The Student Room Group

Going on holiday - how to tell the employer in an interview

So I've applied for a job, but I'll be going away on holiday in three weeks. I definitely know I need to tell the interviewer (if I get that far), but how do you do it? What do you say?

Any help would be amazing, thank you :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 1
I don't really understand the question. Just tell them politely? It's not a crime!
actually you don't need to tell them unless you are offered a job, then you say I have a holiday booked in 3 weeks time, I'l be away for ... days would that be a problem? Many employers wouldn't expect you to start within a month anyway, it depends on the type of job and what notice period people normally have to give.
Reply 3
They might possibly ask when you're able to start/your availability in the interview anyway, and you can mention it then.
Original post by M1011
I don't really understand the question. Just tell them politely? It's not a crime!

Haha yeah, but I didn't know when I needed to say it in the interview. In my last job a christening in my family suddenly cropped up, and my employer was not happy that I didn't tell him in the interview... despite the fact I didn't know about it then :dontknow:

Original post by parentlurker
actually you don't need to tell them unless you are offered a job, then you say I have a holiday booked in 3 weeks time, I'l be away for ... days would that be a problem? Many employers wouldn't expect you to start within a month anyway, it depends on the type of job and what notice period people normally have to give.

Original post by syrettd
They might possibly ask when you're able to start/your availability in the interview anyway, and you can mention it then.

Thank you all for your responses, I feel a little more clear about the matter now :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't mention in the interview, mention at the point where they are offering you the job.

Employers always know there's a risk they might be hiring someone with pre-arranged holidays. If the employer gets sniffy with you over that its probably a bad sign: they are going to get sniffy about a lot of things.
Original post by liomeeringca
So I've applied for a job, but I'll be going away on holiday in three weeks. I definitely know I need to tell the interviewer (if I get that far), but how do you do it? What do you say?

As above, you don't tell them until they offer you the job! You've got to get them to want you before you break bad news!
Reply 7
Once an employer was telling me I had the job etc, and asking when I could start, I told them that I had a holiday booked a few weeks down the line, and then they never replied!!
Reply 8
If they ask you in the interview if you have any holidays planned then take it as a hint that they might want to offer you the job :wink:
They would most likely honour this, as by this point you'll still be settling in.
Original post by Bobbi!
Once an employer was telling me I had the job etc, and asking when I could start, I told them that I had a holiday booked a few weeks down the line, and then they never replied!!

Aw no, that's really sad :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edo123
If they ask you in the interview if you have any holidays planned then take it as a hint that they might want to offer you the job :wink:

True true, and then when I tell them there'll be a fat cross next to my name! :') :')

Actually though, job hunting is really hard :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Don't mention in the interview, mention at the point where they are offering you the job.

Employers always know there's a risk they might be hiring someone with pre-arranged holidays. If the employer gets sniffy with you over that its probably a bad sign: they are going to get sniffy about a lot of things.

Okay, thank you for your reply! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grumbeale
They would most likely honour this, as by this point you'll still be settling in.

How do you mean 'honour this'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
An employer should honour any leave you have booked (except if it is unreasonable like 3 months off to go find yourself). Depending on the job as well it's quite possible that they won't have a start date for you until about a month anyway.
Original post by liomeeringca

At some point during the interview they should ask you when you can start. At this point you say something like…… I can start immediately, however, I have a holiday booked in three weeks time for x number of weeks. Alternatively you can say I can start on ?/?/?? but it might be better for yourselves if I start after my holiday in 3 weeks time. Then I am feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the job - and that is my summer holiday taken.

Any decent employer will know that summer means holidays and everyone has holidays booked at some point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending