nomnomnomnomnoms
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi there, soo I need to pick another subject for my A-Level and I have History and English Literature that I'm 100% picking.

Those are two 'Hard' subjects but I'm not too sure whether I should go for Spanish.... I was thinking of picking one of these for my 3rd:

- Spanish
- Religious studies
- Philosophy
- Sociology

I'd like to do biology but my overall science grade didn't meet the requirements. Please help >:
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nomnomnomnomnoms)
Hi there, soo I need to pick another subject for my A-Level and I have History and English Literature that I'm 100% picking.

Those are two 'Hard' subjects but I'm not too sure whether I should go for Spanish.... I was thinking of picking one of these for my 3rd:

- Spanish
- Religious studies
- Philosophy
- Sociology

I'd like to do biology but my overall science grade didn't meet the requirements. Please help >:
I did History, English Literature, and Religious Studies (OCR) which don't be fooled, it is very difficult so beware of that!

Also, I'm guessing to do Spanish at A-level, you would need a B at grade GCSE Spanish or French or just a Modern Language? Modern Language is hard at A-level and all French, German, Italian and Spanish A-levels are considered as traditional, hard A-levels now, especially French and Spanish.

Philosophy and RS aren't classed at hard or traditional A-levels; but they don't have the unpopularity that Sociology has. I actually did Sociology for 3 weeks then dropped it to swap it for RS, so perhaps that's what you can do? You have History and Lit which are humanities so maybe take up a Foreign Language or a social science like Sociology?

I think it's quite important to take A-levels that you want to study. I never studied History and RS at GCSE so it was surprisingly new and refreshing to gain new information and studying new subjects. This could be a sin or a savior - you could hate the new subject or you can gain a very useful insight and respect for the subject.

Overall, you should in fact choose the 3rd subject you want to study and you will find most engaging. Have a look at the A2 contents and see what you study at the 2nd year as well.

Have you any thoughts on what you would like to do after your A-levels: uni or apprenticeships?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (29)
5.64%
Uncertainty around my education (59)
11.48%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (62)
12.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (67)
13.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (28)
5.45%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (23)
4.47%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (54)
10.51%
Financial worries (31)
6.03%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.23%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (51)
9.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (43)
8.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise