The Student Room Group

Average GCSE's for good universities?

Hi, I just finished my AS levels which I think went fairly well so I was considering applying to a few universities for economics. The unis I want to apply to are:
UEA
Bath
Loughborough
Newcastle
Southampton or Kent

The problem is my GCSEs were pretty average and I am really panicking thinking they will look at my GCSEs and disregard me. My grades were:
English Lit A*
English Lang A*
Maths A
History A
Geography B
French B
R.E. B
Biology B
Chemistry C
Physics C

So I was wondering if anyone here knows whether these universities are likely to accept me for economics with these grades, as long as the rest of my portfolio is up to their standards?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you achieve 4/5 A*s at A-Levels, GCSEs won't be looked upon even if they're bad
Original post by JAIYEKO
If you achieve 4/5 A*s at A-Levels, GCSEs won't be looked upon even if they're bad

who the hell achieves 4/5 A* at A level lol...thats even above cambride standards lol...your gcses are fine if u can get like ABB/AAB at A level u could make it to any of your chosen universities
You should be fine, I applied for Leeds Uni to do Arabic and Middle Eastern studies (requiring ABB) and my GCSEs were: English lit-A English lang-A Maths- C History- B German-B Business- B. So my GCSEs were well below average and I still go an offer. As long as you're predicted the required grades and have a strong personal statement (and AS grades) you should be fine :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by gideon123
who the hell achieves 4/5 A* at A level lol...thats even above cambride standards lol...your gcses are fine if u can get like ABB/AAB at A level u could make it to any of your chosen universities

Lool, sorry, it'd be even helpful if OP tells us his/her predicted AS grades(?)
Reply 5
Original post by lemon8
Hi, I just finished my AS levels which I think went fairly well so I was considering applying to a few universities for economics. The unis I want to apply to are:
UEA
Bath
Loughborough
Newcastle
Southampton or Kent

The problem is my GCSEs were pretty average and I am really panicking thinking they will look at my GCSEs and disregard me. My grades were:
English Lit A*
English Lang A*
Maths A
History A
Geography B
French B
R.E. B
Biology B
Chemistry C
Physics C

So I was wondering if anyone here knows whether these universities are likely to accept me for economics with these grades, as long as the rest of my portfolio is up to their standards?

Thanks.

It depends on each university; I would suggest going to each one's website and checking their entry requirements. Most, if not all, will have something listed under GCSE requirements.
Reply 6
Original post by JAIYEKO
Lool, sorry, it'd be even helpful if OP tells us his/her predicted AS grades(?)

Sorry don't know my predicted grades yet but I think I got:
A in Economics
A in Maths
A/B in English (probably B)
B in History
Reply 7
Original post by Hummi_C
It depends on each university; I would suggest going to each one's website and checking their entry requirements. Most, if not all, will have something listed under GCSE requirements.

Only about two of them have official requirements I think, which are minimum 5 GCSEs between A and C.
I feel like theyre looking for higher grades though
Reply 8
Original post by HistoryGeek123
You should be fine, I applied for Leeds Uni to do Arabic and Middle Eastern studies (requiring ABB) and my GCSEs were: English lit-A English lang-A Maths- C History- B German-B Business- B. So my GCSEs were well below average and I still go an offer. As long as you're predicted the required grades and have a strong personal statement (and AS grades) you should be fine :smile:

Do you like Leeds? I'm thinking of applying there as well...
Also do you think a combination of a good personal statement and plenty of work experience in the finance world would give me much of a boost for applications?
Many good Economics courses, particularly those designated as BSc rather than BA, want an A at A-level Maths so getting an A at AS Maths would certainly help.
Reply 10
You'll be fine. Your gcse's are similar to mine and got all 5 offers.

I think Bath though asks for an A* in gcse maths - not 100%, may be worth checking and emailing further.
Your GCSEs are fine.
I got AAABBBBCCC and got offers from Leeds, Birmingham, Southampton, Liverpool and Loughborough.
Just focus on your A levels now :redface:
OP, You may think those grades are average for TSR
But have a look around at a few statistics, and you'll see you're significantly above average
I think the average is 6 Cs. Taking Independents into account (which you wouldn't have to worry about if you go to a Comp) the average is perhaps 7.5 Cs (I know a lot of Public school boys and they think they're above the law, you'd be surprised how many fail).

So yeah you're above average dude. Hell, see the report by Ofsted this week? 32% of White boys who go to Comprehensives got 5 Cs, makes me feel like Superman tbh (seeing as I'm a white boy).

And just remember this, A Level Grades >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GCSEs. They might ask for an A in Maths GCSE at the very very worst (I'm talking Russell Group unis other than Oxbridge + Imperial), but even then they could be lenient if you got an A in Maths A Level which is OBVIOUSLY more weighted.

I had this kind of feeling after my GCSEs, felt really good after getting them, found TSR, then felt dreadful. But trust me you did above average, like really above average :biggrin:

Oh and as a final incentive to feeling better, My cousin got AABBBBBCC and now does Medicine at Cambridge. Think I'm lying? Well I have no way to prove it to you but just take my word. A strong A Level performance ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS outweighs that of GCSEs.

and don't let these bastards on TSR tell you GCSEs carry that much weight because that's such *******s. They carry 1% of weight, but potentially 0.1% if you do well these 2 years.

Okay I'm done with my rant now :P
Reply 13
thank you everyone, very encouraging !
:biggrin: :smile:
I didn't get any A*s (aaaabbbbcc) and I got into UCL, Durham, Edinburgh, Warwick and St. Andrews. This was in 2012 though. (I've also since dropped out :3)
Reply 15
Those GCSEs are more than fine for the universities you've listed.
Reply 16
Original post by IrishBoyInLondon
So yeah you're above average dude. Hell, see the report by Ofsted this week? 32% of White boys who go to Comprehensives got 5 Cs, makes me feel like Superman tbh (seeing as I'm a white boy).

Didn't think the situation was this bad :eek:
What if someone got 5 C's 3 B's and 2 A's. Is that okay too?????
Original post by lemon8
UEA
Bath
Loughborough
Newcastle
Southampton or Kent

English Lit A*
English Lang A*
Maths A
History A
Geography B
French B
R.E. B
Biology B
Chemistry C
Physics C

Thanks.

I think the whole GCSE thing on TSR is completely over-rated. I had offers from Bristol, Sheffield, Loughborough, Reading and Queen Mary with only one A* (History) and 6Bs.
Original post by i-love-coffee
I think the whole GCSE thing on TSR is completely over-rated. I had offers from Bristol, Sheffield, Loughborough, Reading and Queen Mary with only one A* (History) and 6Bs.

SERIOUSLY? I've been stressing over my GCSE grades cuz I did average! and was thinking I wouldnt get into some Unis! But now I feel a bit content and can enjoy summer peacefully haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending