The Student Room Group

STEP I 2014 solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tarquin Digby
So after the substitution we have

αun+1+β=p(αun+β)2+q(αun+β)+r \alpha u_{n+1} + \beta = -p \left(\alpha u_n + \beta \right)^2 + q \left( \alpha u_n + \beta \right) + r

Rearrange a little

un+1=pα(αun+β)2+qα(αun+β)+rαβα \displaystyle u_{n+1} = - \frac p {\alpha} \left(\alpha u_n + \beta \right)^2 + \frac q {\alpha} \left( \alpha u_n + \beta \right) + \frac r {\alpha} - \frac {\beta} {\alpha}

Then equating coefficients with un+1=4un(1un)u_{n+1} = 4 u_n (1 - u_n) we obtain

pαα2=4- \dfrac p {\alpha} \alpha^2 = - 4

Thanks. I get it now.
Original post by Pascal678
Might as well do the only question I could get a full solution for

STEP I 2014 question 8

part i)

Spoiler

part ii)

Spoiler

part iii)

Spoiler

Original post by DFranklin

Dfranklin, do you think the last part of this solution is sufficient to gain all marks for that part?
STEP I, Q11. (Interesting question, this!).

For the 2nd part. Label the M1, M2 pulley P, and let the tension it its string be T. Let the tension in the other string be S. For legibility, write A for the acceleration a2.

Again, the acceleration of M is g - T/M and the acceleration of m is g-T/m. But relative to the pulley, the accelerations are (g+A) - T/M and (g+A) -T/m. So (replacing g in the earlier calculation with g+A) we end up with a
new value for the tension T=2(g+A)m1m2m1+m2=2(g+A)μT = 2(g+A)\dfrac{m_1m_2}{m_1+m_2} = 2(g+A)\mu.

Now, since the pulley is weightless, the net force on it must be zero, so we have 2T = S, so S=4(g+A)μS = 4(g+A)\mu. Now since the acceleration of M is A, we know the net force on M is MA.

So we must have Mg - S = MA. So Mg4(g+A)μ=MA Mg - 4(g+A)\mu = MA. So A(M+4μ)=g(M4μ)A(M+4\mu) = g(M-4\mu) so A=gM4μM+4μA = g\dfrac{M-4\mu}{M+4\mu} as required.

How about this alternative to the second part?

Spoiler

I hope my explanation makes sense!
Reply 43
Original post by jtSketchy
How about this alternative to the second part?I spent a fair bit of time considering this approach (because you can see that the figures are going to kind of work), but in the end I felt it wasn't justifiable.

From the first part of the question, we know that the force on the pulley due to the tension in the string is 4mMM+mg\displaystyle\ \frac{4mM}{M+m}g .
Suppose the other weight in the system is 0. Then the "pulley from the first part" is actually going to be in free fall, and so the tension in that string is 0. (In other words, your expression for the force on the pulley can't be correct for the general 3mass/2pulley scenario).

It feels like there should be a way of making it work, and I tried to find a way of making a convincing argument. I did find one I thought was "OK", but it basically used an argument from post-A-level (that we can consider motion in a frame moving with acceleration A as equivalent to motion in a gravitational field A), which felt a little out of left field.

Relative to the time I spent trying to justify the "short" solution I actually spent less time doing it the "long" way, so that's what I posted.

I'm sure there is a way of making your method work, (or maybe your method even is acceptable), but I'm not really seeing it myself.
Original post by newblood
Dfranklin, do you think the last part of this solution is sufficient to gain all marks for that part?

Bump

Suppose the other weight in the system is 0. Then the "pulley from the first part" is actually going to be in free fall, and so the tension in that string is 0. (In other words, your expression for the force on the pulley can't be correct for the general 3mass/2pulley scenario).

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but since the pulley (P1) is light (so we consider it as 'weightless'(?)), surely it will not be in free fall in the case M=0? (Since it will only move if acted on by a force, and it does not have any weight?)

If this is the case, then it would be the force on the pulley due to the string around it which cases it to fall, and so the tension in the string around the pulley (P1) would not be zero (and would still be what we found it to be previously, I believe).
Reply 46
Bump
To be honest, I don't really like the answer to part (iii). In fact, I'm not even 100% sure what is meant by much of the wording, which makes deciding whether it's actually right problematic. Of course, that may just be me being dim.

Although it's tempting to try to use (i) and (ii) to answer (iii) (and needing to do so is a fairly typical STEP pattern), I don't think it's useful here.

The first step is still to differentiate y=(1(x))2 y = (1-\sqrt(x))^2 to get dydx=x1x\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\sqrt{x} - 1}{\sqrt{x}} and compare with the gradient of LaL_a which is (a1)/a(a-1)/a. That leads us to consider the tangent to the curve for a particular value of x, say x = b^2 (we can use b^2 instead of b since we know 0 <x ). The tangent has gradient (b-1) / b, and so has the form y = x (b-1)/b + K for some value K. To find K, we note that to lie on C, we must have y = (1-b)^2 when x = b. So (1-b)^2 = b(b-1) + K, so K = 1-b. So the tangent has equation y = x (b-1)/b + (1-b), which is exactly the same as the equation for L_b. So every tangent is indeed of the form L_a for some a, namely, when x = b^2, a = b.
Reply 47
Please correct me if I am mistaken, but since the pulley (P1) is light (so we consider it as 'weightless'(?)), surely it will not be in free fall in the case M=0? (Since it will only move if acted on by a force, and it does not have any weight?)

If this is the case, then it would be the force on the pulley due to the string around it which cases it to fall, and so the tension in the string around the pulley (P1) would not be zero (and would still be what we found it to be previously, I believe).
It's the force from the string (sort of), but, because the pulley has zero mass, the net force on the pulley has to be 0 (otherwise it will end up with infinite acceleration). And the string from pulley P can't exert any force (because it is massless with no mass on the other end). So if the string from pulley P exerts no force and the net force on P1 has to be 0, the force from the string over P1 can't be exerting any force on P1 either.

[If you want to resolve the "the pulley has zero mass, so the force on it must be zero, but then why would it have any acceleration?" conundrum, think about the pulley having a non-zero mass, and then what happens as that mass gets very very small. Common sense tells us the pulley isn't going to accelerate downwards faster than g, and in that case the net force on it must tend to 0 as the mass does]..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 48
Something else that might help convince you. Suppose (for simplicity), that m1 = m2. As M gets very small, using the formula we derive in the question, we see that M's acceleration tends to -g and so m1 and m2 have acceleration tending g. But if T is the tension in the string over P1, we know that m1 and m2 must have acceleration g-T/m1. It follows that as M0M \to 0 we must have T0T \to 0 also.
To be honest, I don't really like the answer to part (iii). In fact, I'm not even 100% sure what is meant by much of the wording, which makes deciding whether it's actually right problematic. Of course, that may just be me being dim.

Although it's tempting to try to use (i) and (ii) to answer (iii) (and needing to do so is a fairly typical STEP pattern), I don't think it's useful here.

The first step is still to differentiate y=(1(x))2 y = (1-\sqrt(x))^2 to get dydx=x1x\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\sqrt{x} - 1}{\sqrt{x}} and compare with the gradient of LaL_a which is (a1)/a(a-1)/a. That leads us to consider the tangent to the curve for a particular value of x, say x = b^2 (we can use b^2 instead of b since we know 0 <x ). The tangent has gradient (b-1) / b, and so has the form y = x (b-1)/b + K for some value K. To find K, we note that to lie on C, we must have y = (1-b)^2 when x = b. So (1-b)^2 = b(b-1) + K, so K = 1-b. So the tangent has equation y = x (b-1)/b + (1-b), which is exactly the same as the equation for L_b. So every tangent is indeed of the form L_a for some a, namely, when x = b^2, a = b.

Tbh i think your explanation is practically the same as his and you have used the same reasoning, so cheers
Reply 50
Tbh i think your explanation is practically the same as his and you have used the same reasoning, so cheers
I disagree, but whatever...
Something else that might help convince you. Suppose (for simplicity), that m1 = m2. As M gets very small, using the formula we derive in the question, we see that M's acceleration tends to -g and so m1 and m2 have acceleration tending g. But if T is the tension in the string over P1, we know that m1 and m2 must have acceleration g-T/m1. It follows that as M0M \to 0 we must have T0T \to 0 also.

That does make it clear - thank you for taking the time to clear that up for me!

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if they give any credit for this method, since just what my mark is on this paper will probably be determined by how much credit I get given for this part!

(The other reason - aside from the fact that it looks like the figures are going to work - I initially thought that this method may have been what was intended was because they specifically asked you to find the force on the pulley due to the string, and I assumed that the only reason they would have got me to find that was because I could use it later on in the question!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I disagree, but whatever...

But if you read them theyre essentially the same?! You just gave more detail at the end, similar to how i did in the exam but the solution was a bit less detailed than exam conditions
Reply 53
But if you read them theyre essentially the same?! You just gave more detail at the end, similar to how i did in the exam but the solution was a bit less detailed than exam conditions
In terms of what's written, I feel it essentially says things are true but doesn't actually show that they are. It also never specifically comes out and says "When x = <blah>, the tangent to C is the same as the line L_a, where a = <blah-blah>". It all comes across more as "well, we've got these lines with these gradients, and this curve, and there a bit on the curve with the same gradient, and the line intersects with the curve, and ..." It was kind of a mish-mash of stuff that kind of met in the middle.

[Analogy:].

Still, might be what the examiners were after. Part (ii) certainly leads you towards that kind of argument.
Reply 54
(The other reason - aside from the fact that it looks like the figures are going to work - I initially thought that this method may have been what was intended was because they specifically asked you to find the force on the pulley due to the string, and I assumed that the only reason they would have got me to find that was because I could use it later on in the question!)I've remembered a little more about how my first solution worked: it was again trying to reuse what we did in the first part. What I did was argue that if P1 has acceleration A, then we could consider the motion of m1, m2 relative to P1. In this frame we can consider the acceleration due to gravity to be (g-A) (*) and then reuse our previous equation but replace g by (g-A).

(*) here is true but it's quite difficult to demonstrate it (more one of those things where it's hard to explain than that it's really deep. You usually do it at uni).

But then I realised that rather than depending on (*) I could just put the acceleration into the equations and it still came out very quickly. (Which is the solution I posted).

But you could do something similar to (*) to get the correct tension in the string, which would then give you the correct acceleration for M.

It's yet another question where I'll be interested to see the model solution.
Reply 55
Original post by JosephML
Question 9:

Resolving in the standard way we get:

y=Usinθt12gt2 y = U \sin \theta t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2

x=Ucosθt12kgt2 x =U \cos \theta t - \frac{1}{2}kgt^2

So we get THT_H when dydt=0\frac{dy}{dt} = 0, thus:

TH=Usinθg\displaystyle T_H = \frac{U \sin \theta}{g}

And so by symmetry we get TL=2Usinθg\displaystyle T_L = \frac{2U \sin \theta}{g}

Now we define T=Ucosθkg\displaystyle T = \frac{U \cos \theta}{kg}. So TT is the point at which the xx velocity is zero. For the sketches we consider the ratios:

THT=ktanθ\displaystyle \frac{T_H}{T} = k \tan \theta

TLT=2ktanθ\displaystyle \frac{T_L}{T} = 2k \tan \theta

So when ktanθ<12k \tan \theta < \frac{1}{2} we have the particle reaching its maximum height and hitting the ground without the xx velocity changing direction.

When 12<ktanθ<1 \frac{1}{2} < k \tan \theta < 1 we have the particle reaching its maximum height then moving back towards O O then hitting the ground.

When ktanθ>1k \tan \theta > 1 we have the particle moving back towards the origin before reaching its maximum height.

Finally when ktanθ=1k \tan \theta = 1 we have the particle stationary when t=T=THt = T = T_H. Also we have:

ky=Ucosθ12kgt2=xk y = U \cos \theta - \frac{1}{2} k g t^2 = x

so the trajectory is a straight line.

The last part might be a little unclear, if people can't understand then I'll rewrite it.

does this trajectory need to be a vertical line (last part)? or could it be a straight line at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal?
Hi Tarquin;

My calculation of Q2 part three is 16\sqrt2-8.

I'm wondering whether is it possible that you make a minor mistake?
Original post by Tarquin Digby
STEP 1 Q2

i)
Integrating by parts
lnxdx=xlnxdx=xlnxx+C\displaystyle \int \ln x \, \mathrm d x = x \ln x - \int \, \mathrm d x = x \ln x - x + C

Now substitute x2xx \mapsto 2-x and remember to divide by 1-1.

ii)

Symmetry about the y axis due to x2x^2 term. Intersects x axis at ±3\pm \sqrt 3 and ±5\pm \sqrt 5. Intersects y axis at ln4\ln 4.

iii)
03lnx24dx=03ln(4x2)=03ln(2x)+ln(2+x)dx=4ln(2+3)23\displaystyle \int_0^{\sqrt 3} \ln {|x^2 - 4|} \, \mathrm d x = \int_0^{\sqrt{3}} \ln (4 - x^2) = \int_0^{\sqrt{3}} \ln (2 - x) + \ln (2 + x) \, \mathrm d x \\ = 4 \ln (2 + \sqrt {3} ) - 2 \sqrt{3}

Note that ln(23)=ln(2+3)- \ln(2 - \sqrt{3}) = \ln(2 + \sqrt{3}).

iv)
02lnx24dx=02ln(4x2)dx=03ln(4x2)dx32ln(4x2)dx=4438ln2+8ln(2+3)\displaystyle \int_0^2 |\ln|x^2-4|| \, \mathrm d x = \int_0^2 |\ln(4-x^2)| \, \mathrm d x \\ = \int_0^{\sqrt{3}} \ln(4-x^2) \, \mathrm d x - \int_{\sqrt{3}}^2 \ln(4-x^2) \, \mathrm d x = 4 - 4 \sqrt 3 - 8 \ln 2 + 8 \ln (2 + \sqrt 3 )

Now multiply by 22 to get 88316ln2+16ln(2+3)8 - 8 \sqrt 3 - 16 \ln 2 + 16 \ln (2 + \sqrt 3 )
Original post by eaglezyj
Hi Tarquin;

My calculation of Q2 part three is 16\sqrt2-8.

I'm wondering whether is it possible that you make a minor mistake?

Mathematica agrees with Tarquin.
Oh yeah, I did it one more time. It was me who make a mistake about the area and integration value.

Thanks a lot, guys
Original post by Smaug123
Mathematica agrees with Tarquin.
Why are you subtracting \int_{\sqrt{3}}^2 \ln(4-x^2); shouldn't it be added to rather than subtracted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending