Leyla123
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've got a further science physics exam tomorow and really need help understanding what tracers are and how they work in PET Scanners
rubyp97
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Ok..

tracer contain radioactive isotope( an element with an unstable nucleus)
the tracer is injected or inhaled by patients
the tracer concentrates in organs/ tissues that have the same element in of which the tracer is made of eg. fluorine 18 will concentrate into glucose
the isotope decyas and emits a positron
the positron will travel a short distance until it collides with an electron
Annihilation occurs and the particles cancel each other out and produce 2 gamma rays
the gamma rays are then emmited and detected by th PET scan which surrounds body
the location of the tracer can then be located and the cancer/tumor cells can be located

hope this helps
Leyla123
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks you so much 😄
rubyp97
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
your welcome , im sitting the same exam aha anything else i can help with ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.15%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (55)
55.56%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.04%

Watched Threads