The Student Room Group

Harsh truth about lifting weights

Right now you're probably admirning your guns and thinking nice, but before it's too late, i'll mention it.

Hardly anyone speaks about it and they keep it to themselves, until they realise they have this problem.
It's called Hemorrhoids.

Basically when you're lifting weights there are these lumps inside your intestine which get pulled down the more you strain when lifting.
These lumps will then come out of your bum and will bleed or feel really sore especially when sitting down.
You then have to stop for 2 months to fully heal it and eat loads of fiber.

However on the point of fibre, when I wasn't lifiting with the same diet, I was fine and I didn't get hemorids, but when I was lifting my hemorrhoids came out. So it's defiently linked more with lifting than fiber?!

I spoke to other people and they also have this problem, but no one mentions it at first to beginners so be really careful.

Any tips on how to lift with hemorids?

Basically don't lift too eagerly and be weary.

Scroll to see replies

Reading that almost made me cry

just visualising it
Reply 2
Should i google images this whilst im eating my lunch or not
JI can confidently say, this has never happened to me when lifting.
Reply 4
It takes time guys, mine took a good 2 solid months.
Reply 5
Maybe it's taking much longer for me? Been going gym for over 2 years lol
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's good thing I don't lift then :dontknow:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Just push them back up.
Reply 8
Hahahahaaha

I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if you could squat 150kg. Lol get back to the gym, you're still weak.
Reply 9
do you even lift?
Just googled it. Eurgh, looks like anal prolapse (also do not google)
If you're weak and lift weights that are too heavy for you then yes, you're prone to getting haemorrhoids. But if you lift within your means and don't massively overdo it. You're fine. Never had them.
Reply 12
I don't think lifting weights would be the sole cause of this - true abdominal stress increases likelihood of external hemorhoids but there are a lot more factors to consider. You may for example just be genetically predisposed to it. There's also diet to take into account, bowel movements etc. etc.
Reply 14
Original post by kumon

However on the point of fibre, when I wasn't lifiting with the same diet, I was fine and I didn't get hemorids, but when I was lifting my hemorrhoids came out. So it's defiently linked more with lifting than fiber?!

No necessarily.

If you were on a decent diet (i.e. not just stodgy protein leading to haemorrhoids) and lifting, you might not get them.

Thus making a low fibre diet the necessary factor, while lifting merely provokes them in those who are on a crap diet.

Either way, I've never heard of anyone getting haemorrhoids because of lifting before, although you're probably right I think the reason for most is still fibre in diet.
I don't lift heavy and have 6 packs and i'm lean u mad bro???
Original post by Southasian
I don't lift heavy and have 6 packs and i'm lean u mad bro???

Six pack on skinny guy is like boobs on a chunky girl. Doesn't really count. But well done, if it works for you who am I to say different.
Original post by Michael!
Six pack on skinny guy is like boobs on a chunky girl. Doesn't really count. But well done, if it works for you who am I to say different.

I'm not skinny,haters gonna hate:wink:
Original post by Southasian
I'm not skinny,haters gonna hate:wink:

Good work then! I get annoyed as a muscular lean guy when skinny guys come up to me and say that they 'worked hard' to get their packs too. I just laugh.
Reply 19
Original post by Keoje
Maybe it's taking much longer for me? Been going gym for over 2 years lol

Original post by Stinkum
Hahahahaaha

I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if you could squat 150kg. Lol get back to the gym, you're still weak.

Original post by slade p
do you even lift?

Original post by hslt
No necessarily.

If you were on a decent diet (i.e. not just stodgy protein leading to haemorrhoids) and lifting, you might not get them.

Thus making a low fibre diet the necessary factor, while lifting merely provokes them in those who are on a crap diet.

Either way, I've never heard of anyone getting haemorrhoids because of lifting before, although you're probably right I think the reason for most is still fibre in diet.

How do I prevent it, is there a technique I can use now, mines gone away and I dont want it to come back when I lift :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest