Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to go to any university this year and do any course but be allowed to retake some a-levels too? If so is it also possible to reapply to 6 different unis and then drop out or leave the uni that i will be studying at this year.

ReputationRep:
    Probably, but that would be a big waste of 3-5 grand. Wouldnt a gap year be a slightly more intelligent option?....

ReputationRep:
    i know its a big waste of money but trust me on this i have to go to uni because of my parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manj14)
    i know its a big waste of money but trust me on this i have to go to uni because of my parents.
    I know what you mean. i just got AS results and was gutted, thinking Id have to take a gap year and apply to uni when I have full a-levels. My parents didnt like the idea, but at the end of the day if I had to do that to get where I want in life I would. Im guessing you could do far more productive thingss in a gap year to aid your later application than wasting time and money at a uni you dont want to be at. How have you improved your chances apart from grades if you retake a-levels there? If you took a gap year you could do something that would really give you the edge over others, for places at unis like oxbridge etc.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your advice i really have to think about all my options before i do anything. I'm still not sure whether to go to uni or not but will have to quickley decide as most of the universities in clearing are unlikely to wait long for an answer

ReputationRep:
    im thinking about doing that. i dont think its a waste of money, you can easily find £3. u can make it back if u get a summer job.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you can earn the money back, doesnt mean that it is not a waste spending it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Dont bother with it. It wont look good to the uni's. Get a job and get a gap year, even if its shelf stacking in a supermarket. If you are so desperate to move out of home, move into a cosy flat.

Its your life and going to uni, doing the course (because they will expect you to do the work regardless) doing resits and doing UCAS, plus earning all that dosh back is a big thing.

And remember its 3K tuition fees, plus living costs.

ReputationRep:
    just interested to see if anyone is doing this, as i'm not 100% sure that i want to go to my insurance choice, but don't know if i could face waiting a whole year before going to uni, or if i could bear all my friends being away there.

Is there no where you like through clearing?

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously considering reapplying next year, due to poor A levels resulting in being rejected from both firm and insurance. I have found some places through clearing, but not any at the better universities.

My insurance has the same course I wanted to do on clearing, but I don't have enough points to get in, even through clearing.

I know I can improve my grades drastically if I were to retake some A2 modules. Is it worth retaking the year to get into a better university? Will universities have higher expectations if I am to retake?

Also if I do retake and reapply, would I need to withdraw my Ucas application? Do I need to inform exam boards? Could I use the same personal statement? I would probably apply to the same course at the same university.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me what else I would need to know about retaking modules and reapplying again next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyq)
    I'm seriously considering reapplying next year, due to poor A levels resulting in being rejected from both firm and insurance. I have found some places through clearing, but not any at the better universities.

My insurance has the same course I wanted to do on clearing, but I don't have enough points to get in, even through clearing.

I know I can improve my grades drastically if I were to retake some A2 modules. Is it worth retaking the year to get into a better university? Will universities have higher expectations if I am to retake?

Also if I do retake and reapply, would I need to withdraw my Ucas application? Do I need to inform exam boards? Could I use the same personal statement? I would probably apply to the same course at the same university.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me what else I would need to know about retaking modules and reapplying again next year.
    Have you looked into foundation courses? Some top unis (bath,sussex) do it for computing science.

Iw ould recommend doing the above, if you think you can improve your grades drastically. But bare in mind doing well in A2 is much harder then doing well at AS.

ReputationRep:
    probably depends what else you do that year.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I've been forced into a gap year so yes. I didn't want to go through clearing and had no insurance offer. I'm not the sort of person that settles for second best.

ReputationRep:
    worldwide, if you don't want to go to Sheffield, don't go. I know your first choice was Bristol, and if you're dying to go there, why not re-take and re-apply? You don't want to waste time and money on getting a degree from a place where you're not 100% sure you want to be.

ReputationRep:
    I just got my results back, and was predicted AAA. However, I got ABB, i'm devastated, I missed my A's by 4 and 7 ums points.. I feel like.. oh man. I missed my firm.

Would re-taking this january be worth it? i'm sure i'll be able to bump the B's up to A's, but, doesn't the top universities frown upon people who re-take some modules in their A2 levels? Wouldn't I effectively have to take 2 gap years? (because after having AAA in january (please God) I wouldn't want to settle for anything other than a top uni, and i'd doubt they accept with ABB).

Thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suga_fly_77)
    why not re-take and re-apply?
    Would Bristol frown upon the fact that he's retaking some A2 modules? and perhaps reject him for that reason (even if he does get straight A's in january at the end). Furthermore, considering he takes ANOTHER gap year, with straight A's.. would the uni's from upon the fact that he had to retake his A level to get those A's? I ask because this is the position I am in.

thanks
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Have you phoned your firm up to make sure they don't still want you? Explaining you only missed by a few UMS points might convince them.

If so, sorry to hear it. You could retake this January (declaring AS results, as if you were a normal candidate) and apply again now (by mid-October for Oxbridge / medicine etc. courses, and so on, you know the rest), but as for whether they'd frown upon it... ask them. Phone them up before you decide what you're going to do. Don't forget, though, they may well not accept you a second time round. No one knows whether they'll do that or not. But the only way to find out for sure whether they would automatically reject someone with retaken modules is to ask them. I doubt this is true, especially in your case, since you missed by a few UMS points - I think they would be more likely to reject if, say, someone got BCD and retook and got AAB. It shows they're a slow learner, and not nearly good enough for uni life... but phone them up, explain your situation, see what happens.

Good luck, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I got BBB for my A2 results, (need AAB - which im very very close too) and was wondering, if I wanted to stay on a year at my college and retake, can i retake certain AS modules? -do i have to decline BOTH my AS and A2 grades to retake a unit from my AS module?

Also not sure whether to go to Lancaster, this was my insurance choice which iv been accepted, but not sure whether to stay on a year, and apply back to Warwick, with higher grades, hoping to get in? - would it be worth it? likeliness of me getting an offer again from here?

ReputationRep:
    generalebriety offers some golden advice there... it'd be a huge pity if you had to retake several modules just to bump up those grades. But yes, the cruel reality is that ABB and AAA would expose you to universities of, IMO, substantially different quality and calibre.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.