d.nisan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm planning to take the ib soon and i want to study medicine as an international student in the US later on... What do American universities expect? I mean, which Hl and which Sl subjects should I take ?
:confused:
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You will need minimum of Chemistry and one other science at HL. Also, you can't study medicine as an undergard in the US, you have to do another degree first, and it is pretty much impossible to get into medicine anyway over there as an international student. Why don't you study it in the UK...?
pbunny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by d.nisan)
So I'm planning to take the ib soon and i want to study medicine as an international student in the US later on... What do American universities expect? I mean, which Hl and which Sl subjects should I take ?
:confused:
If your an INTERNATIONAL STUDENT you haven't got the slightest of being accepted to an American medical school. So don't waste your time! If your not, your IB subjects don't matter because you've got to get your bachelors degree (in absolutely any major) first before applying to medical school in the US. You however are required to take pre medical courses which consist of calculus, english, biology, inorganic/organic chemistry, physics, sociology, psychology etc. Since this classes are extremely rough since there is a ton of competition you need to take IB subjects that will help you do better in those classes. I'd definitely recommend doing HL Chemistry and Biology at least. Pair that up with something like higher level english or psychology. Either of these combinations would be ideal:

HL Psychology
HL Biology
HL Chemistry
SL Maths
SL English
SL Language B

or

HL English
HL Biology
HL Chemistry
SL Maths
SL Psychology
SL Language B

*Remember medical school don't allow students to use IB/AP/A Level subjects to credit out of the required pre medical courses!
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can get into American med schools as an international but practically you'll need to have done your bachelors degree in the US and either be prepared to pay med school tuition in full at the start (you'd be looking at about $250,000 up front), have a green card or work in the US for a few years after your bachelors degree in order to have residency and citizenship.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.53%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (807)
42.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads