions” of the MUN, representing Denmark twice and China once.

I think I would be a good choice for SG because I have over a years worth of experience modding TSR and participating in the MUN. I know how to handle any situation that may arise and have already been involved in putting a stop to several poll rigging attempts.

As SG I would introduce many reforms, several of which I will detail:

1. Every 2 weeks there will either by a hypothetical or historical scenario. I will come up with 2-3 possibilities, and GA will vote on which one they want to do. Reps can also put forward suggestions.

2. I will bring more members into the MUN by requesting that all SC members (/ any other rep who wishes) have links to the MUN in their sig.

3. A clearer definition of inactive will be agreed upon.

4. Stand ins. If a member knows they are going to be away for any length of time, a nation may appoint a stand in (another rep) who will represent the departing reps’s nation.

5. I would create an “Important news/headlines thread”, will I will update daily with important news from around the world.

6. I will compile a list of news sites for each country to help stamp out the “nothing important happens in my country” attitude.

7. Round table discussions will be held where any issues, problems or reforms can be discussed by the GA. Any nation may call such a meeting to order.

8. MUN wiki will be greatly added onto.

9. Finally, I would ensure that real life events are portrayed at the same time in MUN- for example if the G8 summit occurs in real life, we will hold our own G8 summit.

In my time as a mod I think I’ve demonstrated the ability to make decisions and get things done. I’d love to put those abilities to work again to help the MUN grow and prosper.

Knogle's Manifesto for Secretary General

Knogle

Alright folks, surprise surprise, I'm running for this election. :smile: Let me just tell you a bit about myself. I joined this MUN pretty early in the beginning when IIRC deej2 was still the SG. Ever since then, I have been extremely active in representing various countries of diverse beliefs and values - from Singapore to ASEAN to the UK. Each step of the way has taught me many lessons and given me many perspectives on global issues. I have never been afraid of learning, reading, and investigating - as I'm sure you can tell by my eager desire to learn about the Cuban Missile Crisis and the political system in the UK despite being located half a world away. I have learnt plenty during my term in the MUN, and I believe that it's time to return something back to the community. I don't proclaim to have behaved the most professionally or objectively, but I can confidently say that I have tried and delivered many times. I have had my pitfalls, but I assure you that I have committed to improving myself and working on my flaws. I have many fresh new ideas for the MUN which I hope will breathe life into this already excellent organisation. Some of these ideas include the regular geographical rotation of topics to ensure regions are not left out, weekly historical crisis discussions, etc. I assure you that I will be able to positively lead the MUN forward, improving the already outstanding work of the previous Secretary-Generals. I hope that you will give me, as a long-contributing member in excellent standing with the UNGA/SC, this opportunity to take over the reins and direct the MUN ahead with gusto and pride. :smile:

VOTE FOR KNOGLE TODAY!!

Nefarious' Manifesto for Secretary General

Nefarious

IMO the MUN’s success is due both to the impersonal debate coupled with the strong sense of community. I would accordingly strictly moderate, insults, ad hominem arguments and inappropriate straying out of character. I would have an absolutely zero tolerance policy to any form of electoral fraud, whilst I was SG nobody suspended on these grounds would be readmitted under any circumstances. As long as it was kept in the appropriate place I would encourage friendly banter and strongly endorse the off topic thread.
I would try to make clearer the role of the Secretary General in the MUN as the job is not a direct parallel to real life. As I see it in the MUN the role of the SG is to facilitate the operation of the MUN for the benefit of all the members. Bearing in mind that the SG is still a member I would propose that when it comes to votes concerning elections and MUN administration the SG would have one vote just like everyone else as opposed fluctuating between having a casting vote or no vote at all apparently at random . I would also endorse the creation of a permanent deputy SG role, albeit without mini mod powers. This person would manage the forum during the SG’s absence but would also have a role to play in the event of the SG proving substandard (e.g. getting banned or otherwise becoming inactive), overseeing votes of no confidence and liaising with admin as necessary.
I would do all in my power to keep the MUN dynamic and active, removing inactive members whilst at the same time trying to increase the number of new applicants.
Apart from that there is little to say except if elected I will give it my best.

Nutter's Manifesto for Secretary General

Nutter

I, Nutter, hereby express my intention to run for the position of Secretary-General.

