Geography here Watch

Jog.Ra.Fee.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Anyone do Geography?

If so what do you like/dislike about the course?

Thanks
Ashbourne1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I will be in September :] L700
Jog.Ra.Fee.
Rep:
?
Me too
CAFC
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i will be doing L700 in sept aswell
Chrashcool
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Geography as a whole is a great subject to take at birmingham, the department is really well organised and nearly all of the lecturers I've met there have been great. However if you're taking Geology and geography or any natural science course beware that the Earth Sciences office is absolutely rubbish. Unhelpful and un-informed. Other than that its great.
podder
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i do geog at birmingham. well geography and urban planning and i really enjoy it. heres a list of likes and dislikes...

• lecturesrs all approachable and make themselves availbale if you need help
  • most lectures interesting
  • all lecture notes put up on WEBCT..big help if u miss lecture
  • good socitey-KINVIG
  • chances to go on field trips
  • all lectures on main campus
  • wide choice of modules to choose from in 2nd year eg if u dont like the physical side can take lots of human geography or vice vera
  • help given on projects

DISLIKES
  • some lectures are very boring if its not the kind of geog your into
  • human geog may seem very different to what you did at A level..different content i mean
  • normal lecturers may go away to carry out their own seperate research

overall ive really enjoyed time their so far so dont worry bowt it. just take every opoortunity u get wether it be to mkae new mates, try new things, nites out etc and u'll love it
Jog.Ra.Fee.
Rep:
?
Podder and Chrash, that was really helpful, thanks :yeah:
matt bass
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Applied for Geography but didn't make the grade so to speak.

Managed to get a changed offer to Geology and Geography Joint Honours. To me it looks like I will enjoy this course more than pure Geography
Porter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'll be doing Geography and urban and regional planning in September...can't wait.

Well done everyone. see you there.

Porter
triple_seven
Report 12 years ago
Hey guys congrats to those who made it into birmingham to do geography. I've been there for a year and I promise that you're going to love it. The great thing about geography at birmingham is that they plan the course structure in a way where you get to know as many people as possible because the class of about 280 people is split up into small groups constantly whether it be in tutor groups, fieldwork groups or whatever. This makes the huge class a lot less daunting compared to other subjects at birmingham. Hope this helps some of you. Any questions about the course feel free to email me: [email protected]
Helen.
x
Thanhuk
Report 12 years ago
I will also be doing Geography (L700) at Birmingham in Sept.

I'm soo nervous!
podder
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
porter,

geography and urban and regional planning is a really great course. ul defo enjoy the urban and regeional planning side. one of the best departments in the uni i reckon.
CAFC
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What options are you lot going to go for? anything in pirticular? or just a bit of everything
trevortravels1
Report 9 years ago
hi guys! i just missed out on an access in sep as ive just got back from over extended travels!
did any of you guys do an HEFC? or A levels?
and when could i choose to go urban planning ect, is then after the first year? to choose BSc or BA?
im a bit scrappy on this at tho mo, but im still researchng.
AND is there anyway i could get on a fast track in JAN access, OR barge onto a sep 08 access?? or do i have to accept i wont be even gettin my ball rolling til sep??
Charlurr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got told that one lecturer loves to ramble on about how the clock tower resembles Chamberlain's... shwing shwong.
matt bass
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Charlurr)
I got told that one lecturer loves to ramble on about how the clock tower resembles Chamberlain's... shwing shwong.
This is true....
Flamin Nora
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Charlurr)
Yeah Dr Slater. Bit of a perv.

Anyway, likes:

No nine am lectures in first year.
Multiple choice exams
Nice shiny new department
Big section in the library
Informative lectures
Helpful tutors
Field trips
Crazy dancing lecturers
Kinvig society - put on looooooads of events
Kinvig Ball
Kinvig sports societies - really laid back and fun!
Learning about GIS and all the new mapping technology
Getting to know the city really well through the Birmingham module
Getting to know loads of geography people due to being split into groups for various projects.

Dislikes:

CONTEMPORARY HUMAN GEOGRAPHY! - the most mindnumbing module you will ever encounter.
The Built Forms of Birmingham project - the most vague and time consuming report ever, though useful in that you know Birmingham like the back of your hand by the end of it.
Essay deadline times being 2pm, unlike most unis, who set their deadline at 6pm. Those four hours really do make a difference lol!
chrisb23
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Totally agree about Contemporary Human Geography, it literally makes me want to die! and my group havent even finished the trips yet for built forms, lol!

but yeah I really enjoy it atm, the course is pretty good, although admittedly it can be a bit boring. the best thing is socially the geography people seem to be really good, especially compared to other subjects/departments, i think geographers socially can only be rivalled by the medics here! field trips are also a plus, the first one was sooo fun!

COME HERE!
trevortravels1
Report 9 years ago
sounds great!
Samantha130492
Report 8 years ago
When do your exams start for the summer this year? How long do they last for?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.81%
No (661)
60.64%
Not really bothered about them (224)
20.55%

Watched Threads