Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what student bank account to go to...I currently have accounts with halifax and barclays but they dont offer any freebies like hsbc and natwest!! halifax has the best overdraft so i might just upgrade to the student bank account with them as i am already a member.

What student bank account is everyone going for? Also, if anyone knows, can you just sign up for a student bank account say for natwest...get the free rail card and never use the account and not have to pay for anything?

ReputationRep:
    usually when you get a student account, in their contract they say you can only have 1 student account with them and cant have it anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Well, natwest has the best overdraft, think its £1250 and you get a free railcard and iPod Shuffle. I myself am with HSBC because thats always been my bank and I like them, but I'll only be getting £1000 overdraft and 10 cd's or mp4 player.

ReputationRep:
    Natwest offering ipod shuffle? on the website it says its offering a webcam. Is the ipod shuffle exclusive to when you open a bank account in the bank?

ReputationRep:
    its lloyds tsb offering an ipod shuffle not natwest

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Natwest. I was originally planning to stick with Halifax but they are USELESS. I tried sending off my student account application, nothing happened. I rung them, they said they'd sort it, nothing happened. Natwest seem pretty good, I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    oh right, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    First of all when considering a bank account don't be looking at which one offers the best frebbie, this is just a gimmick to get you to join them and you dont get it straight away, you have to prove you've been excepted with a unconditional firm offer...

The main things you need to look at it, customer service, services such as internet banking etc, security and interest on over draft...

When opening a Student account nearly all banks require you to only have accounts with them (you can lie but this can get you into trouble cos it will state in the contract that u only have accounts with them)

Dont go with a bank cos they have a massive over draft...remember the overdraft isnt your money if you go into it when you come to leaving uni they charge heavy interest...

My advice would be to stick with one of the banks your already with, set up internet banking cos that way you can manage your money easily online (helps with budgeting )
    Start with a small over draft ideally £500, over drafts are just a safety net, you want to avoid being in the red

Most student accounts offer interest free over draft for the duration of the course, when your course ends they slap on the interest, as far as i know halifax add on a year to your course (e.g if its a 3 year course you get 4years free interest) this helps you get your money sorted out before the interest is slapped on

Ive been at 2 other unis and this is my 3rd and im about to start my second year (long story short, the first uni i had an injury the second the course was crap...) anyway ive been with Halifax, you dont get any freebies but the most ive been in debt is 59p, ive had to pay for uni by myself and have a job but i found that by using online banking and the inbank support that i can easily manage my money

if you have any other questions just ask

but to sum all this up, if you get on with your bank stick with it

Paul

ReputationRep:
    Basically what he said is true.

I'm sticking with nationwide. I cant be bothered making a new bank account and I generally like them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 21, 2006
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.