Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Especially for some courses they want something like 240 points, sometimes they still have places and may lower it even more for clearing. However for courses like music and drama it isn't too bad because your talent is looked at much more then your grades

Unfourtunately I didn't get the AAC I wanted but I still managed to meet the entry requirement and so did alot of people on here. Yet some people assume Brunel is a very easy university to get into, which is simply not true.
    My friend thought she could get on the English course which asks for 280 points, with DDE.
    I was looking at clearing and I saw the Law course go within the same day of it being posted. The same happened with many other courses.

I don't mean to be rude but it annoys me when people think Brunel is not as good as other universities in london. I think it is improving a great deal and hopefully it will provide me with some great memories when I leave.

It will work in their favour if they increase some of their entry requirements so people take it more seriously.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Given that I know little about Brunel, this is a bit of a stab in the dark, but don't you think it would just make people take it less seriously if it's not really that good and it starts acting like a competitive uni? If no one really wants to go there that much then it needs to build that up before increasing its entry requirements. Otherwise potential applicants will look at it and think "AAA? Bloody hell, I didn't think Brunel was competitive" and just not apply, and people who would normally apply to 'better' universities won't even think of it. So very few people will apply.

It's not just a case of "raise the requirements and the geeks will come rushing", sadly.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a music course there this year so I can only comment on the music side really. Brunel require higher grades for a music course than a music conservatoire do (in the sense you only need a C in music and an E in "another subject" as opposed to the BBC at Brunel.) I think there definitely is a greater emphasis on talent and commitment to musical groups, like choirs and orchestras, as opposed to the academic side of you. As even if you miss the grades you can still get into the university if they think that you show promise and potential. But then, as the senior lecturer at my goldsmiths audition said, musicians are hardly known for their academic qualities! Whice appears to show why music courses are more lenient.

However, with a lot of the courses at Brunel, most applicants tend to get much higher grades than their offers, so judging by this, it may make sense to raise the points required, especially in the more academic more competitive sourses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbellejess)
    However, with a lot of the courses at Brunel, most applicants tend to get much higher grades than their offers, so judging by this, it may make sense to raise the points required, especially in the more academic more competitive sourses.
    I agree that's my point. People who apply usually tend to get higher then predicted so I think they should raise them slightly to reflect this.
    generalebriety I understand your point, but I don't mean they should raise them drastically to put people off, just enough to reflect the capabilities of their students.

ReputationRep:
    The lowest entry requirement to get on to a science course (BSc) even in clearing is 240, however for BA (arty subject + English) its 220. However, to get on to the top\most popular courses, its still hard. E.g. Law was 320 points even in clearing, however 300 points were considered if they passed telephone interview.

One thing you have to remember is the fact that grades are not everything, some people are really rubbish at exams (like me!) but generally very good students. Plus, exams are probably more to do with memory and language and they can be affected by many other different things such as the school the person went to, their family, background, etc.

I think this year generally Brunel was more selective in accepting students than last year, which is a good thing. However they are greedy as they accept a lot of international students (..who pay a lot more in fees, ofcourse).

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.