mam2girls
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone
I'm due to start uni in sept to do child nursing. I'm soo excited but I'm curious to know What the job prospects are once qualified? Is there many job opportunities? I'm based in the north east. I will be leaving a full time job to start uni and i have a family so just wondering what happens after all the studying? .
Cheers x
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I dont want to sound horrible but have you researched child nursing?
If you have then surely you'd know about the job prospects? As surely being a mam you would ensure you can get a job after 3 years of uni?

There are many many job prospects within nursing, and you can go into the community, hospitals, schools etc.
And you can go anywhere if you can uproot your children, you dont have to stay in the north east.
However i do suggest you research a little and have a long hard think about what type of nurse you want to be etc as you will have to work shifts around your family. Most people have a vague idea of what type of nurse they want to be and future goals, thus knowing what job prospects are available. So have a think, as you may not know fully until you start doing placements etc, and then keep looking into this and how you can achieve it instead of waiting until you qualify.
mam2girls
Rep:
?
Sorry I don't think I explained it very well. I know what kind of jobs are out there but obviously there are a lot of nursing students and only so many jobs available. I've researched a lot and contacted unis to see if they have this info but they don't. I've also Google, talked to the pct, talked to hospitals to see if they can tell me but no body seems to have this info. Ive also looked on job sites and the nhs job site to see whats being advertised. All I want to know is once qualified how many nurses actually end up in employment as a nurse straight after uni.I do not want to uproot my family in order to find work as this would have a knock on effect for childcare, husbands job etc. There are 2 universities in my area with about 30 child nurse students each and if everyone stays on the course that's 60 people looking for a job by the end of 3 years if they all stay in this area. I talked to one of the nurses at our local hospital who said she was unemployed for 2 years after qualifying before finding a nursing job.
Obviously it's in 3 years time and the job market can vary but I just want a rough idea
Or if anyone knows where to find this info that would b v helpful
lilibet01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
universities have the %s of students finding jobs straight after qualifying, look on their websites. Not all 60 students in your area will finish the course and not all will want to stay in that area. The reason why there are fewer child nursing places in the first place reflects the number of jobs available each year, hence 30 child places, 200 adult, or whatever. The NHS doesn't want to fund places if there aren't going to be enough jobs at the end of it. There is a shortage of paediatric nurses and there are always jobs for good nurses.

just re-read your message saying you've asked the uni's about how many people get jobs and I'm surprised they say they don't know. They should. The Guardian League table has the info, but that is spread across all branches per uni. ie for Kingston it gives an overall 84%, but for child branch it's 96% and that's because some people took a year out
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With nursing universities and the NHS tend to look at workforce planning and allocate their places for students based on that forecast. It's not an accurate way of doing things, but because the NHS is paying for the course they want a return on their investment so it makes sense that they only pay for enough places to ensure most students find employment at the end. There's no guarantee of a job, you have to apply and be interviewed as with any job and some areas have more jobs than others but it's not all doom and gloom. It may be more difficult for you as I'm guessing by your username that you have kids so you might not be able to relocate for a job. However, you say you're in the NE, if you're near Newcastle I think they have a large children's hospital there which will probably mean there's more chances at finding work as a kid's nurse than being near a little DGH with a general paeds ward
angel_delight
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's difficult to guess how many jobs will be available when you finish. When I finished I was lucky to have a pick of a few jobs and so were the rest of my cohort however the cohort before had to relocate or wait. Newcastle tend to do mass recruitment I've noticed and it's a large children's hospital. I wouldn't let it put you off as things might have totally changed by the time you finish.
mam2girls
Rep:
?
Thanks xx
EstherKat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
I’m a last year student children’s nurse student. I will graduate in Aberdeen in September and planning to move to Newcastle. I contacted GNCH about application and apparently the are nit recruiting until August. Is it very competitive to get a paeds job around here? When do newly qualified nurses apply for jobs here, I mean up North pretty much everyone got a job secured, I’m slightly worried that I’m too late. I’ve been using nhs jobs as a search engine, any other suggestions where to find vacancies?
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (277)
15.41%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.64%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (178)
9.91%
Isolating with family (127)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (80)
4.45%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (150)
8.35%
Loneliness (178)
9.91%
Financial worries (74)
4.12%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (165)
9.18%
Exposure to negative news/social media (128)
7.12%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.85%

Watched Threads