The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Poor people ruin nice towns.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
So its their fault they can't get jobs or decent education ?

Blame the poor :rolleyes:

Well who else's fault is it? Everyone in this country has education and healthcare. What excuse is there for being poor other than indolence?
Reply 41
Original post by tengentoppa
Well who else's fault is it? Everyone in this country has education and healthcare. What excuse is there for being poor other than indolence?

The fact that capital accumulation outstrips economic growth means those with wealthier parents will have easier access to capital due to existing wealth.
The increasing need for unpaid internships to get into the media and politics, people from working class backgrounds won't be able to afford that.
Social class influences chance of success in life and education.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/social-class-determines-childs-success-934240.html

If people become richer/prosperous as a result of education. Why is it that education has increased in effectiveness and ease of access worldwide but inequality has deepened?
Unless people supplied with education are idiots it's almost as if capitalism and unequal wealth compounds social mobility...
Where do you expect them to go, then?
Original post by Stinkum
What are you talking about? That's absolute nonsense. Poor people aren't necessarily bad, just because you're poor it doesn't mean you're bad. I'll tell you who the bad people that ruin towns really are:

- Chavs
- Criminals
- Drug dealers
- Loud people (including screaming babies and super loud obnoxious music)
- People who litter and throw their garbage on the streets
- Prostitutes

What does someone else's financial status have to do with you anyway? pfft

Sharia law will solve this problem.
Original post by DErasmus
No they aren't, he has raised a genuine concern that poor uncultured people destroy communities with their behaviour. This is a failure with the educational system, and them not taking responsibility.

The existence of shops that poor people can afford to enter, and poor people looking "grotty" are not genuine concerns. They are the passive aggressive obsessions of small-minded gremlins.
Reply 45
breadcrumbs attracting pigeons instead of cake-crumbs? Oh dahlings how downmarket!

Have a heart people! Poverty can hit anybody, its not what people choose ....If you find real world unlivable go shop at Harrods or suchlike
Original post by betaglucowhat
The existence of shops that poor people can afford to enter, and poor people looking "grotty" are not genuine concerns. They are the passive aggressive obsessions of small-minded gremlins.

I don't think they're passive aggressive obsessions. When you go to a city and you're surrounded by smartly dressed people you feel a sense of optimism. You feel the exact opposite when you're around poorly dressed people. Go to culturally rich cities like Amsterdam and Stockholm, the people are dressed smart and take a great pride in their appearance. I don't see we shouldn't want to emulate this sort of standard of living.

Who the hell likes walking down your village high street and seeing rows of pound shops, chicken/kebab takeaways, pawn and betting shops? They've destroyed the aesthetics of almost every city in the country as well as stolen money from the poor.
Original post by StarvingAutist
I was appealing to OP's reasoning.

And I assure you, my mum is perfectly respectable :tongue:

Also, my physics teacher is a Brummie and he has a PhD. :lol:

I wasn't doubting the respectability of your mother :smile:
Reply 48
Since this website is infected by middle class white kids I guess it's easy to just blame the poor.

How about challenging the issues that make these kids poor, underprivileged which subsequently leads to antisocial criminal behaviours. Not just giving them money or letting them rot.

Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish he'll eat for a lifetime.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
Since this website is infected by middle class white kids I guess it's easy to just blame the poor.

How about challenging the issues that make these kids poor, underprivileged which subsequently leads to antisocial criminal behaviours. Not just giving them money or letting them rot.

Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish he'll eat for a lifetime.

This is when the rich kids will step in and start calling you a nasty man for assuming that the poor can't do these themselves and say you're patronising to them. Honestly, this is why society gets nowhere.
Reply 50
Original post by blue n white army
Last year I got a job in a town a few towns over. This town has a reputation as being grotty and rough and before I started work there i got the usual "make sure you wear kevlar" and "good luck it was nice knowing you" etc etc. Similar comments were made before I was due to go on a work night out.

However having worked there for a year the town itself is actually quite nice. A unique layout, a lovely market place and round the corner a nice harbour. The architecture and the history of the town is fascinating. So why, i asked myself, does it not feel as nice as it should do, why does it have such a bad reputation. The only conclusion i could come up with is poor people, because there are a lot of working class families around there isn't a lot of money and therefore there are some empty and disused shops and a lot of poundland and iceland type shops. Then there's the Jeremy kyle class that line the street looking grotty and making the place look messy.

