Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Not sure what title to give this but if hypothetically gender bias was eliminated from the world would the % of women and men in each career be pretty equal?

I appreciate the obvious problem with this scenario is that roles in each sector are already filled with uneven ratios. So let's propose that it's already 50:50. Is it likely that it'll stay that way for most careers?

(apologies if I'm not making myself clear)
Pascal678
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Probably, but that would include removing the need to take off time for children, women's choices all been fairly equal to that of mens, which is a highly impossible utopia. I think men will still earn a bit more just due to the fact that there has been dominance in those high-paid sectors for a very long time, but it would be pretty equal but again, highly unlikely
DanielDr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pascal678)
Probably, but that would include removing the need to take off time for children, women's choices all been fairly equal to that of mens, which is a highly impossible utopia. I think men will still earn a bit more just due to the fact that there has been dominance in those high-paid sectors for a very long time, but it would be pretty equal but again, highly unlikely
That already happens in nordic countries like Sweden and the majority of women still want to take time off instead of letting the men do it. They get very long paternity/maternity leaves with great pay. Sweden also has one of the highest rates of women working part-time anywhere in the world. They also have very few women in engineering and STEM even though feminism and ''progressive'' social engineering are basically state religions there.

When women are bombarded from day 1 with this type of propaganda and they still make choices that are supposed to be socially constructed then logic would dictate those choices are probably based in something else that isn't society's doing.

I like this quote for a TIME article:

Now, a lot of people might say that American women are stymied from pursuing their ambitions because of our miserly maternity leave, day care and workplace-flexibility policies. But even women in the world’s most family-friendly countries show little interest in the equality-by-the-numbers ideal. In Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland, according to the OECD, women still work fewer hours and earn less money than men; they also remain a rare sight in executive offices, computer-science classrooms and, though the OECD doesn’t say it I’m willing to bet, philosophy conferences. Sweden, the gold standard of gender equality in many minds, has one of the highest percentages of women working part time anywhere in the world. Equality-by-numbers advocates should be thinking about women’s progress in terms of what women show that they want, not what the spreadsheets say they should want.
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It would be closer, possibly to within a few standard deviations. But there are certain jobs that would probably be skewed to either gender. I can't see a sudden surge of male midwives tbh.
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by keromedic)
Not sure what title to give this but if hypothetically gender bias was eliminated from the world would the % of women and men in each career be pretty equal?

I appreciate the obvious problem with this scenario is that roles in each sector are already filled with uneven ratios. So let's propose that it's already 50:50. Is it likely that it'll stay that way for most careers?

(apologies if I'm not making myself clear)
I would say not gender bia's.... but gender roles.

As so as women stop looking after children/families more than men then the rate will get closer and closer to 50:50, actually I'm going to change my mind.... we don't need more women in the workplace, arguably we need to persuade more men it's acceptable to stay at home.

As it is I would argue there is very little gender bia's in modern western society.
louieee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd be willing to bet that the natural differences in the brains of men and women would have an influence on which careers the different genders are suited to/prefer. And then there's the physical differences, so I think it's likely that men in general would dominate in manual labour jobs, plus military etc.
DoTheQuenelle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Women have a responsibility to have children and men have a responsibility to father and help provide for them. This is why the West has been in such decline, because they're destroying what makes a healthy society. That's not to say there can't be career women, but they're encouraged to have careers over family.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (9)
6.16%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (25)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.38%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (26)
17.81%

Watched Threads