Difference between International baccalaureate diploma and GCSE ...?

Watch
d.nisan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What are the advantages/ disadvantages of both? Since I'm planning to study in the US, which one would be more useful later on? Is there any other programme I should be considering on taking?
C0balt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by d.nisan)
What are the advantages/ disadvantages of both? Since I'm planning to study in the US, which one would be more useful later on? Is there any other programme I should be considering on taking?
IB is equivalent to A levels which are usually taken in 16-18 years old and GCSEs are a level lower so the programme is usually for 14 to 16 years old.

If you are trying to compare the IB and A levels there are tons of comparisons already out there so you should google.

Basically for IB you have to take maths, two languages, a humanity, a science, an extra subject usually an art. Plus you need sport/skill/service as well as extended essays. Whereas for A levels you only need three subjects most commonly and they can be all arts or all science or mix etc.

American universities generally want all round student compared to British ones so you'd be better off doing IB if you are set on American unis.

Also people often say if you're sure about what you want to do A levels are better because you only need to do related subjects in my case two maths and two sciences but if you're unsure then IB will keep your choices wide open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
d.nisan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Yeah, ib is definitely the most secure option It's just weird that I still have to take SATs after such a difficult programme in order to study in the US...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (673)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.23%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed