The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Checking their watches? Ooh, so suspicious, what if they weren't checking when they needed to board the plane, or how long they were delayed?

I find nothing suspicious of them speaking Arabic to each other. Whenever I visit France, I'll talk French to the people I see, and English to the people I'm with, simply because they're more comfortable with that.
Reply 21
gas_panic!
Or, the chucking off of the plane in malaga of 2 people who look like the 8 people been charged with conspiracy to murder and preparing acts of terrorism?

Yes, that bit. Oh, and every other aspect of the 'major terrorist threat' *******s.
Reply 22
Dez
Checking their watches? Ooh, so suspicious, what if they weren't checking when they needed to board the plane, or how long they were delayed?

I find nothing suspicious of them speaking Arabic to each other. Whenever I visit France, I'll talk French to the people I see, and English to the people I'm with, simply because they're more comfortable with that.

Look, i wasn't sat at the front of the plane but i spoke to many people who were and the guys were acting exceptionally suspicious.

It was 3 in the morning, a deserted airport, security is lax as it is. We were allowed electricals and liquids in our hand luggage. It's the day the terrorists attacks were meant to occur. 2 arabs talk in arabic to themselves and english to everyone else, check their watched continuously on a plane, have 2 passports, 1 brand new british passports. Flew out to malaga that morning with no luggage. Then the story about the laptop comes out....I'm not surprised they would cause suspicion.

I PERSONALLY wouldn't have noticed, i dont think it would have been weird them speaking in arabic but the thick jumpers did add to the suspicion.

Ultimately it was the pilot who didn't trust them and wouldn't let them fly, not the passengers!

The family who sold their story seemed about as dodgy as these arabs though! The guy was a proper fantasist, telling us all these stories about the spanish police n this, that n the other....

OBVIOUSLY in hindsight, it sounds very petty but at the time no1 had had any sleep, it was 3 in the morning!
danielf90
Look, i wasn't sat at the front of the plane but i spoke to many people who were and the guys were acting exceptionally suspicious.

It was 3 in the morning, a deserted airport, security is lax as it is. We were allowed electricals and liquids in our hand luggage. It's the day the terrorists attacks were meant to occur. 2 arabs talk in arabic to themselves and english to everyone else, check their watched continuously on a plane, have 2 passports, 1 brand new british passports. Flew out to malaga that morning with no luggage. Then the story about the laptop comes out....I'm not surprised they would cause suspicion.

I PERSONALLY wouldn't have noticed, i dont think it would have been weird them speaking in arabic but the thick jumpers did add to the suspicion.

Ultimately it was the pilot who didn't trust them and wouldn't let them fly, not the passengers!

The family who sold their story seemed about as dodgy as these arabs though! The guy was a proper fantasist, telling us all these stories about the spanish police n this, that n the other....

OBVIOUSLY in hindsight, it sounds very petty but at the time no1 had had any sleep, it was 3 in the morning!

I completely understand but the only feesable suspicion seems to be with them wearing jumpers? Not the norm it may be but how could they get past security and metal detectors with a bomb or anything attached to them ?
Reply 24
10inchpianist
I completely understand but the only feesable suspicion seems to be with them wearing jumpers? Not the norm it may be but how could they get past security and metal detectors with a bomb or anything attached to them ?

Yeah but don't forget,a ll we'd been hearing over the past few days were NO electrical and NO liquids and that day, they let us fly with both in our hand luggage!

I could see why people would be jittery....

N it wasn't every muslim on the flight that were suspected, there WERE others who weren't harrassed or bothered at all!
Reply 25
Fusion
I reckon they deliberately tried to scare other passengers by acting very odd (especially since at that time everyone was worried over security). Looks like they were too successful though and were chucked off the flight.

Let's be honest, if you're a Muslim and you're trying to fly out of the UK with a ton of white people - you're going to look nervous, because of the suspicion people will have of you.
Reply 26
Imo, I actually don't think the guys in question were Middle-Eastern, they were probably North African, probably two Moroccan businessmen on their way home to Malaga (home to a large Moroccan community.) hence no luggage, a laptop and them speaking in Arabic.

If anyone has ever lived in a hot place for a long time, you become so used to the weather that you will wear coats when others wear shorts and t-shirts. Its natural. To them the tempertaure was probably cool...

Its just a shame that the people on that flight had about as much rational sense as a peanut.
Reply 27
^^ Also at three in the morning it couldn't have been exactly boilingly hot, could it?
Reply 28
kizer
^^ Also at three in the morning it couldn't have been exactly boilingly hot, could it?

Haha, good point, didn't think of that. Basically, I think we've established the little 'mutiny' was a ****ing pathetic, reactionary, racist little affair by bigoted morons with no real grounds for substantiation. What's worse is the pilot and crew took the two men off the plane on the insistence of these cretins. I hope more than a few spades get taken to those idiots giving interviews about how 'dodgy' them darkies were looking. *****.
Reply 29
its the daily mail:wtf?:
Reply 30
vin
its the daily mail:wtf?:

Aye, 'nuff said really.
creak
Haha, good point, didn't think of that. Basically, I think we've established the little 'mutiny' was a ****ing pathetic, reactionary, racist little affair by bigoted morons with no real grounds for substantiation. What's worse is the pilot and crew took the two men off the plane on the insistence of these cretins. I hope more than a few spades get taken to those idiots giving interviews about how 'dodgy' them darkies were looking. *****.

No-one has established anything of the sort, you raving leftie fool.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/5276504.stm -
"It was then, he said, that his wife Susanne began talking to another passenger who said she had sat next to the two men.
"She said she had heard them saying it was the last 30 minutes of their lives," said Mr Wearden.
"It may well be that the two simply thought they were being funny, but it perhaps better explains the passenger reaction."

The passengers did not pick on thesse men just because of how they looked - thousands of people who look like them are flying around as we speak, completely unhindered. They were suspicious because of numerous other factors - many of which are still coming to light - comments the men made, clothing, behaviour, an empty laptop case, apparent passport issues etc. Yes, much of it may be explainable now but it sure as hell must have looked suspicious at the time.

Stop trying to label people as "bigoted morons" for a completely understandable reaction - do you honestly think that these people wanted to stop the men travelling just because they're "racists" who didn't want any arabs on the plane? Or do you think that maybe they had grounds for suspicion and were legitimately worried?
It makes no sense at all to claim 'racism' as you do - if people just reacted in such a way to the mere sight of an Arab none of them would ever fly, clearly they manage to. Get a grip you raving leftie and stop trying to slander and generalise regarding the plane passengers in exactly the same manner that you are falsely claiming they did about the two men.
gaijin
Imo, I actually don't think the guys in question were Middle-Eastern, they were probably North African, probably two Moroccan businessmen on their way home to Malaga (home to a large Moroccan community.) hence no luggage, a laptop and them speaking in Arabic.

Actually they were two students studying in Manchester on an apparent "day trip to Spain" (isn't that kinda far to go for the day?) - hence the lack of luggage.

gaijin
If anyone has ever lived in a hot place for a long time, you become so used to the weather that you will wear coats when others wear shorts and t-shirts. Its natural. To them the tempertaure was probably cool...

They live in Manchester. Not a place known for being a "hot place".

gaijin
Its just a shame that the people on that flight had about as much rational sense as a peanut.

It's so irrational to be suspicious of two Muslim men, acting suspiciously, with no luggage and oddly bulky clothing in the current environment?
JonathanH

It's so irrational to be suspicious of two Muslim men, acting suspiciously, with no luggage and oddly bulky clothing in the current environment?

I still don't see why them wearing jumpers would arouse suspicion? They went through airport security, through metal detectors etc etc
Because, put simply, it's not normal. If you've indoors in Spain or other Med countries at night at the height of summer you'll know that it doesn't get too cool at night, especially in a crowded and restricted environment such as an airport.
JonathanH
Because, put simply, it's not normal.

Surely besides these two, not everyone on the plane was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops ?

If you've indoors in Spain or other Med countries at night at the height of summer you'll know that it doesn't get too cool at night, especially in a crowded and restricted environment such as an airport.

The airports are airconditioned. Spain isn't a third world country.
Reply 36
JonathanH
Actually they were two students studying in Manchester on an apparent "day trip to Spain" (isn't that kinda far to go for the day?) - hence the lack of luggage.

They live in Manchester. Not a place known for being a "hot place".

How the hell did you know all this just before the flight was to take off?
Dez
How the hell did you know all this just before the flight was to take off?

This is information that has come to light since the flight.
10inchpianist
Surely besides these two, not everyone on the plane was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops ?

Who knows - but clearly these two were dressed in a manner which was not in-line with what was normal or expected. That is why the numerous interviews with passengers have almost all made a note of the odd nature of the clothing.

10inchpianist
The airports are airconditioned. Spain isn't a third world country.

Air conditioning doesn't normally make people wear bulky clothing and jackets inside in the middle of a Spanish summer.
Reply 39
kizer

well actually.... in malaga at 3 in the morning, its 25 degrees! id say thats quite hot!

Latest

Trending

Trending