thestars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
If you're already a nursing student I just want to know a few questions.

Can I get a job at the same time?
Because with the clinical placement and shift work etc I'm just wondering if it's possible to have a part time job too or will it clash with the placements?

Is there anytime to go out on the night?

how often do you get your own free time?
kaeli :)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi!

Im in my last year as a nursing student, so im sure i can help.
Yes you can get a job at the same time, I would actually stronly advise it! Although some universities frown upon it, they would'nt tell you not to do it im sure. There is no way you can live off of a Student nurses bursary alone. I have had a part-time job in McDonalds since i began uni. The only problem is that you have to be prepared to be absolutely emotionally, physically and mentally exhausted. What you have to do is ensure you put your shifts at clinical placement first and then work your shifts at your own job around them, definately do not miss a shift at placement because you'd rather work cos at the end of the day you have to make that time back up.

Yes there is time to go out at night, just never a night before you have a shift at placement, its hard enough without being hungover and im sure your mentor will be really pissed if you came in hungover - nurses have been struck off the register for that kind of ****.

Im not sure where your studing so i dont know how your course will work but where i study i work the same shift patterns as my mentor when at placement which from semester 1-8 was 30hrs and semester 9 is 37.5 hours. All other time is yours to do as you please.

I hope this has helped, any other questions I'll be happy to help.
thestars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by kaeli :))
Hi!

Im in my last year as a nursing student, so im sure i can help.
Yes you can get a job at the same time, I would actually stronly advise it! Although some universities frown upon it, they would'nt tell you not to do it im sure. There is no way you can live off of a Student nurses bursary alone. I have had a part-time job in McDonalds since i began uni. The only problem is that you have to be prepared to be absolutely emotionally, physically and mentally exhausted. What you have to do is ensure you put your shifts at clinical placement first and then work your shifts at your own job around them, definately do not miss a shift at placement because you'd rather work cos at the end of the day you have to make that time back up.

Yes there is time to go out at night, just never a night before you have a shift at placement, its hard enough without being hungover and im sure your mentor will be really pissed if you came in hungover - nurses have been struck off the register for that kind of ****.

Im not sure where your studing so i dont know how your course will work but where i study i work the same shift patterns as my mentor when at placement which from semester 1-8 was 30hrs and semester 9 is 37.5 hours. All other time is yours to do as you please.

I hope this has helped, any other questions I'll be happy to help.
Thank you so much!

I'm just worried about not being able to afford rent so I really need to get a job when I go to uni.

Also, can you still take part in freshers?
What accomodation do you say in? (Nursing student accomodation or halls) because I'd preferably stay in halls.

Sorry for all the questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (35)
33.33%
No - I have already returned home (11)
10.48%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
21.9%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.67%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
27.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed