The Student Room Group

Should I go to university or not?

I'm currently coming up to my third year in my current university course (Business Management). The problem is that 1. I've been studying from home the entire duration of the course and 2. I've been depressed for the entire duration of the course, because of the course and the university itself. I've wanted to change Universities for such a long time now but couldn't because of many personal problems but now those problems have finally gone away I'm debating what I should do.

The courses that I would really like to do are Journalism, Communications or History (I have a love for all three) and I really want to study on campus. I'm 22 years old, but been through enough where the worry is not about my age, but about if it is the right choice or not. I have so much to win and lose on both sides and it has become an impossibility for me to simplify the decision in my head, hence needing the opinion of others. The fact is that I might have regret in both choices, for different reasons. For example, while yes short time I will be happier at the university, I don't know for definite that the future will be better in general when I have one year left of the course now.

What do you think I should do? (I will reply if any questions are asked. Thanks!)

E; I should also add that going to University on campus is something I have always wanted to do, but as I said, that doesn't necessarily mean it is the right thing to do for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
OK, from the moment you said you're studying at home I assumed you're a distance learner.

And also, since you say you've been depressed for most of the course, it can only mean that you haven't researched the course before you studied it. If a course seems attractive just by its title, it doesn't mean it will suit you.
Reply 2
Hey Shawn,

It's not so much that I only did the course because of it's name. I was pressured into the course in a way and I never really wanted to do it.
You're saying you didn't want to do it? I guess if the exam results over the past two years are "not good enough" you may as well forget about the third year and apply for a different course. Don't let anyone stop you
Reply 4
Well that's actually another part about it and why I should have given more explanation. My results have been mostly 1's and 2:1's. Even though I didn't want to do the course, I was forced into it by my parents because I was always good at business and they saw it as the best way to my future, which at the time I wasn't really focusing on. That is why there is such a split on my mind as to what to do. There's half of me that feels I should just finish the course, and another half that feels that I should change universities, but as I said, I can't predict the future and know which I will be happier with, and if I make a mistake changing universities I can't just go back to my old University and pick up from where I left off.
You will not be able to transfer at this stage and that means starting from scratch. If you have used two years of funding already, you will only be eligible for another two years (length of course + 1 - number of years already taken) and will need to self fund the first year. Have you taken this into account?
Reply 6
I've already spoken to student finance and there is a possibility to get complete funding from extenuating circumstances.
Original post by IRSMan
I've already spoken to student finance and there is a possibility to get complete funding from extenuating circumstances.

Get the 'possibility' in writing before you go any further if you wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.
Reply 8
The only problem with being able to get it confirmed is that I must leave the course in order to go through the appeal process.
Original post by IRSMan
The only problem with being able to get it confirmed is that I must leave the course in order to go through the appeal process.

It's never easy, is it? I'm afraid only you can take that decision.
Reply 10
Yeah, I was just hoping for some kind of reply to maybe give me at least a bit of hope either way lol. I really feel stuck on this whole issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending