danielcb12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I am going to start studying AS Law as a privatecandidate with AQA and do the exams at my local college. Can anybody who hasdone the course give me any advice on the best text books to use? I currentlyhave Jacqueline Martins ‘The English Legal System’ 5th edition. Ihave looked at the resource list on the AQA website and it has quite a lot :/

Thanks
mollzhill123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Martins book is good but id also recommend getting the latest edition of Elliot and Quinn, Its a bit heavy but I found it useful.
laura0701
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by danielcb12)
Hi,

I am going to start studying AS Law as a privatecandidate with AQA and do the exams at my local college. Can anybody who hasdone the course give me any advice on the best text books to use? I currentlyhave Jacqueline Martins ‘The English Legal System’ 5th edition. Ihave looked at the resource list on the AQA website and it has quite a lot :/

Thanks
I'm dong AS Law as a private candidate too! Just finished A2 and want to study the AS in my gap year. Please let me know if you find any good books as I'm a bit lost for where to start at the moment!
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For As make sure you make use of sixth form law and elaw resources (websites) as they help with precedents, unit 1 is a bit of a drag but unit 2 you guys should be good at especially if you have done A2 as you can put some cases in for the non fatal offences etc
danielcb12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by auralay)
I'm dong AS Law as a private candidate too! Just finished A2 and want to study the AS in my gap year. Please let me know if you find any good books as I'm a bit lost for where to start at the moment!
Hey, it's nice to meet someone who is doing the same! Have you chosen your exam board yet? I am going with AQA as that is who my local college use and I am going to sit the exam their. So I have just read through the spec and the resource list and plan to just start reading and making notes.

What subjects did you do for A2?
WannabeJudge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by neal95)
For As make sure you make use of sixth form law and elaw resources (websites) as they help with precedents, unit 1 is a bit of a drag but unit 2 you guys should be good at especially if you have done A2 as you can put some cases in for the non fatal offences etc
This one says it all Ladies and Gents, I have just finished my AS Law course and will hear back on my results in August. ELaw resources came in handy as it tells you all you need to know, as well as extra knowledge.
Also, i'm not sure if any other colleges teach the same strategy, but try to stick to doing 8-point-plans for the first section Application questions on the Unit 2 paper. This will be questions 3 & 4. I can send them to anyone in an inbox if they want, they cover everything you need to answer in the question, you just have to make sure you write it all down within the time frame. The application questions in the second section wont need the same 8-point-plans, however they use a different one depending on which topic the question relates to.
Don't worry about Unit 1, it is a bit dull, but all you have to do is vomit information at them and you'll get the marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads