The Student Room Group

Another subject?

Hi there, soo I need to pick another subject for my A-Level and I have History and English Literature that I'm 100% picking.

Those are two 'Hard' subjects but I'm not too sure whether I should go for Spanish.... I was thinking of picking one of these for my 3rd:

- Spanish
- Religious studies
- Philosophy
- Sociology

I'd like to do biology but my overall science grade didn't meet the requirements. Please help >:
Original post by nomnomnomnomnoms
Hi there, soo I need to pick another subject for my A-Level and I have History and English Literature that I'm 100% picking.

Those are two 'Hard' subjects but I'm not too sure whether I should go for Spanish.... I was thinking of picking one of these for my 3rd:

- Spanish
- Religious studies
- Philosophy
- Sociology

I'd like to do biology but my overall science grade didn't meet the requirements. Please help >:

I did History, English Literature, and Religious Studies (OCR) which don't be fooled, it is very difficult so beware of that!

Also, I'm guessing to do Spanish at A-level, you would need a B at grade GCSE Spanish or French or just a Modern Language? Modern Language is hard at A-level and all French, German, Italian and Spanish A-levels are considered as traditional, hard A-levels now, especially French and Spanish.

Philosophy and RS aren't classed at hard or traditional A-levels; but they don't have the unpopularity that Sociology has. I actually did Sociology for 3 weeks then dropped it to swap it for RS, so perhaps that's what you can do? You have History and Lit which are humanities so maybe take up a Foreign Language or a social science like Sociology?

I think it's quite important to take A-levels that you want to study. I never studied History and RS at GCSE so it was surprisingly new and refreshing to gain new information and studying new subjects. This could be a sin or a savior - you could hate the new subject or you can gain a very useful insight and respect for the subject.

Overall, you should in fact choose the 3rd subject you want to study and you will find most engaging. Have a look at the A2 contents and see what you study at the 2nd year as well.

Have you any thoughts on what you would like to do after your A-levels: uni or apprenticeships?

Quick Reply

Latest