Watch
Michellewrench
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,
I am really unsure on what to do!
I am starting university this September and I don't know where to live. I have an accepted place at university which is 25 minutes away from me in the car. I can drive and have my own car so transport isn't an issue. Also, train is an option as it takes like 15 mins and the station isn't too far both ends. I want to live in halls to meet new friends, independence but I'm not a huge drinker/ party person. I am really settled at home recently decorated my room and I'm really close with my family. My sister and brother in law live in Worcester so I will be able to see them and they will be able to give me lifts back home as I would not take my car to uni.

I have a decent job where I live now and I work weekends (Fri night, sat 9-3, sun). I want to keep this job as I enjoy it, love the people and i will be needing the money. I was thinking of coming back on the Friday to go to work then stopping over at my home now as there isn't much point travelling back to Worcester as I finish late on Friday nights and I am back in at 9. Then I can spend some Saturday afternoons after work with my family. Then on Sundays after work I can pop in and see my family for abit then my sister will take me back to halls.

I like the idea of this but I don't know if it's a good idea. It's seems silly paying money to live a halls when I would be spending 1 maybe 2 nights a week at home. It's just I'm a really homely person and I would really miss my family (have quite a big family). But then I will be spending Sunday night- Friday afternoon at uni. Has anyone ever spent time at home whilst at uni?
i-love-coffee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Michellewrench)
Hi,
I am starting university this September and I don't know where to live. I have an accepted place at university which is 25 minutes away from me in the car. I can drive and have my own car so transport isn't an issue. Also, train is an option as it takes like 15 mins and the station isn't too far both ends. I want to live in halls to meet new friends, independence but I'm not a huge drinker/ party person. I am really settled at home recently decorated my room and I'm really close with my family. My sister and brother in law live in Worcester so I will be able to see them and they will be able to give me lifts back home as I would not take my car to uni.

I have a decent job where I live now and I work weekends (Fri night, sat 9-3, sun). I want to keep this job as I enjoy it, love the people and i will be needing the money. I was thinking of coming back on the Friday to go to work then stopping over at my home now as there isn't much point travelling back to Worcester as I finish late on Friday nights and I am back in at 9. Then I can spend some Saturday afternoons after work with my family. Then on Sundays after work I can pop in and see my family for abit then my sister will take me back to halls.

I like the idea of this but I don't know if it's a good idea. It's seems silly paying money to live a halls when I would be spending 1 maybe 2 nights a week at home. It's just I'm a really homely person and I would really miss my family (have quite a big family). But then I will be spending Sunday night- Friday afternoon at uni. Has anyone ever spent time at home whilst at uni?
I would say you seem quite a homely person and it doesn't make sense to uproot your life when you could have a quite nice situation whilst staying at home.

I personally lived in uni halls, but some of my closest friends as uni from my course actually lived at home in first year but then moved out for second year. I think they had the best of both worlds because they came to all the social events at uni, but then didn't have to live in a ****ty tiny room and share a bathroom with 7 messy people. There's no denying, yes, you won't have all the social opportunities that living in halls brings, but it's really not something to envy. A lot of people get on each others nerves after freshers.

I am also not a big party goer/drinker and I actually hated halls so much. People think it's where you'll find all your friends, but in reality your true friends are mostly made on your course as you have similar interests. I would stay at home if I liked it as much as it sounds like you do, but that's just me :-)
GoingToBurst
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I live at home whilst at uni and although my friends who stayed in halls enjoyed their experience, they all commented on how jealous they were that I could stay at home and not have to be in halls. I was a little concerned about not making friends as easily because I wasn't around people 24/7, but I actually found it very easy to make friends and most importantly, keep friends. People generally don't like to be around other people 24/7 especially at stressful times like exams/coursework deadlines or when they are the most drunk they have ever been and keeping you awake before a deadline or something, so I found that I was the only one in my friend group that didn't have any issues with anyone because most issues stemmed from hall problems.

Also, think of the money you'll save. Yes, you'll be paying for petrol, but the petrol costs will be much cheaper than the hall costs. Personally, the money saving was a big thing for me. I'm moving out with my boyfriend soon so it didn't make any sense to me to move into halls and waste all that money when I could stay at home and save it for our place.

I will say though, that working Friday, Saturday and Sunday every week will get tedious when you're also at uni all week and you want to see your friends.
New- Emperor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Michellewrench)
Hi,

I used to spend weekends at home it was fine I am really close to my family as well it was nice to touch base but it was also nice to get back to uni as well the advantage of you living so close to uni is that if you go an decide that you don't like halls you can withdraw from halls but continue with your course. If I were you I would go give halls a chance
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did this although I had Friday off so I worked 9-5 not all over the weekend .

Home for me is reading and I worked in Newbury so spending the weekend at home made sense.

Do bear in mind that sports clubs often meet at the weekend for training sessions or competition.

I would advise everyone against living at home during uni your quite near home so homesickness will be negligible compared to some people. Home students often have a slightly lonely first few weeks or month as conversations often start so where do you live ?

Feel free to Pm me any questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Beckamia11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, I'm in a similar situation, undecided whether or not to stay in halls or live at home because I'm really close to my family and see all of them at least once a week. My sister lived in halls, and she got really homesick, and i would hate for that to happen to me. I think I'm going to stay at home mostly due to the fact of saving money and being able to work on weekends and see family and stuff. Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.53%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (545)
48.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise