Medical Students Only - Heart Palpitations

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So over the past few months I have experienced heart palpitations, I ignored it for a few months until one day I had 3 quite painful ones spanning over 30 seconds. I decided it was best to get it checked out and go to the GP, I got an ECG, blood pressure and an examination with a stethoscope.

The GP told me everything was fine with the ECG, nothing could be found suggesting anything bad and just to go on my way. I asked him what he thought the cause was and his reply "I'm a GP, I don't have an answer for everything"

Now I'm still getting heart palpitations every few days and to be honest, its concerning. Should I get my GP to conduct further examinations to rule out any arrhythmia? Or just let it continue and accept that everything is potentially all right?

(My palpitations are characterized by my heart speeding up, stopping and resulting in pressure on the left side of the chest, then returns to normal. Usually never involves pain)
honeywhite
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So over the past few months I have experienced heart palpitations, I ignored it for a few months until one day I had 3 quite painful ones spanning over 30 seconds. I decided it was best to get it checked out and go to the GP, I got an ECG, blood pressure and an examination with a stethoscope.

The GP told me everything was fine with the ECG, nothing could be found suggesting anything bad and just to go on my way. I asked him what he thought the cause was and his reply "I'm a GP, I don't have an answer for everything"

Now I'm still getting heart palpitations every few days and to be honest, its concerning. Should I get my GP to conduct further examinations to rule out any arrhythmia? Or just let it continue and accept that everything is potentially all right?

(My palpitations are characterized by my heart speeding up, stopping and resulting in pressure on the left side of the chest, then returns to normal. Usually never involves pain)
Try, in order of importance: cardiac event recorder, self-test pressure after palpitations (keep a log), and (if traced to high blood pressure or stress) propranolol.
Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

You should go back to your GP and explain your concerns. Your doctor should recommend a portable ECG, or holter monitor, which you can wear for 24 hours, and when you feel a palpitation you will press a button. The button will then tell the ECG to save the last however many minutes of recordings.

An ECG is likely to show no changes if you are not having the palpitations while it is recording and therefore if you want to know more about these palpitations this portable ECG is the next step.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (29)
16.2%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (56)
31.28%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (20)
11.17%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.94%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (8)
4.47%
I think it's an unfair expectation (47)
26.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.68%

Watched Threads