Edinburgh University Part time access course HELP?

Watch this thread
coughsyrupxo
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi everyone, I am new here so bear with me

I moved high schools a lot and ended up dropping out with Access 3 Levels (Scottish Grade), when I was sixteen.

When I was seventeen I studied a part time college course called Entry to education at Edinburgh College but ended up leaving early. No qualifications were obtained from this.

Now I am nineteen, and I have an interview for the Part time access course at Edinburgh University on thursday. I am really pleased as I didn't know I was able to go to any university at all. I am just wondering, what are my chances of getting in? Is the interview easy and what will they ask me? Is there an exam or test?

I don't want false hope if it is a slim chance of getting in, or there are only a few places available that may not be given to me.

If anyone has experience from this course, or any University part time access course, I'd love to hear from you.

I know most people are saying you have to be 21 or over, but the rules changed, it's out of education for 3 years.

Does the part time course at the college count as fornal full time education?

I left school in may 2011 with 5 access qualifications in maths, english, geography, history and science.

And also if youve done the course could you tell me a bit about it
Doc.Daneeka
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I don't have personal experience of these types of access programmes, let alone the Edinburgh one, but if you don't get into it then you can always just do 4-5 part-time Highers at Edinburgh College or another SWAP (Scottish Wider Access Programme) at Edinburgh College. The SWAP programme would probably be the easiest method of getting into a university as you will only do the equivalent of 2/3rds of 3 Highers, but it will restrict you somewhat come applying to university and finding a job afterwards. Of course, all of this is dependant upon what you want to study at uni and then work as.

(Original post by coughsyrupxo)
I'll let you mull that one over yourself.
coughsyrupxo
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi everyone, I am new here so bear with me

I moved high schools a lot and ended up dropping out with Access 3 Levels (Scottish Grade), when I was sixteen.

When I was seventeen I studied a part time college course called Entry to education at Edinburgh College but ended up leaving early. No qualifications were obtained from this.

Now I am nineteen, and I have an interview for the Part time access course at Edinburgh University on thursday. I am really pleased as I didn't know I was able to go to any university at all. I am just wondering, what are my chances of getting in? Is the interview easy and what will they ask me? Is there an exam or test?

I don't want false hope if it is a slim chance of getting in, or there are only a few places available that may not be given to me.

If anyone has experience from this course, or any University part time access course, I'd love to hear from you.

I know most people are saying you have to be 21 or over, but the rules changed, it's out of education for 3 years.

I left school in may 2011 with 5 access qualifications in maths, english, geography, history and science.

And also if youve done the course could you tell me a bit about it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (19)
24.36%
The paper was reasonable (34)
43.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (17)
21.79%
It was TERRIBLE (8)
10.26%

Watched Threads