The UN Charter describes the position of the UNSG as the "chief administrative officer", and this is precisely where I think my strengths, among other places, lie. I consider myself as a proficient technocrat who is capable of commanding the respect and attention needed to facilitate a mission and achieve and objective, and I do therefore believe that I am well-placed for appointment into this position. Nevertheless, I consider my role to transcend administrative boundaries and stretch into diplomatic boundaries, where I will serve as a leader, activist and mediator, in the spirit of the UN Charter.

Going beyond that, I am determined to lead the UN reform process. I feel that even our off-real Model UN has much room for further development, and while I may not have all the ideas and creative juices needed, I do have the determination, drive, vision and skill required to implement the reform process till its finishing point, and see the UN through its transition during these times of uncertainty. The UN is an institution that has been much criticsed since its inception, but I firmly believe that it has untapped potential and serves as a cohesive lynchpin of the world today - its work often goes unnoticed or taken for granted. Attention is not what I seek for the UN though - while we would appreciate additional support (both monetary and otherwise) from member countries, I want the UN to continue to remain altruistic and selfless in our work, for the greater good of mankind.

In closure, I wish to thank the outgoing SG for his tremendous work and inspirational leadership during his term. His shoes will be hard to fill, but I shall persevere if I am given the opportunity. Colleagues, I urge you to vote not for the totally bland or uncontroversial candidate, but for the one who would be willing to air his views, make a difference, and in so doing, fulfil the mission of the UN.

Nutter
UN Permanent Representative of the
Commonwealth of Australia

I'll reiterate that You are NOT NOT NOT allowed to give ANY INDICATION OF WHO YOU MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT VOTE FOR - ANY POSTS AS SUCH WILL BE DELETED

And good luck to all candidates!

Please note there were originally six candidates but Brimstone has pulled out at the last minute due to time constraints - this is not a thread about that, if you wish to discuss please use the Off Topic Thread.

And no posts like "WOW! Impressive Candidates"
":eek: COOL!"

Once again, please use the Off Topic Thread

And real questions please, any "joke" questions will be deleted.
Nefarious
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is it ok for those standing to pose questions to the other candidates?
brimstone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I knew it. I withdrew, it's not the right time for me to stand. ...

:eek: *thinks of questions*
Nightowl
Rep:
?
Yes.

Read thread again for your other question. Questions to candidates from now on only please.
Nefarious
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nightowl)
Yes.

Read thread again for your other question. Questions to candidates from now on only please.

Sorry I missed that one

I have a question for both Nutter and Knogle. Both of you mention in very general terms that you have plans for reform of the MUN but neither of you have given any indication of what you have in mind. Could you please outline your ideas so that people know what they are voting for as well as who?

Thank you
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
@ Apollo - You mention the following : 'Stand ins. If a member knows they are going to be away for any length of time, a nation may appoint a stand in (another rep) who will represent the departing reps’s nation.'.
Won't this just lead to confusion about who represents who? How will it be done? Will say, if Aiman went away, would someone representing Ethiopia be asked to stand in for him? It all seems quite confusing to me ... could lead to problems perhaps?

You also say, with regards to hypothetical scenarios, 'the GA will vote on which one they want to do'. Isn't this all a little too bureaucratic and timewasting to have a weekly vote a scenario that will last a day or so? Surely it'd be easier for representatives to just post their own scenarios without having to go through the whole vote?

And could you please elaborate on this ()... 'Round table discussions will be held where any issues, problems or reforms can be discussed by the GA. Any nation may call such a meeting to order.'. Surely this is just what we do all the time, but with a different name?
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
@ teehar - Recently, you've caused quite a lot of controversy in the MUN in recent times; why should we give you a chance with your history of behaviour here? (Sorry, 'tis not a personal quip ).
As well as that, you state 'As a result I plan to create a new thread in the MUN, building upon the MUNIII thread'. What else would it include aside from an MUN FAQ?
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
@ Nefarious - you say 'the SG would have one vote just like everyone else'. How about in the event of a continual tie? What will happen then? Surely the SG's vote should only be used in the need to declare an overall winner? How will a tie break be decided if the SG has already cast his vote?
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
@ Nutter - You've said 'I urge you to vote not for the totally bland or uncontroversial candidate'. However (not being rude :p:), your manifesto doesn't particularly stand out as being 'controversial'. What would you do that would differ from the other four candidates?
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nefarious)
I have a question for both Nutter and Knogle. Both of you mention in very general terms that you have plans for reform of the MUN but neither of you have given any indication of what you have in mind. Could you please outline your ideas so that people know what they are voting for as well as who?
@ Knogle - I reiterate Neffy's question, what exactly will you do? Your manifesto seems to be mainly about saying what you have done previously in the MUN, not what you're going to do.

Sorry for all the questions ... I just wanna know what I'm voting for.
SG - do you have a vote in this?
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by brimstone)
@ Apollo - You mention the following : 'Stand ins. If a member knows they are going to be away for any length of time, a nation may appoint a stand in (another rep) who will represent the departing reps’s nation.'.
Won't this just lead to confusion about who represents who? How will it be done? Will say, if Aiman went away, would someone representing Ethiopia be asked to stand in for him? It all seems quite confusing to me ... could lead to problems perhaps?
Nope, there shouldn't be any confusion. There will be a thread stating in plain terms who is filling in for who. A rep who is going away can either ask somene specifically to fill in for them, or just take requests.

You also say, with regards to hypothetical scenarios, 'the GA will vote on which one they want to do'. Isn't this all a little too bureaucratic and timewasting to have a weekly vote a scenario that will last a day or so? Surely it'd be easier for representatives to just post their own scenarios without having to go through the whole vote?
First of all it wouldn't be weekly, and second of all if would almost certaintly last for more than a day. I don't see the point in members just tossing up scenarios randomly, without having any indication of who is interesed in participating and who will be represented. By using the GA we draw from the knowledge of all the reps, instead of just one.

And could you please elaborate on this ()... 'Round table discussions will be held where any issues, problems or reforms can be discussed by the GA. Any nation may call such a meeting to order.'. Surely this is just what we do all the time, but with a different name?
Is it? I haven't seen any threads regarding issues and possible solutions. And even if there were, this would be much more formal and organized.
Nightowl
Rep:
?
I'll follow in Agent's footsteps and not vote.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sorry I missed that one

Thank you
I thank the candidate for his question. To me, being a leader or secretary-general is not only about the creativity or ideas. I want to reform the MUN - I know it has potential for change and reform. While I may not have all the ideas myself, I see the job of the Sec-Gen, as confirmed/supported by the UN Charter, as being an administrative officer in efficiently implementing these plans and prorammes.

I would like to note though, that in particular, I agree with Apollo on 4 of his suggestions (Numbers 3,5,8 and 9). Should I be elected as SG, I will dedicate my time and effort, going beyond what is expected or required of me, to see through this plans, knock out any teething problems, and achieve success and progress. Being a leader is not about the ideas - if you can inspire your members/member countries to provide you with the ideas, that would be more than sufficient. After all, the SG does and MUST rely on member countries for their support throughout his term, lest the UN will fail in its mission and objectives. So I tell you this: Give me the ideas, let's discuss this via a public debate, and if the GA/UNSC agrees upon the idea, I will implement it with unparalleled efficiency and efficacy. That's a promise.

Should this response be unclear or insufficient to meet your needs, please feel free to clarify, and I will be happy to respond again. Thank you.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by brimstone)
@ Nutter - You've said 'I urge you to vote not for the totally bland or uncontroversial candidate'. However (not being rude :p:), your manifesto doesn't particularly stand out as being 'controversial'. What would you do that would differ from the other four candidates?
We thank the French Ambassador for his question.

I trust, and know, that member countries are NOT going to vote solely based on the manifestos that candidates have submitted. I have demonstrated myself to be a level-headed representative that is not afraid to speak his views, and to clarify any issues with other representatives in the most tactful of manner, yet not compromising on my values or beliefs. This is what I intend to continue to do as Secretary General, should I be voted. I will have a stand in all issues that concern the UN, and while I have to take into account the circumstances of member countries whom I comment on, I will not be afraid to criticise any countries that do not act in the spirit of the UN and its values. Essentially, I intend to be both impartial and just.

I believe this is where I would stand out from other candidates, whom in my humble opinion, would tend to take rather bland or neutral in their views. This, I believe, would not facilitate the achievement of the UN's Millenium Development Goals or assist the UN in riding through the challenges in the coming years.

Once again, we thank you for the question. Please feel free to seek a clarification should you need any.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nightowl)
I'll follow in Agent's footsteps and not vote.
I personally concur with the SG's stand that SGs should NOT be given an opportunity to vote, unless in the event of a tie where he/she will cast the deciding vote, acting in the most favourable spirit of the United Nations.

EDIT: Could the SG please confirm, for the record, when this Q&A session will end exactly, and for how long after that the vote will last?
Nightowl
Rep:
?
Depends how activity goes, judging by the amount of questions brim's dispensing we'll be here till November.

On voting, this on is for Nefarious

In your manifesto, you say:

the SG would have one vote just like everyone else as opposed fluctuating between having a casting vote or no vote at all apparently at random
Could you please clarify what you mean, considering the only time the SG does vote is as a casting vote in a tie? I was a bit confused at this statement.
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sorry I missed that one

Thank you
Thank you for your question Nefarious.

I cannot help but to agree with some of Apollo's suggestions up above.

I definitely intend to create a thread which will be updated with the day's headlines - I think that this will go a long way to ensure daily, constant activity in the MUN. There are days whereby I see no new posts in the MUN except for those in the off-topic thread, and there are others where the discussion is rather overwhelming for the average representative.

I want to serve as a trusted member of the United Nations - someone whom member countries can approach especially in times of need. I pledge to evaluate every single suggestion that I receive, without simply dismissing them as unpractical or useless.

Like I said in my manifesto, I would like to revive the hypothetical scenarios (HS) which MUN members can discuss on. I believe that we had an excellent time discussing the Cuban Missile Crisis, in which every participant had to researc hand contribute convincingly. That certainly went a long way towards improving our general knowledge and even morale through good discussion. I intend to have such HS discussions once every 2 weeks or so (frequency can be adjusted) depending on the actual discussion activity and other concurrent events.

I promise you to work on the MUN page of the TSR wiki. Our previous SGs, together with us the member country representatives, have done an awesome job building up the MUN to where it is today. It is substantially member, more respected on TSR, and well-regarded. It would be best to translate this fame and rich history into a wiki page, where it can be archived for generations to come. I will lead this effort, and I hope that member countries will be inspired to join me. On the wiki, I intend to give countries (them willing) a place for themselves for a short biography.

I have other ideas such as the setting up of Group Representative Committees (GRCs), similar to Senate Committees that you see in America today. These GRCs, each of which will consist of several member countries, will each be tasked to examine specific pertinent issues as they occur in RL - they can also be responsible for putting forward suggestions for HSs as stated above. Examples of GRCs are GRC for Human Rights (they keep a constant look out for human rights abuse, propose suggestions, and finally create a resolution for discussion and approval by the UNGA/UNSC), GRC for the Israeli Conflict, GRC for Development, and so on. I hope that this will ensure high quality and specific discussions, which NOTE, will always be eventually discussed in its crystallised form by the UNGA. I hope that this decentralises power from the UNSC, which frequently is responsible for the creation and passing of its own resolutions. This will ensure that member countries are more involved and have a greater sense of ownership in the MUN.

All of this cannot be done with your support. I promise you, that with your vote of confidence and a strong mandate, I will work very hard for you. No, this isn't just all speak and no work. Watch me.

Vote for Knogle today. :yy:

And good luck to my fellow election runners!
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am against Hypothetical Scenarios because they are very unrealistic. Perhaps 1-2 would be fine but I cringe at the idea of large-scale HS threads for me to attend to on a daily basis, when in all honestly, the policies that we mention here would be contrary to what our individual countries had back then, or in the future. Furthermore, to cater to our wide diversity of member countries from all continents, I want to embrace and capitalise on this plurality by being very selective in the choice of issues.

There are no shortages of modern-day current issues/problems/challenges for us to discuss. It is apparent that we have only been discussing issues related to geopolitical stability and involving UNSC resolutions - I will expand this debate to include and place more focus on other topics that involve socio-economic problems and other aspects of the UN's goals, to give this forum a much-needed twist of flavour.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hope nobody plans on stealing my ideas! :p:
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To all: On a scale of 1-10, how anal do you intend to be as Secretary General?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.69%
No (549)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed