The Student Room Group

IGCSE and GCSE requirements to study Law at Durham, Bristol and Queen's Belfast

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, but upon looking at the entry requirements for Durham's Law course, I found that the only GCSE requirement was for English, in which it stated

"English Language requirements
IELTS of 7.0; or achieving a TOEFL (Internet Based Test) score of at least 100, plus a Writing Score of at least 25. Please note we do not accept applications with the TOEFL Paper Based Test; or achieving a grade of A or B in GCSE"

Firstly, if I took IGCSE English, not GCSE English, and I got a B, would Durham still not accept my application? Secondly, does that statement on the Durham website mean that even for an applicant with a 7.0 for the IELTS, Durham will not accept the applicant if they have a B for GCSE?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
I interpret the statement to mean that TOEFL paper / GCSE a or b grade English is not suffixient to fulfil the English language requirements, i.e. an applicant would still need to meet the ielts or internet based TOEFL standards.

The only way you will get a reliable answer though is to email Durham about this - it is their interpretation of that sentence that matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by arguendo
I interpret the statement to mean that TOEFL paper / GCSE a or b grade English is not suffixient to fulfil the English language requirements, i.e. an applicant would still need to meet the ielts or internet based TOEFL standards.

The only way you will get a reliable answer though is to email Durham about this - it is their interpretation of that sentence that matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I ended up seeing my school's university counsellor about this and she said that it was basically stating GCSEs aren't enough anymore because starting this year either an IELTS or TOEFL is required for the student visa, but that Durham specifically wants a minimum of 7 in the IELTS...

Thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending