Dhanu N
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Poojasri)
Hi, I have finished my 10th Standard Board exams in India (Tamilnadu State Board, SSC) SSLC and got 97% in the board exams and have applied for sixth form in UK grammar school and got an offer to enrol and earlier I have submitted mark sheet in June '2019 and school asked us to get the NARIC certificate before enrollment. My Parents applied for NARIC and they have graded D-G which is quite shocking for us and confused how we can get into any sixth form admission. can anyone guide or help us for the next steps
hi, I've recently got my GCSE with grade C and Ds, does it results to 90% if I convert them from GCSE to Stateboard?
Last edited by Dhanu N; 2 months ago
Revathi star
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sreedhanya)
Hi dear, Iam having the same concern with my son too. He would be finishing his cbse grade 10 boards on March 2021 and planning to join me in the UK after that . But equivalence of cbse to GCSE is worrying me. Could you please tell me how you found out the solution for your problem so that it could help me solve mine.TIA..
I just put my cbse grades infront of my admissions office i got 93.4%.
i didnt put the naric ones as i know we cant get any where with those , and i was careful not to mention about those.
at the end i was taken in for sixth form.
best of luck to your son. btw i changed my name from mehbooba to revati so the prev answer was mine.
ndnd_ndnd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi dear, Iam having the same concern with my son too. He would be finishing his cbse grade 10 boards on March 2021 and planning to join me in the UK after that . But equivalence of cbse to GCSE is worrying me. Could you please tell me how you found out the solution for your problem so that it could help me solve mine.TIA..
Hi there, It's been a while since I last logged into this account but since people are still asking questions about CBSE, I thought I would reply.
Luckily, one of the sixth form colleges in my area had a lot of international students and therefore were more familiar with Indian qualifications than some other sixth form. I suggest you try including sixth forms with international students for your application if possible. After passing 10th grade (CBSE) in early 2014 in India, I was able to start A levels at a sixth form in September 2014 in the UK. After sending out my application, the college invited me for an interview where I had to show my immigration status as well as my qualifications. They made me sit a Math and English test on the day of the interview. I have always done well on those subjects so it wasn't a problem for me and I easily passed. If you have done well at Mathematics at 10th grade in India, those kinds of tests will definitely be easy. Since everything is in English, if your son has a good comprehension of it, he will get through.
Once I started school, they enrolled me on an additional ESOL course (which is a basic English course) along with my 4 other A-level courses since I was new to the country. They made us write essays in English during the first ESOL lesson but since my essays were already above standard, they said I did not have to take that extra course anymore
Frankly, I knew how to read and write English well since I read a lot of books as a kid but speaking was a challenge for me since I had never done it much. But I prepared as much as I could and got into the school. After living in this country for 6+ years, I have definitely gotten much better at it and am fluent now. I am currently in medical school and doing okay so do reassure your son that things can turn out okay.
I think the main things are to make sure your results for CBSE 10th grade board exams are great (between A-C). Best if they're all A since people here tend to look down on Indian qualifications unjustly imo. For English, they might not consider the qualification equivalent to GCSE, so if you do an IELTS test in advance and show them your results, they would have no excuse if you score well. I think universities find an IELTS score of 7.5 acceptable so if you get that much, being eligible for A-levels should not be a problem. It definitely helps if you write a cover letter with each of your application explaining your circumstances and qualifications. Do the IELTS in advance. Make sure your application and cover letters are written in good English. Do well on the board exams and be ready for a maths and English test at the sixth form just in case. I know that some of my other schoolmates from India (who all had very good results) had to take an extra year after 10th grade before starting A-levels in the UK. I think they try to bring student up to speed with English and other stuff. I did not have to do the same so I believe I avoided that by doing well on IELTS and the Math/English test.
If you need more advice, feel free to reach out. I found the process quite stressful 6 years ago since I knew I had the aptitude to do A-levels but quite a few schools turned me away. I am more than happy to help anyone else in this situation. Since I realise that quite a few people are having the same problem, I can make an online group or send my contact info (since I am not on the studentroom much) if you or anyone you know are having the same problem in the future. Let me know if anyone would like that.

Best wishes and good luck,
N

Edit: also India you get result for 10th grade early in the year so even if you join A levels in September later that year, you will still be in the same age group as the new A level students because the UK school year starts later than in India. So if you finish 10th grade at the end of 2020, UK students finish their GCSEs in June 2021 so if you move to the UK in between those times, you will both still be in the same year group in September 2021.
Last edited by ndnd_ndnd; 1 month ago
Revathi star
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ndnd_ndnd)
Hi there, It's been a while since I last logged into this account but since people are still asking questions about CBSE, I thought I would reply.
Luckily, one of the sixth form colleges in my area had a lot of international students and therefore were more familiar with Indian qualifications than some other sixth form. I suggest you try including sixth forms with international students for your application if possible. After passing 10th grade (CBSE) in early 2014 in India, I was able to start A levels at a sixth form in September 2014 in the UK. After sending out my application, the college invited me for an interview where I had to show my immigration status as well as my qualifications. They made me sit a Math and English test on the day of the interview. I have always done well on those subjects so it wasn't a problem for me and I easily passed. If you have done well at Mathematics at 10th grade in India, those kinds of tests will definitely be easy. Since everything is in English, if your son has a good comprehension of it, he will get through.
Once I started school, they enrolled me on an additional ESOL course (which is a basic English course) along with my 4 other A-level courses since I was new to the country. They made us write essays in English during the first ESOL lesson but since my essays were already above standard, they said I did not have to take that extra course anymore
Frankly, I knew how to read and write English well since I read a lot of books as a kid but speaking was a challenge for me since I had never done it much. But I prepared as much as I could and got into the school. After living in this country for 6+ years, I have definitely gotten much better at it and am fluent now. I am currently in medical school and doing okay so do reassure your son that things can turn out okay.
I think the main things are to make sure your results for CBSE 10th grade board exams are great (between A-C). Best if they're all A since people here tend to look down on Indian qualifications unjustly imo. For English, they might not consider the qualification equivalent to GCSE, so if you do an IELTS test in advance and show them your results, they would have no excuse if you score well. I think universities find an IELTS score of 7.5 acceptable so if you get that much, being eligible for A-levels should not be a problem. It definitely helps if you write a cover letter with each of your application explaining your circumstances and qualifications. Do the IELTS in advance. Make sure your application and cover letters are written in good English. Do well on the board exams and be ready for a maths and English test at the sixth form just in case. I know that some of my other schoolmates from India (who all had very good results) had to take an extra year after 10th grade before starting A-levels in the UK. I think they try to bring student up to speed with English and other stuff. I did not have to do the same so I believe I avoided that by doing well on IELTS and the Math/English test.
If you need more advice, feel free to reach out. I found the process quite stressful 6 years ago since I knew I had the aptitude to do A-levels but quite a few schools turned me away. I am more than happy to help anyone else in this situation. Since I realise that quite a few people are having the same problem, I can make an online group or send my contact info (since I am not on the studentroom much) if you or anyone you know are having the same problem in the future. Let me know if anyone would like that.

Best wishes and good luck,
N
Thank you so much! Can you tell me if you did medicine in the UK did they accept your cbse qualifications and which ones school did so? Can you also tell me your a level grades. But we're you registered as an international applicant in uni?
Sorry for these many questions it's just i am in the same situation.
Thanks xx
elaandra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi dear, Iam having the same concern with my son too. He would be finishing his cbse grade 10 boards on March 2021 and planning to join me in the UK after that . But equivalence of cbse to GCSE is worrying me. Could you please tell me how you found out the solution for your problem so that it could help me solve mine

Hey Sreedhanya,
I will be leaving to the UK to join my parents, after i write the class 10 boards in march 2021.
and this very disturbing news to find out our grades wont be correctly converted,
I would really appreciate if you could tell me what you did for your son?
please get back to me asap..
I can send you my email address if you want?
ndnd_ndnd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Revathi star)
Thank you so much! Can you tell me if you did medicine in the UK did they accept your cbse qualifications and which ones school did so? Can you also tell me your a level grades. But we're you registered as an international applicant in uni?
Sorry for these many questions it's just i am in the same situation.
Thanks xx
Hi, when I applied to university, they mostly looked at my A level grades and from the UK and less so my Class 10 grades so all the university accepted the grades. I applied to Queen Mary University of London, King's college London, Southampton and UCL. I had already been a resident in the UK for a few years with an indefinite leave to remain by then and my mother had a UK travel document so I was considered a home student (if you are confused about the fee status just ask your career counsellor for guidance or contact the university in advance). My A Level (AQA board) grades were Mathematics A*, Biology A*, Chemistry A, Physics A and EPQ A.
you also have to do UKCAT or BMAT depending on the university so make sure to prepare well for them. Look at the University admission criteria as some university put more emphasis on UKCAT scores, some on A levels and others on personal statement. so you can use that info to choose the university according to your strength.
Nobel 786
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Mehbhooba)
The same happened to me i did in hyderabad , india this year i applied to sixth form im in year 12 but ,i got same grades so i had no option but to hide it and send my normal results and making them understand.
The reason this happens is gcse students happen to study for 11 years and are 1 year elder than us .
But it is clear that we have gone rigorous training and have got harder things than them to do,.
I didnt get in a grammar but i fot in a good state school so i am happy at the moment.
And also i happen to be an year younger than my peers.
Hi. Where do you live in England. Iam from Hyderabad too but here since 2013.
Revathi star
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Nobel 786)
Hi. Where do you live in England. Iam from Hyderabad too but here since 2013.
Liverpool
Nobel 786
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Revathi star)
Liverpool
Are you originally too from Hyd/?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (482)
51.77%
No (449)
48.23%

Watched Threads