Who agrees that poor people ruin nice towns? and why can't we move them all to birmingham,.

Because Birmingham is a nice place and the medical school is amazing. :wink:
Original post by Ozzin
Yes it is. Education is handed to people in Britain on a plate (I specify Britain so that you don't try talking about anywhere else).

Education that is capable of taking people to University to get degrees. Even if that is not the path they take, it is there, completely free. Yes I know that 'better' education comes from private schooling and paid private tutoring but any child or even adult in this country can get a good education just by putting some effort in.

A fair amount of (not all of) the poor gave up on school and education and so life has led them to remain or become poor. You can hear about quite a lot of stories (I can't think of any off the top of my head at the moment) about people from disadvantaged backgrounds who tried hard and succeeded (Alan Sugar, is an example. He may have left at 16 but still achieved an education which helped him in his career) just because they put the effort in.

Getting jobs is hard for everyone at the moment so I completely agree with you that that isn't their fault, however the education part is.

O/T: I agree that pound shops/cheap shops ruin the aesthetic of a nice town. I personally think my town is quite ugly, it's the oldest settlement in Britain but it just plastered with the remnants of 60's architecture in the town centre and most of the shops are fairly aesthetically pleasing, if only the actual buildings they inhabited looked nicer. There are quite a few council house neighbourhoods as well which are full of 30's houses and they just look horrible.

I understand compared to most countries in the world Briain has a outstanding education system , but in Britain itself there are stark differences between the types of school and where these people end up in later life. ( Top earning jobs are ridiculously dominated by pupils from private schools - 3/4 judges etc ) ,

If you go to a comp in a bad catchment area your likely going to leave school with 5+GCSE's whereas your private schooled counterparts are leaving with 11A*s , from the very beginning the odds are piled against you and notably irrespective of your ability .

The culture in these comprehensive schools also generally teach students they will amount to little in life and eduation is a waste of time , leading to claiming benefits in later life.

Its almost inevitable if you come from a **** area your oppurtunites to succeed in life are dramatically reduced . Some do break through but its ridiculously low.
Original post by jam278

It's a complete **** soup.

Original post by StarvingAutist
OP you're a bit of a ****.
Plus, why the prejudice against Birmingham? My mum's from Brum and she has a Master's from Cambridge :tongue:

If you say something enough people will believe it. No surprise when the message drip, drip, drips through.
Original post by slg60
Because Birmingham is a nice place and the medical school is amazing. :wink:

:confused:

Negative posts only please.
Reply 54
Original post by Wilfred Little
It's a complete **** soup.

Nice sig. :cool:

This site is a joke man. The views of these people are ancient.
I hate poor people,I live in a very rich area,and everyone is rich,but there are lots of chavs/poor people that come in out town to get drunk and pollute our land...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
I understand compared to most countries in the world Briain has a outstanding education system , but in Britain itself there are stark differences between the types of school and where these people end up in later life. ( Top earning jobs are ridiculously dominated by pupils from private schools - 3/4 judges etc ) ,

If you go to a comp in a bad catchment area your likely going to leave school with 5+GCSE's whereas your private schooled counterparts are leaving with 11A*s , from the very beginning the odds are piled against you and notably irrespective of your ability .

The culture in these comprehensive schools also generally teach students they will amount to little in life and eduation is a waste of time , leading to claiming benefits in later life.

Its almost inevitable if you come from a **** area your oppurtunites to succeed in life are dramatically reduced . Some do break through but its ridiculously low.

Is it? Because I went to a comprehensive and that was definitely not the ethos there. No it wasn't the best school around but they tried to get people in to school and get them educated however it was their stupid choice not to.
Original post by Ozzin
Is it? Because I went to a comprehensive and that was definitely not the ethos there. No it wasn't the best school around but they tried to get people in to school and get them educated however it was their stupid choice not to.

It depends on the area I suppose , if you go to the worst of areas no matter how hard teachers try the kids barely pass with mediocre grades and have no direction , on the other hand you have private school kids who want to be in medicine from 12 years old.
[video="youtube;owI7DOeO_yg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg&feature=kp[/video]
You're all a bunch of plebs in a bucket

Latest

Trending

Trending