emfp21
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Any good epq ideas linking maths /economics? Maybe econometrics or something? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
emfp21
Rep:
?
Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
purplelamp
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
First of all I've never studied maths or economics (except GCSE) but I have done a few projects

A website teaching kids the basics of maths and economics? (Seen it done before but for something else)

Setting up maths and economics workshops?

Writing a report about how they have developed (again, seen reports done for it before, with research as the evidence)

Making number games etc and going into schools, it could help attract people to the college AND get people understanding maths/economics.

They all require the needs for a project; planning etc. Hope these have helped you think of something, I can't really think of anything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
emfp21
Rep:
?
(Original post by purplelamp)
First of all I've never studied maths or economics (except GCSE) but I have done a few projects

A website teaching kids the basics of maths and economics? (Seen it done before but for something else)

Setting up maths and economics workshops?

Writing a report about how they have developed (again, seen reports done for it before, with research as the evidence)

Making number games etc and going into schools, it could help attract people to the college AND get people understanding maths/economics.

They all require the needs for a project; planning etc. Hope these have helped you think of something, I can't really think of anything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any ideas for an essay question linking maths/economics??

Posted from TSR Mobile
William Turtle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by emfp21)
Any ideas for an essay question linking maths/economics??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know someone who did something about all that prime number bank security witchcraft.

Posted from TSR Mobile
emfp21
Rep:
?
Any other ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Edexcel have sample questions within each topic: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/project...s/default.aspx
I think it would have to be more economics-based rather than maths-based. Pick a question that you've always been curious about. It doesn't even have to be related to one of your subjects. I read an exemplar called "Cleaning up space junk".
emfp21
Rep:
?
What interesting economic topics are there that are suitable for epq? I've been looking at behavioural economics

And trying to find mathematical models in economics that I could write about but haven't found any

Posted from TSR Mobile
emfp21
Rep:
?
Any ideas for titles on applying chaos theory to economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
emfp21
Rep:
?
Titles for prospect/chaos theories in economics??

Posted from TSR Mobile
William Turtle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're not going to think of a title without research. Since a huge chunk of EPQ marks are about planning, and progression, I have one bit of advice for you. Note down every step in the progression of your ideas somewhere. E.g. You wanted to do something to do with maths and economics, so you researched chaos theory in economics... You found ____, that lead you to think about ____. And so on.

That's how you'll find your title. As for what someone above said about it having to be more economics - absolute rubbish. The top exemplar I saw was completely mathematical, and I have two friends who did projects on mathematical economics and quantum computing, focusing on maths.

You can write about what you want. Just start reading journal/newspaper articles. Keep links to the web pages where you found them, and write down summaries of your thoughts. Continue like this over summer, and you'll easily have a bank of references for whatever you need to do. It'll also be helpful to keep notes on articles you decide you won't need to use - you can write about that in your project proposal and all the summary crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
emfp21
Rep:
?
(Original post by William Turtle)
You're not going to think of a title without research. Since a huge chunk of EPQ marks are about planning, and progression, I have one bit of advice for you. Note down every step in the progression of your ideas somewhere. E.g. You wanted to do something to do with maths and economics, so you researched chaos theory in economics... You found ____, that lead you to think about ____. And so on.

That's how you'll find your title. As for what someone above said about it having to be more economics - absolute rubbish. The top exemplar I saw was completely mathematical, and I have two friends who did projects on mathematical economics and quantum computing, focusing on maths.

You can write about what you want. Just start reading journal/newspaper articles. Keep links to the web pages where you found them, and write down summaries of your thoughts. Continue like this over summer, and you'll easily have a bank of references for whatever you need to do. It'll also be helpful to keep notes on articles you decide you won't need to use - you can write about that in your project proposal and all the summary crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks!

Do you think prospect theory/chaos theory would be good??

What was your friends mathematical economics one about??

Posted from TSR Mobile
William Turtle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by emfp21)
Thanks!

Do you think prospect theory/chaos theory would be good??

What was your friends mathematical economics one about??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds interesting to me.

I'm afraid I don't really no - I never got a chance to read it. It's irrelevant, though. There's no point in you asking people online for titles, as it's part of the assessed process that you work to one yourself. Research, and one will come.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.57%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.74%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.93%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.69%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.73%

Watched Threads