The Student Room Group

PGCE or Schools Direct (non salaried)

I'm applying for teacher training this November to start 2015 but am confused as to which route.

I wanted to do the PGCE secondary is social sciences but then was recommended to do the schools direct for the experience you get.

I looked at the specification for the pgce and IOE offer 24 weeks our of 36 in a school but there was no mention of how much time (weeks) you spend in a school on the schools direct specification...does anyone know?

But more specifically has or is anyone doing either of these courses and can offer advice on which route to take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
i guess it varies with each provider but for the schools direct that i looked at - you are in school every week with 1 day per week at the university

personally speaking, I feel I learn better by doing, so I chose schools direct as the emphasis is on practical teaching and not so much theory
(edited 9 years ago)
Okay fair enough :smile: i've gone straight from gcse to A levels straight to undergraduate so I am used to academics.

Do they put you on a full timetable and kind of expect you to become a full time teacher immediately or does it 'gently' introduce you to teaching? That is my main concern sort of :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
again, it will probably vary between different providers but the places I applied for suggest a ~50% timetable to start with

that doesn't mean you're alone in a room with 30 pupils from day 1 for 20 hours a week, there will be a teacher there in the room too and you start off observing/working with small groups/taking part of the lesson
Reply 4
I'm starting a university based PGCE at Reading this year and they run it so that both the university and schools direct courses are structured exactly the same (same amount of time in school etc). I think that the schools direct salaried course lasts a bit longer.

It does vary from provider to provider so if you like the look of somewhere then get in touch with their admissions department and ask for a general outline of the course structure or go to open events so you get a better idea of how they run each different route.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending