Poor people ruin nice towns.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
blue n white army
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Last year I got a job in a town a few towns over. This town has a reputation as being grotty and rough and before I started work there i got the usual "make sure you wear kevlar" and "good luck it was nice knowing you" etc etc. Similar comments were made before I was due to go on a work night out.

However having worked there for a year the town itself is actually quite nice. A unique layout, a lovely market place and round the corner a nice harbour. The architecture and the history of the town is fascinating. So why, i asked myself, does it not feel as nice as it should do, why does it have such a bad reputation. The only conclusion i could come up with is poor people, because there are a lot of working class families around there isn't a lot of money and therefore there are some empty and disused shops and a lot of poundland and iceland type shops. Then there's the Jeremy kyle class that line the street looking grotty and making the place look messy.

Who agrees that poor people ruin nice towns? and why can't we move them all to birmingham,.
ufo2012
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by blue n white army)
Who agrees that poor people ruin nice towns?
Completely.

Apart from the historical aspects, if the town has a 'bad' population (for want of a better word) it ruins the reputation overall and sometimes then the historical aspect becomes lost.
imtelling
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Was this a culturally 'enriched' area? Or white working class?
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Come to Wigan! You will be shocked.
Jaegon Targaryen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So its their fault they can't get jobs or decent education ?

Blame the poor :rolleyes:
alapa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh neg, how I miss you
fortunesfool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You could help the town/town's population if you're so concerned.
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not so much poor people per se, but I know what you mean, the whole image of a town can be spoilt by rows of pound shops/charity shops.
BigBadJFly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Last year I got a job in a town a few towns over. This town has a reputation as being grotty and rough and before I started work there i got the usual "make sure you wear kevlar" and "good luck it was nice knowing you" etc etc. Similar comments were made before I was due to go on a work night out.

However having worked there for a year the town itself is actually quite nice. A unique layout, a lovely market place and round the corner a nice harbour. The architecture and the history of the town is fascinating. So why, i asked myself, does it not feel as nice as it should do, why does it have such a bad reputation. The only conclusion i could come up with is poor people, because there are a lot of working class families around there isn't a lot of money and therefore there are some empty and disused shops and a lot of poundland and iceland type shops. Then there's the Jeremy kyle class that line the street looking grotty and making the place look messy.

Who agrees that poor people ruin nice towns? and why can't we move them all to birmingham,.
Quite, I feel that it would be absolutely grand if we could just chuck out all of the riff raff.
blue n white army
Rep:
?
(Original post by imtelling)
Was this a culturally 'enriched' area? Or white working class?
White working class

(Original post by fortunesfool)
You could help the town/town's population if you're so concerned.
I work for a charity which pumps roughly £2million a year into the local area
MidnightDream
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I see what you mean
username207685
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The more important issue is that people like you are ruining the country.
keturah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Lol.. a bit harsh. I wouldn't say it's necessary poor people that ruin nice towns, most poor people aren't like the ones that go on Jeremy kyle.
fortunesfool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
White working class

I work for a charity which pumps roughly £2million a year into the local area

If it's pumping in £2million a year into the local area, why are you still complaining?
Black Cat
Report 7 years ago
Maybe you should move away then.
blue n white army
Rep:
?
(Original post by teen1234)
Youre a piece of ****.
why?

(Original post by keturah)
Lol.. a bit harsh. I wouldn't say it's necessary poor people that ruin nice towns, most poor people aren't like the ones that go on Jeremy kyle.
I know but if there's poor families then the town will attract bargain stores as opposed to top quality stores.

(Original post by fortunesfool)
If it's pumping in £2million a year into the local area, why are you still complaining?
I'm not sure i follow.

That 2million is comprised of salaries, business rates, council tax, as well as the money, grants, activitiy groups etc that we give to the community. 2million is not enough to rid the town of poor people.
blue n white army
Rep:
?
(Original post by Black Cat)
Maybe you should move away then.
I live in a nice town 20miles away so i'm ok.

That said the town I live in doesn't have the same architecture, interesting history, unique layout etc that the other town does. However it is a much more pleasant place to be. The difference between the two towns - one is working class and poor, the other isn't
Stinkum
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What are you talking about? That's absolute nonsense. Poor people aren't necessarily bad, just because you're poor it doesn't mean you're bad. I'll tell you who the bad people that ruin towns really are:

- Chavs
- Criminals
- Drug dealers
- Loud people (including screaming babies and super loud obnoxious music)
- People who litter and throw their garbage on the streets
- Prostitutes

What does someone else's financial status have to do with you anyway? pfft
Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
It's not so much poor people per se, but I know what you mean, the whole image of a town can be spoilt by rows of pound shops/charity shops.
This
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are still poor towns in Britain?

Thought most towns have long since died especially those that are less wealthy and doesn't look as if it is something described in a Jane Austen novel.

Poor people don't make nasty towns, poor towns make people nasty
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.72%
Uncertainty around my education (83)
11.58%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (76)
10.6%
Lack of purpose or motivation (92)
12.83%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.3%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.72%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (77)
10.74%
Financial worries (46)
6.42%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (43)
6%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (69)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (56)
7.81%

Watched Threads