The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Guardian : Women's football is not popular because of sexism

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/world-cup-women-sexism

Men's football is loved in Britain simply because the players are men, and men like watching other men play football, and what men like to do and like to watch is, de facto, culturally important. Even the fact the men's World Cup is not explicitly stated to be a men's competition erases women I predict there will be little fuss made of the Women's World Cup in Canada next year.

Scroll to see replies

It is a well known fact that women are incapable of understanding the offside rule.

But if all women loved watching women play football then womens football would be huge. Womens football isn't popular because of money. Money talks. If there's a market for it, trust me.. it will happen.
(edited 9 years ago)
Women's football isn't popular because it's ****. Seriously, have any of these people watched a game of women's football? It's utterly dire. It's the same in tennis. Women's tennis is slower and displays far less skill when compared with the men's game.
Reply 4
I've seen quite a few feminists claim women's sports in general aren't popular because of sexism and that even if the quality is lower people would still watch them as much as men's sports in a world without discrimination. Plus, women train just as hard and to them that's as important as Ibrahimovic scoring a goal or Nadal making a shot no woman could in a million years. Same reason they use for justifying equal prizes at Wimbledon.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic branded 'boring' and 'sad' for women's football remarks

When I come out in Europe they compare me to [Lionel] Messi and [Cristiano] Ronaldo. When I come home they compare me to a female player. With all respect for the ladies, they should be rewarded in relation to what they generate [financially].

"I was asked [by Swedish media] in the summer who was the better player, me or [Sweden striker] Lotta Schelin. You're joking with me, right? When I've broken all these records, this goal record, the goals in the national team, who shall I compare it to? Shall I compare it to whoever has the record, or the ladies?"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/26/zlatan-ibrahimovic-branded-boring-sad-womens-football-remarks
Womens football lol. You know why it's not cared about? B!tch pls, it's not sexism or whatever you may wanna come up with. It's cos it's pure **** and boring. Sometimes you gotta accept stuff. Simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
lmao Women Football. What a joke.
Men can play sports better than women because men are more athletic.

Women's football is at least 100 years behind men's football- men's football is actually a profession while women's is a part time job at best
Reply 8
"You could argue that the Fifa World Cup is also ageist and disablist."

Unbelievable. She can't actually believe this stuff. :lol:
Why is she arguing that the women's world cup should be given equal provenance to the men's in the name of equality, rather than that women should be allowed to play in the men's world cup?
What a joke....

Men's football is better and more valuable....that is why it gets the attention it deserves.
Women's football don't deserve the same attention as men's just because of equality, that's just bs.
Men's football is loved in Britain simply because the players are faster on average, technically more gifted on average, players stronger on average, players produce more powerful shots on average - I could go on and on. The simple fact is all these factors make it better to watch.

Also, she forgets to mention the mass amount of women who watch men's sport because they think they're hot and wish to objectify them as opposed to watch a competitive sport.

Hypocrite.

Original post by scriggy
"You could argue that the Fifa World Cup is also ageist and disablist."

Unbelievable. She can't actually believe this stuff. :lol:

The worrying thing is they do. A lot of these people are university educated mind.
Reply 12
'Is it anti-feminist to watch the world cup'

Oh jesus.
To be honest. I have to agree with article.

It is ridiculous to say that Women's football is not as or more entertaining than men's football.

Did anyone even watch the 1998 Women's FA Cup Final ?
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't really care about this but I don't see any reason why women's football couldn't become popular enough to supports itself. I mean look at al the hype around certain female athletes at the Olympic games. Sure they are on the whole not as good as their male counter parts but that didn't stop people being interested in it.
Unless you get eye candy on the pitch then it will never become mainstream
Reply 16
Original post by Blue_Mason
Unless you get eye candy on the pitch then it will never become mainstream

That's pretty much the only reason that women's tennis is the only popular female sport outside the olympics, which is more of a worldly/social event. That and attaching the female grand slam tournaments to the men's. Take out the hot east-euro chicks in skimpy outfits and female tennis is dead within a week, like the rest of them .
Her profile pic says it all lol
It's not popular because the standard is absolutely appalling. If you go to any park on a Sunday morning, the standard of those Sunday League games won't be too much different.

I don't like all this gender politics that seems to have become a lot more mainstream lately.
Reply 19
Why would I, at all, be interested in women's football when I can watch a greater display of skill in my town's local under 16s Sunday league?
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest