The Student Room Group

IB Advice?

Hi everyone!

It's official that I got into a school which provides IB Diploma and I'm pretty certain that I'll be doing it next year.

Meanwhile... do you guys have any tips and advice to help me? Your help would be really appreciated :smile:

Thank you!
Wooo! Congrats, I'm sure you will love it :smile: Anyway, I've just finished the IB so might be able to help you. Let me just start off by saying the IB is a sort of roller-coaster ride but you'll be glad you did it :biggrin:

So here's my like top 5 Tips to conquering the IB:
1) Sorting your choices- It is important to pick the subjects that you are happy with as you will be studying them for a the next two years of your life. I'd start off by looking at what your school/college/sixth form have to offer in each of the IB Groups and which ones you would particularly enjoy as these will more than likely become your higher levels. If you have a career or a course that you want to do at university in mind, pick subjects that relate to that and also choose subjects that will get you where you want to be after the IB.

2) Time Management- I cannot stress this enough. Learn this skill! You will have six subjects to learn over the two years so you need to be able to organise your time well. You need to manage the amount of time you spend doing essays, coursework ect for each subject.

3) Don't procrastinate- Pretty self explanatory: Don't waste time when you have tons of things to do.

4) Don't loose your head- It's pretty easy to feel down when doing the IB because it is hard work. However, it is also rewarding. If things get too hard or you struggle, ask friends, family, teachers, whoever to support you :smile: Oh, and the Theory of Knowledge aspect is pretty weird as well. You'll be saying 'What's going on?' to yourself every 5 seconds in that lesson.

5) Have fun!

Hope this helps :smile:
Work consistently through out the year. Especially if you're doing HL Maths - just practise practise practise.

Also, use this guy for Chemistry if you're taking it.
What Alunzar said. Also, get all the CAS hours out of your way ASAP so you have plenty of time to revise in second year :smile:
Which subjects are you going to be studying? There are some subjects like biology that have lots of revision guides online.
Original post by Alunzar
Wooo! Congrats, I'm sure you will love it :smile: Anyway, I've just finished the IB so might be able to help you. Let me just start off by saying the IB is a sort of roller-coaster ride but you'll be glad you did it :biggrin:

So here's my like top 5 Tips to conquering the IB:
1) Sorting your choices- It is important to pick the subjects that you are happy with as you will be studying them for a the next two years of your life. I'd start off by looking at what your school/college/sixth form have to offer in each of the IB Groups and which ones you would particularly enjoy as these will more than likely become your higher levels. If you have a career or a course that you want to do at university in mind, pick subjects that relate to that and also choose subjects that will get you where you want to be after the IB.

2) Time Management- I cannot stress this enough. Learn this skill! You will have six subjects to learn over the two years so you need to be able to organise your time well. You need to manage the amount of time you spend doing essays, coursework ect for each subject.

3) Don't procrastinate- Pretty self explanatory: Don't waste time when you have tons of things to do.

4) Don't loose your head- It's pretty easy to feel down when doing the IB because it is hard work. However, it is also rewarding. If things get too hard or you struggle, ask friends, family, teachers, whoever to support you :smile: Oh, and the Theory of Knowledge aspect is pretty weird as well. You'll be saying 'What's going on?' to yourself every 5 seconds in that lesson.

5) Have fun!

Hope this helps :smile:

I'm having quite a dilemma about choosing between subjects... Could you help me out by reading my other post?

I'm pretty good at time management. I DO procrastinate, but hey, who doesn't? I know when is the time to stop doing that though ;D

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Bude8
Work consistently through out the year. Especially if you're doing HL Maths - just practise practise practise.

Also, use this guy for Chemistry if you're taking it.

Got that :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by shopoholic
What Alunzar said. Also, get all the CAS hours out of your way ASAP so you have plenty of time to revise in second year :smile:
Which subjects are you going to be studying? There are some subjects like biology that have lots of revision guides online.

I've heard lots of people saying that now CAS doesn't require an exact 150 hours anymore... so how much is enough?

I think I'm going to take...

English Literature HL

French Ab Initio

Economics HL

Biology HL

Mathematics SL

(not sure if I should take Art and Design or another subject...)

However, some told me that I should take Vietnamese and English B since my first language is Vietnamese, so I don't know what is the best fit for me. I love English literature though :c
Original post by nguyendieulinh27
I've heard lots of people saying that now CAS doesn't require an exact 150 hours anymore... so how much is enough?

I think I'm going to take...

English Literature HL

French Ab Initio

Economics HL

Biology HL

Mathematics SL

(not sure if I should take Art and Design or another subject...)

However, some told me that I should take Vietnamese and English B since my first language is Vietnamese, so I don't know what is the best fit for me. I love English literature though :c

I wouldn't know about that but I finished IB in May 2013 and at that time, we were required to do 150 hours or more. I did like 190 hours if I remember correctly.

I did English language and literature A HL but a girl in my class did just literature and from what I saw, it's not that difficult :smile: If you're good at analysing texts and their meaning then by all means go for it! Are you good at biology? I did SL but everyone who did HL seemed to complain a lot about the amount of stuff they were expected to know, not to mention the extra diagrams.

I don't think you can take English B, Vietnamese A and french ab inito. It would have to be two of them haha. But what I do know for sure is that if you take Vietnamese A and English B and study other subjects in English, you'll get a bilingual diploma as opposed to a normal diploma.

Maybe what you could do is take:

Vietnamese A SL
English Literature HL
Economics HL
Biology HL
Maths SL
French ab initio (since you're allowed to take one of the subjects from groups 1 to 5 instead of picking a subject from group 6)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending