Uni of Hertfordshire English Literature Reading List?! 2014

Watch
_amanns
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm studying, provided that results day goes down well, English Literature BAHons at the University of Hertfordshire and i've been looking everywhere for a reading list for the first year
someone? anyone?
KJane
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by _amanns)
I'm studying, provided that results day goes down well, English Literature BAHons at the University of Hertfordshire and i've been looking everywhere for a reading list for the first year
someone? anyone?
The reading list has to be finalized by the module leader, and I know that this year the English department are revamping the first year modules. If you haven't received them yet, you will do soon when they're ready.
purplesophie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KJane)
The reading list has to be finalized by the module leader, and I know that this year the English department are revamping the first year modules. If you haven't received them yet, you will do soon when they're ready.
Will this be something that we receive by post or email? Is there a chance of having reading assessments to do before our first class?
KJane
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by purplesophie)
Will this be something that we receive by post or email? Is there a chance of having reading assessments to do before our first class?
It'll be made available online, I've never received a reading list through the post. Don't worry too much about the reading list, the University is prepared for Humanities students to change or take up their subject modules in the first week (induction week.) So in that case you'd be getting a reading list when you start.

Nope, no reading assessments. Logistically it'd be a nightmare to arrange, they just give you the reading list and hope you get on with it. (Reading the entire thing before term starts isn't necessary, just make sure you keep ahead of the reading for each scheduled week.)
purplesophie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hiya, I recently received joining instructions, so here's what I could find on reading lists:

Essential (for English Literature)

Great Expectations- Charles Dickens
Lady Audley's Secret- Mary Braddon
The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume E

The PDF also has some suggested desirable readings:

Victorian Literature and culture- Maureen Moran
The Fin de Siecle: A reader in cultural history c. 1880-1900- Sally Ledger, Roger Luckhurst
Literature in the modern world: Critical essays and Documents (2nd ed.)- Dennis Walder

All of these can be found on Amazon, but the prices vary quite dramatically. Apparently there's a discount for students who buy the Norton Anthology and Great Expectations together from the Waterstones store in the Hatfield Galleria.
If anybody would like the reading suggestions from any other parts of the Humanities programmes, please contact me
meeran3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you! I was so unsure about the reading list... however, I think there is another novel which has to be read beforehand as the author herself is attending one of the introduction days:/
lucy.hy31
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by meeran3)
Thank you! I was so unsure about the reading list... however, I think there is another novel which has to be read beforehand as the author herself is attending one of the introduction days:/

Yeah its 26a by Diana Evans. I got the reading list from a link on the email Herts sent me when I got offered a place
purplesophie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
26a is a fantastic book, quite tearful in places! I can't wait to meet the author in freshers week!
meeran3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lucy.hy31)
Yeah its 26a by Diana Evans. I got the reading list from a link on the email Herts sent me when I got offered a place

Thank you
meeran3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lucy.hy31)
Thank you
mluthfaa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Purplesophie,

I am going to be studying English literature and English Language Teaching at Hertforshire this september. do you happen to know what my reading list would be ?

thank you
purplesophie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mluthfaa)
Hi Purplesophie,

I am going to be studying English literature and English Language Teaching at Hertforshire this september. do you happen to know what my reading list would be ?

thank you

Hi there. My PDF doesn't seem to have anything on English Language Teaching, so perhaps it's a different pdf? Sorry!
mluthfaa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there. My PDF doesn't seem to have anything on English Language Teaching, so perhaps it's a different pdf? Sorry!

Hey, Actually its exactly what you are doing. I did receive the same reading list. Did you manage to buy the books? I could not find the Norton Anthology of english lit at waterstones.

I have a question. When does uni actually start?
purplesophie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mluthfaa)
Hey, Actually its exactly what you are doing. I did receive the same reading list. Did you manage to buy the books? I could not find the Norton Anthology of english lit at waterstones.

I have a question. When does uni actually start?
Yeh I've brought most of the books now.. 26a, lady Audley's Secret and some of the books for language and communication. (already have great expectations)
I found the Norton anthology on amazon, as well as on the waterstones marketplace. Just remember to get the correct volume and edition
First day of university is 29th September!
roisinramone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just to clarify, the Norton Anthology is definitely volume E, right? I saw that on the reading list which was emailed to me, however when I asked in-store for it at Waterstones they said it was unavailable. They did have volume 1 and 2, but no "volume E". Just want to ensure it is definitely called "volume E" before I go ahead and spent around £20 on it. Thanks
purplesophie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by roisinramone)
Just to clarify, the Norton Anthology is definitely volume E, right? I saw that on the reading list which was emailed to me, however when I asked in-store for it at Waterstones they said it was unavailable. They did have volume 1 and 2, but no "volume E". Just want to ensure it is definitely called "volume E" before I go ahead and spent around £20 on it. Thanks
Yes it's definitely called The Norton anthology of English literature volume E. Be sure to buy the newest edition as it has some additional materials in it. Do a Google search and find the Norton website before you buy it!
roisinramone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes it's definitely called The Norton anthology of English literature volume E. Be sure to buy the newest edition as it has some additional materials in it. Do a Google search and find the Norton website before you buy it!
Alright, cheers
mluthfaa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeh I've brought most of the books now.. 26a, lady Audley's Secret and some of the books for language and communication. (already have great expectations)
I found the Norton anthology on amazon, as well as on the waterstones marketplace. Just remember to get the correct volume and edition
First day of university is 29th September!

Thank you.
i foundthis one on amazon. is it the correct version?http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Norton-A...ish+literature
purplesophie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Looks like the right one to me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (40)
27.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
8.33%
No I am happy with my choice (82)
56.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (10)
6.94%

Watched Threads