What to bring for self-catered? Watch

bullyfish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Does anyone know what we exactly have to bring in terms of cooking equipment for self-catered? It says "bring your own kitchen equpiment" but does this mean just knives, ladles, pots/pans etc. or do we need to bring toasters/kettles aswell?
Lauren Hart
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You need the essentials, pots, pans, plates etc. As for toaster and kettle, chances are someone else will have them, so you dont need to worry about it just yet. Also, you might find you dont need everything that you think you do. I bought scales and never used them.
davestones
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Or you could end up in our situation and think "oh someone else will bring a toater" (it was a flat of 6 people) and none of us did because we all thought the same thing...

I took...

-- frying pans
-- pans to boil stuff in
-- plates
-- knives, forks, spoons, fish slices etc
-- oven trays (essential if you live on frozen foods)
-- sharp knives
-- pillows
-- quilt
-- covers for pillows and quilt
-- towels

And then we went to tesco and got a value toaster and kettle for a tenner. They are still in use, three years down the line

I got fully kitted out at Ikea, pots pans bedding everything. I (read: the parents) spent less than £75
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oven trays and oven mitts very good shout!!
Brummie Yoshi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You will end up bringing things you will never use! The big ones that everyone assumed someone else would bring and didn't is a toaster and a kettle. Oh and bring oven gloves or you can't cook!
oliviasmith05
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ooh found this, dno if would be helpful to anyone...http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Wha..._To_University
Toot1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
that is an absolutely shocking list...i hadnt even begun to think of half of those things. i am completely unprepared! Looks like a trip to ikea is on the cards.
oliviasmith05
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol good thing i posted it then! im gonna probably print it off and tick stuff off as i start to pack!
bullyfish
Rep:
?
I've already written down a list of everything i need to buy, its pages long!
mizz_a
Report 12 years ago
thanx for that list oliviasmith05.loads of things that i would have forgotten...although now seems like im gonna need a removal lorry, lol
oliviasmith05
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol iv already started looking around my room and thinking 'naaah not gonna take that'. Ohhh I really wanna start packing!
davestones
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mizz_a)
thanx for that list oliviasmith05.loads of things that i would have forgotten...although now seems like im gonna need a removal lorry, lol
I fitted everything I ever needed at uni into 3 normal sized suitcases. Including my clothes. I came on the train

I am a boy though, so didnt have very many clothes...
triple_seven
Report 12 years ago
When i first went to uni i filled a toyota yaris with my stuff and just had the space to fit three people in as well. But i suppose if you're a light packer you won't need that much space.
Here's a few things that some people forgot: clothes hangers; a quilt, pillows and bedding - the kind of things some people assume to be in you're room already. Remember to bring toiletries, alcohol and some food because you'll probably be too drunk/hungover most of freshers week and may not have enough time to find the shops or even if you know where they are you may not have enough time with all the things you're supposed to sort out in you're first week.
I've found a george foreman grill extremely useful, toasters and kettles are useful as well but wait until you get there to see what everyone else has first before buying any of these items - you can do without them for a weekat least while you go out and buy any one of these things, but i suggest not sharing the cost between all flatmates because you're probably not going to moving in with all of them next year.
Hope this helped
Helen
x
oliviasmith05
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
thankuuu helen 4 the tips -makes mental note-
Lauren Hart
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hehe, ye, when looking for the shops first time round, the advice it to ask someone instead of just guessing, me and helen figured that one out ourselves didnt we helen!

Took us about 2 hours to find bloody iceland, which is about 5 mins max from where we were living. opps.

Oh, and turn up early for your registration and that, ive seen some horrific queues, whereas when my flat went, there wasnt anyone there really. tuesday morning, 10 am sharp!
bullyfish
Rep:
?
Hehee! 2 hours....

Wouldnt turning up late for registration be a good idea, as you could meet a load of people in the queues?
davestones
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, if you want to know where the local supermarkets are:

Aldi - Bristol Road, right next door to Jarratt Hall (literally)

Sainsbury's - Bristol Road, further up. Opposite PC World and B+Q, about 30 seconds walk from Selly Oak railway station

Tesco Express/Esso Fuel - Bristol Road, just after the university main gates

Tesco - Five Ways roundabout, take the exit before broad street. Or, get off the train at five ways and walk *up* the hill and underneath the roundabout.

Iceland - Grosvenor shopping centre, northfield (any of the 60-numbered buses that travel bristol road)

Wilkinson's - see iceland

The nearest ASDA is in Minworth, at the other side of spaghetti junction, I wouldn't bother trekking that far for food.

IKEA is located at junction 9 of the M6. This is an absolute nightmare to get to at the moment, as the entire stretch of the M6 between junction 5 and junction 10 is coned to 1/2 lanes with 40mph SPECS cameras. Nevertheless, to get to it, travel NORTH up the M6, when you come off at junction 9 take the first left at the roundabout and then IMMEDIATE LEFT, it is extremely poorly signposted. This will take you on a little bendy road that goes back underneath the motorway roundabout, and then you have to just follow the road until you come to an ikea-branded roundabout.

To get back from IKEA, you need to travel NORTH on the M6 to junction 10, go all the way round the roundabout at that junction, and come back SOUTH on the M6. Then, yo uwill have to leave at junction 7 and come along the A34 into the city centre, or travel down to junction 5 and come along the heartlands spine road and round the diversion.

Junction 6 is closed for access to birmingham central. Until december. Which is an absolute pain.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (206)
18.61%
No (673)
60.79%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.6%

Watched Threads