The Student Room Group

Is cheating on your partner REALLY bad?

Poll

I think...

Apparently 80% or more of people cheat on their husband or wife (and the other 20% probably just got away with it). Your mum has probably cheated on your dad.
Maybe 20% of children are mistaken about who they think their biological father is.

So is this Abrahamic notion that you should not "cheat" on your partner really helpful?

Isn't it more helpful if you people just accept that if your partner is going on holiday with their friends or on a business trip to Amsterdam that they will probably "cheat".

I don't know anyone in a long distance relationship that hasn't cheated. But why lie about it?

The Vikings had it right. When the men went abroad their wives knew they were having it away with the locals. And likewise their wives took other partners and had children by other men until their husbands came back. Then they all lived in happy extended families.

The French are somewhat honest about husbands having mistresses. Actually even in the bible men had "concubines".

Are men and women really expected to marry at 27 and not look at another person for 50 years because otherwise they will be damned in the fires of hell? That's not realistic.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Stats for such a ridiculous accusation please?

Yes, cheating is bad. If people want open relationships, that's fine, and that's not "cheating" providing it doesn't breach their agreed terms. But there's nothing wrong with monogamy.

If you can't keep your partner interested, that probably says more about you and them than it does about monogamy as a whole
At its most simple it's a betrayal of trust. Of course it's wrong.
Reply 3
Terrible if the wife cheats. If the husband does it but he's still a good father and provider, meh **** happens.
It's wrong and if you're statistics are correct then I'm happy being alone. Because not knowing if I'm enough for the person I love would drive me ****ing insane.
Reply 5
Original post by noobynoo
Apparently 80% or more of people cheat on their husband or wife (and the other 20% probably just got away with it). Your mum has probably cheated on your dad.
Maybe 20% of children are mistaken about who they think their biological father is.

So is this Abrahamic notion that you should not "cheat" on your partner really helpful?

Isn't it more helpful if you people just accept that if your partner is going on holiday with their friends or on a business trip to Amsterdam that they will probably "cheat".

I don't know anyone in a long distance relationship that hasn't cheated. But why lie about it?

The Vikings had it right. When the men went abroad their wives knew they were having it away with the locals. And likewise their wives took other partners and had children by other men until their husbands came back. Then they all lived in happy extended families.

The French are somewhat honest about husbands having mistresses. Actually even in the bible men had "concubines".

Are men and women really expected to marry at 27 and not look at another person for 50 years because otherwise they will be damned in the fires of hell? That's not realistic.

Doubt it, my mum is a strict Muslim.

We live in different times. In our society, multiple partners is frowned upon.

If you want an open relationship, go search for a person that wants the same thing. Bear in mind that not many girls want the same thing, apart from the slutty ones that have vaginas as wide as craters.
Original post by DanielDr
Terrible if the wife cheats. If the husband does it but he's still a good father and provider, meh **** happens.

...what if the wife is the provider? Less common I know but what's your stance then?
Make a commitment to someone and then set the terms. Breaching that trust later is wrong. If its an open relationship or whatever then to each his/her own.

Sources for these ludicrous stats, please?

Cheating on your partner (especially your spouse, who you have vowed to be faithful to), betrays their trust. It is hardly conducive to healthy relationships. Infidelity is the number one cause of divorce.
(edited 9 years ago)

Double standards much?
If people feel the need to be with multiple partners, they should be honest about it. If both partners are fine about being in an open relationship then there's no problem.

However the idea of committing yourself to one person and then going behind their back and sleeping with another person, well that's obviously wrong. It's betraying somebody's trust completely.
Reply 11
I was cheated and feel really awkward:yep:
I was true but, then i was cheated:sad:
Reply 12
Original post by shadowdweller
Double standards much?

Would you leave your husband if he cheated one time and you had kids together?
Of course cheating is bad. If someone wants an open relationship then that's something they need to discuss

Sources or it never happened.
Would you leave your husband if he cheated one time and you had kids together?

Depends on the circumstances.
What a stupid ****ing question

How about you go on 'JewishDating.com' and ask if Hitler gets a worse rep than he deserves?
I mean what were you honestly expecting in your poll?
Reply 17
Original post by shadowdweller
Depends on the circumstances.

He's out on a job related conference in Hong Kong, gets drunk and then later in his hotel room cums inside some PA he met that day. You've been married for 8 years and have 2 kids together. Your move.
Of course its bad. If you have an open relationship thats fine then but to cheat on them when its supposed to be monogamous is just wrong.

Anyone with more ambitious aims in life wouldn't be horrified at the prospect of 'looking at the same person for the next 50 years'. You think you have to drag someone off the street and be forced to put up with them? If you never end up loving someone enough to want to stay loyal for the rest of your life then that's your loss and your weakness. Staying 'interested' doesn't come from variation, it comes from depth. Of course cheating is wrong- it's lying, deceiving, and painful- don't think that putting it in the context of something emotional like a relationship makes it any less of a lie.

And to the people thinking it's fine to cheat in a LDR, no it's not. If you can't do the distance, break up. People can be far too greedy- they expect to hang on to the emotional bound with one hand and grab around with the other one for sexual satisfaction. Obviously unless you've agreed to see other people, then cheating on someone puts them in an inferior position without them knowing it, which is the worst way to demean someone and make a fool out of them. If you think that's fine then you're not fit for a relationship and don't deserve the respect of your partner.

It's just basic morals, I don't even know how people can debate this. If they can I assume they've never been cheated on by someone they care about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending