The Student Room Group

Physics BSc or MSci? What happens next in both cases?

I've read that applying for an MSci course is recommended for those interested in becoming professional physicists, whereas the BSc is the course more suited to those looking for openings in different professions, eg management, finance, etc, not necessarily in the field of physics.
1) Can anyone clarify this for me?
2) What happens after taking a BSc if someone wants to continue their studies? Is it more difficult to be accepted for an MSc in this case?
3) Does the MSci replace the need to take a master's degree after a BSc?
Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
Original post by adri57
I've read that applying for an MSci course is recommended for those interested in becoming professional physicists, whereas the BSc is the course more suited to those looking for openings in different professions, eg management, finance, etc, not necessarily in the field of physics.
1) Can anyone clarify this for me?
2) What happens after taking a BSc if someone wants to continue their studies? Is it more difficult to be accepted for an MSc in this case?
3) Does the MSci replace the need to take a master's degree after a BSc?
Thanks a lot!

Well I assume applying for a masters course now, or applying post-graduate results in the same standing point. If you want to become a professional physicist however you'll probably need to do a PhD on top of everything, if you want to be a serious contender for high-grade jobs.
Reply 2
People who graduate with a BSc. tend to go into fields other than research, whilst most people with an MSci end up pursuing further study or working in an industry heavily based around physics. That's not to say you can't go into research with a bachelors, just that you have to pursue a separate masters or PhD places will be even more competitive.

You can go straight from the BSc. to a PhD, but it is more difficult. Top physics universities will provide BSc. students with a decent amount of research experience in their final year, which helps bridge this gap.

The general advice given is to apply for the MSc. over the BSc. - it's much easier to move down later on than to switch upwards. And as most universities deal with applications for both courses in the same way, there really isn't much of a difference in terms of difficulty in getting accepted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending