MayaFly7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there!

I'm going to Keele University this September to do English Literature (fingers crossed that I get the grades!) and I was just wondering how expensive it is to live there? I hear that the Student Union and other bars on site provide good nightlife but are the entrance fee and drinks reasonable? What about food at the shops on campus and venturing out of the "Keele Bubble" to Hanley and Newcastle? How good are the transport links?

Sorry for reeling of so many questions but I'd be really grateful if anyone could answer them
pillowshot
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MayaFly7)
Hi there!

I'm going to Keele University this September to do English Literature (fingers crossed that I get the grades!) and I was just wondering how expensive it is to live there? I hear that the Student Union and other bars on site provide good nightlife but are the entrance fee and drinks reasonable? What about food at the shops on campus and venturing out of the "Keele Bubble" to Hanley and Newcastle? How good are the transport links?

Sorry for reeling of so many questions but I'd be really grateful if anyone could answer them

I've been around these parts for 4 years now. Generally speaking it is quite a cheap place to live but it ultimately depends on where you're moving in from. I came from Birmingham so food prices were actually slightly higher at Keele/Newcastle/Stoke. However things like rent (for when you move off campus) and buses are notably cheaper.

The bus service is apparently changing routes for next year but they are fairly regular (supposedly 10 minutes but you know how buses are)

Stoke train station is pretty well connected and there are regular trains to Manchester/London/Birmingham if you fancy day trips.

There is a pretty expansive bus network around the area. It is primarily serviced by First PLC. But there are a few other operators.

The nightlife at the union is pretty good and very reasonable (most of the time!) But Newcastle and Hanley don't have THAT much going on (compared to the bigger cities anyway)

All in all its a very nice place to be.
GeorgieGee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't come too far from Keele, but one of the first things I noticed was how cheap things were in the area!

The SU is definitely the cheapest place to go out, and much more convenient. Newcastle is good on a Friday night, it's more bars then clubs, and prices are higher then the SU but still cheaper then other parts of the country. Hanley is good for a big night out on a Saturday, or a Monday (student night, but the SU does £1 a drink on Mondays!). It's still pretty cheap for entry and to drink, the biggest expense is definitely the taxi coming back after midnight! Entrance fees at the union are pretty good for what you get, but you'll hear plenty of people moan - after first year I became one of these people! Alcohol is pretty cheap I found, as long as you avoid fruit juice mixers and Friday nights always seemed kinda pricey (no drinks offers).

It's no Manchester/Birmingham/London, but on a budget it will do for nightlife.

Food on campus is overpriced and not worth it unless you really cannot leave campus to do a food shop - milk and bread on campus is average price so you shouldn't need to do a food shop more then once a week, if that. At one point I was able to do a food shop every two weeks in first year.

In Newcastle you have Morrisons in the centre, Sainsburys a little further out, Tesco is a fair way out, and in my 3 years I never visited Asda. Aldi is opposite Tesco (in an area called Trent Vale) and Lidl is pretty close to Morrisons in Newcastle. Oh, and there's an Iceland in Newcastle town centre. You shouldn't be stuck at all for food shopping - just get the bus (or a taxi is there's more then 2 of you, it's cheaper) into Newcastle and you can walk to everything you'll need from there.

Newcastle is pretty rubbish for clothes shopping, so you'll want to head to Hanley. It's about 40 mins on the longest bus route from campus and has everything you'd find on your regular highstreet - Primark, New Look, Topshop, River Island etc. It has a large shopping centre called the Potteries, and is about a 5 minute walk from the bus station through the town centre. There's a massive Tesco Extra right in the middle of Hanley too.

Transport links in the area are pretty good, the 25 bus (and the quicker versions of it) run through campus and take you to Newcastle, Stoke, Stoke train station and Hanley. Newcastle and Hanley both have bus stations if you want to go elsewhere - Alton Towers, Trentham Gardens, the Roaches etc. Like poster above said, the bus routes are being changed at the moment to be better, so there will be links to the hospital in Newcastle and (fingers crossed) a quicker route to Hanley. Bus fare is cheaper then at home for me £1.85 *I think*, but these prices will probably change, it was £1.60 when I started uni 3 years ago.

It takes about 30 mins on the bus from campus to Stoke train station which is handy for trains to Manchester, Birmingham and London. There's also a bus that runs through campus in the other direction that takes you to Crewe train station. I've never done that journey, but Crewe is pretty good for connections all round the UK.

Rent on campus is pretty good in comparison to the rest of the UK's universities, but compared to the local area seems very steep! For first year though, it's definitely worth it, the atmosphere was amazing and I made friends for life.

Second year (and third year?) you'll be living off campus - rent is super cheap, you can get some amazing deals for rent with bills included, or without. Living in Newcastle is definitely more convenient as you'll save on transport if you are going to the supermarket - you can just go as and when you need to as everything's in walking distance. There's also massive amounts of student houses being rented so you won't be stuck for anywhere to live - it certainly didn't seem as competitive trying to get a house as my sister in Leicester!

I hope this essay(!) hasn't seemed too negative! I love Keele and I'm so sad to be graduating - it's a fantastic place to be a student, because everything really is student centered, and you'll find that in the local towns as well. Cheap food + drink + rent = happy student

Hope you have an amazing time!
MayaFly7
Rep:
?
Thank you to both of you for replying! Really helpful info and I can't wait to start at Keele! Do you know when home students will be notified about which accommodation they have been allocated and also when the deposit needs to be paid?
GeorgieGee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MayaFly7)
Thank you to both of you for replying! Really helpful info and I can't wait to start at Keele! Do you know when home students will be notified about which accommodation they have been allocated and also when the deposit needs to be paid?
If you are a conditional student it's usually sometime after the exam results, at the start of September if I remember correctly

The deposit I'm not so sure on, you could also email the finance department and ask - it's really easy to pay online at the same time as you accept your accommodation offer!
MayaFly7
Rep:
?
(Original post by GeorgieGee)
If you are a conditional student it's usually sometime after the exam results, at the start of September if I remember correctly

The deposit I'm not so sure on, you could also email the finance department and ask - it's really easy to pay online at the same time as you accept your accommodation offer!

Thanks! What did you study at Keele and what do you hope to do once you graduate (if you haven't already)? And congrats!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads