The Student Room Group

A Level Further Maths Modules

(edited 7 years ago)
Depending on what you think is best for you, because you've done all the applied modules which do you find easiest? Also what do you want to do beyond A Levels? Such as engineering? Accountancy? Maths? Try and keep it related to what you want to do, which may not seem like a lot of help now and you just want to do the easier modules, however in the long term it will help. Also I heard FP2 and FP3 were killers, especially if you do them together in one year, and if you don't like pressure I wouldn't do them together, I'd pick D2, or S2, I've done S2 (well the exam is tomorrow) but the general topics are quite easy to pick up on, apart from hypothesis testing which takes a while to get your head around. Hope my waffling helps!
Reply 2
I would say the other FP unit primarily - it will give you a solid background if you're thinking of any sort of mathematical or scientific degree.

M3 can be tough but is interesting.

S3 is generally considered to be relatively straightforward, but doesn't too much for you beyond S2 in my opinion.

D2 will destroy your brain and is best avoided :smile:
Original post by Alex:

The last module can now be S3, M3 or FP3. I think a bit more insight about myself is required - I'm planning to do mathematics at university (hopefully MMath). I'm fine with stats and mechanics, and I like them equally.

FP3
Reply 4
FP3 definitely.

Even if you get to Uni and prefer applied topics, you'll find you want as much Pure Maths as possible behind you to support your course - uni modules like mechanics and stats/probability go into a lot of detail and rely on sound techniques in things like trig, calculus, differential equations etc. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest