frizzydinks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am currently looking into University courses and I have narrowed down my choices (sort of) to English/English Lit/Creative Writing/History/Politics (a lot of Unis have different names for the same subjects really so that's just a basic idea). Basically it's mainly English and History I can't decide between- I am veering slightly more towards English but I wondered what people's thoughts were on an English and History Joint Honours Degree? I have heard different things about joint honours- I just want to know whether I'll have the same prospects as someone doing single honours or will I end up worse off because I haven't studied either subject in as much detail? I don't know whether English + Creative Writing Degrees count as Joint Honours or not...I would really like to do creative writing and/or journalism- could I do English and History and study modules in creative writing and journalism AND do a year abroad? Ok that's a little excessive, but that would probably be my dream degree ahaha Also this is just generally about good Unis for history and english- so far UEA, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Exeter and of course Oxbridge (very unlikely I'll get in there though lol) have been ones I've been looking at- does anyone know any other good ones? If I work hard enough I think I could well get AAA/AAB grades- but does anyone know any that still have a highly regarded course without such high entry requirements, just in case I do badly?
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by frizzydinks)
I am currently looking into University courses and I have narrowed down my choices (sort of) to English/English Lit/Creative Writing/History/Politics (a lot of Unis have different names for the same subjects really so that's just a basic idea). Basically it's mainly English and History I can't decide between- I am veering slightly more towards English but I wondered what people's thoughts were on an English and History Joint Honours Degree? I have heard different things about joint honours- I just want to know whether I'll have the same prospects as someone doing single honours or will I end up worse off because I haven't studied either subject in as much detail? I don't know whether English + Creative Writing Degrees count as Joint Honours or not...I would really like to do creative writing and/or journalism- could I do English and History and study modules in creative writing and journalism AND do a year abroad? Ok that's a little excessive, but that would probably be my dream degree ahaha Also this is just generally about good Unis for history and english- so far UEA, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Exeter and of course Oxbridge (very unlikely I'll get in there though lol) have been ones I've been looking at- does anyone know any other good ones? If I work hard enough I think I could well get AAA/AAB grades- but does anyone know any that still have a highly regarded course without such high entry requirements, just in case I do badly?
Employers are unlikely to care about whether or not you did joint honours, especially because in your case it's highly unlikely that they're going to be hiring you for your subject knowledge. They will, however, be hiring you for your skills (can be developed equally well on a single or joint honours course) and your work experience.

With regards to being able to do English & History and then do modules in creative writing and journalism, and then study abroad as well, it's going to depend on the university - it will vary from uni to uni, and you'll need to check the module list at each relevant uni.

I will, however, caution against doing creative writing or journalism as a named part of your degree course (as opposed to the odd module here and there). If you have a look at the degrees that well known journalists have, they tend to be along the lines of PPE, history, politics, English lit etc., rather than journalism. The same goes for creative writing - you don't need it to be an author, and it's not a subject that employers tend to rate.

When working out what uni to apply for, then www.whatuni.com has a course search feature that allows you to search by grade requirements. However, both history and English are very competitive subjects, and as a result the decent unis can require high grades with no need for leniency.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Joint subject degrees are often a very good idea. As above, with a Humanities/Arts subject the subject matter is irrelevant to your future employment prospects - employers just want a graduate with a 'trained brain'.

A few thoughts ....
1) If you are interested in lots of different subject areas, look at a degree called 'Liberal Arts' - you can do units from across the Humanities/Social Sciences AND have a year aboard. Exeter, Birmingham and Bristol as examples.
2) A subject like American Studies would also allow you to study across disciplines - culture, history, literature, politics etc - and do a Year Abroad. UEA is especially good for this subject.
3) Don't do a degree with 'Creative Writing' in the title. It sounds like something you do at Primary school and employers don't like it. Do 'English' that has some CW units within it.
Meat is Murder
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Joint honours are brilliant. There will be a point where everyone gets sick of their subject. With joint honours things stay fresh. When I am sick of English, I turn to Classics and get excited again; then I am bored of Classics and go back to English refreshed.

I would recommend joint honours.
frizzydinks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for all the advice! I think my prolem is that I love literature, history, society and culture and don't really want to narrow down my options, so perhaps joint honours in arts and humanities, liberal arts or societal studies would be a good option for me. I would definitely like to do creative writing, as being a published author is my ultimate goal, but since it doesn't look good for employers as a named degree, is there any way of finding out which universities do the best creative writing modules?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A degree will not make you into a writer. You'd be better off doing short courses like these - http://www.faberacademy.co.uk/Course...FQQFwwodYJAAhA - or just writing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads