Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I have a feeling the adidas one was a preserve of the males. Oddly, most of my childhood 'girlfriends' ended up having kids before they left school! (not to me)
    Funny that, today I was discussing with my mates the girls (and many of them) who left our school in year 11 and went on to have babies.

My mate said "What the hell are they all doing!"
    I replied "Having sex maybe (?)"
    "Oh yeah thanks for that (!)"...

ReputationRep:
    On that note I was trying to get some code to 'say' a yoda-like sentence, as in:

try
    {
    !(do | doNot)
    thereIsNo();
    try
    {

But its harder than it seems!
    lol cool, have you got any othr projects on at the moment?
    ive got to design and make a program for a vehicle hire company for a uni project...

ReputationRep:
    Wait til you get to my age then look on friends reunited. I feel like I'm one of only a few not yet married with children!
    I can just imagine. Maybe we should predict what everyone's going to end up like later on.

(I meant me and my mates but we could do it here on UKL...)

ReputationRep:
    Wait til you get to my age then look on friends reunited. I feel like I'm one of only a few not yet married with children!
    My dad looks at that and finds many of his old friends and teachers are dead...

ReputationRep:

XTinaA: I have an ongoing sweepstake with some old school friends as to which of us will die first
    Stay off the **** and kerching!

ReputationRep:
    Or I could resort to murder.
    you better, before they get the same idea..

ReputationRep:
    Movies have been made on much weaker storylines than this suggests.
    i saw "shaun of the dead" the other day whihc has a weak storyline, but it was reasonably funny

ReputationRep:
    I watched the Italian Job last night. Decent but not a patch on the original.
    i saw that when it was at the cinema, it was quite cool

i really want to see passion of the christ

ReputationRep:
    Apparently its gory.

I'm having real trouble typing normally after all that haiku!
    yeh, ive heard its really graphic! thats why i wanna see it

ReputationRep:
    With a mind as twisted as that you should be able to think of some programs for me to write!
    make an intelligent agent

ReputationRep:
    Like Smith from the matrix?
    yeh, but make him better this time..

ReputationRep:
    I had thought of doing something with natural language actually, but I get so swamped with ideas its difficult to visualise them all. I suppose I'd better just start with a simple version.
    i was looking at the code behind alicebot, it uses AIML (artificial intellegence markup language)

http://www.alicebot.org/aiml/O.aiml

looks easy, but really boring - alicebot is really good tho

ReputationRep:
    lol:

<pattern>SUCK MY *</pattern>
    - <template>
    I don't think I'm your type of chatterbot.
    - <think>

ReputationRep:
    Its limited in scope I reckon, I looked at AIML before. I'm thinking of something from the ground up, with a view to making it into skynet/matrix/self-aware-killing-machine!
    right, i'll know who to blame when all the earths nukes are lauched then

----------------------------
    - <template>
    <srai>I SUFFER FROM SYPHILIS</srai>
    </template>

right........ ok

ReputationRep:
    actually, when you look at the code you can see loads gaps..

whats one million plus one million?
    Two.

he lives with no hope.
    Is that a nice place to live?

you can see gaps on almost every line of code, my opinion of alicebot has lessened, it doesnt seem as clever anymore

ReputationRep:
    It isn't at all.

I was thinking about a program that could do real natural language - the problem is can you imagine how long it would take to gather and arrange the data? It'd need thousands of words
    yeh it would take ages..

there are loads of problems aswell, such as words spelt the same which have different meanings and what not.

ReputationRep:
    That would be dealt with by syntatic analysis (or is it lexical, never can remember, should have paid more attention in compilers lectures). I'm having a hard time imagining a way for meanings of words to be represented programmatically though. What I mean is, I can 'know' what a word means without knowing the dictionary definition, just by inference from hearing it being used, so how would that be represented? Not straightforward...
    it seems almost impossible to make a computer actually understand what a word means - you can't use words to describe it because how will it know what those words mean

ReputationRep:
    How do we do it? It must be possible to simulate a similar method.
    well when we learn our first words, we probably learn what words mean by seeing them in the real world or seeing pictures, or other ways visually.
    this would be hard to simulate on a computer

ReputationRep:
    Johnny 5 could do it!

ReputationRep:
    We can make a computer see too, e.g. webcam.
    yeh i guess

you would have to make the computer able to recognise objects.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.