The Student Room Group

Electrolysis of brine 😟

I'm doing gcse chemistry and I need to complete some homework. I need an explanation on the actual process like how the hydrogen is less reactive than the sodium so is attracted to the cathode etc. thanks
Original post by FutureArmyTank
I'm doing gcse chemistry and I need to complete some homework. I need an explanation on the actual process like how the hydrogen is less reactive than the sodium so is attracted to the cathode etc. thanks

Brine is aqueous sodium chloride solution, which means that there are four ions in brine which are Na+,Cl- from the sodium chloride, and H+ and OH- ions from the water which ionises to a small extent.Both the sodium and hydrogen ions will be attracted to the cathode and both the chloride and hydroxide ions will be attracted to the anode.
The hydrogen ions are lower on the reactivity series and are discharged more easily than the sodium ions and so are attracted to the cathode and are discharged to form bubbles of hydrogen molecules H2 through reduction, gaining electrons from the electrode.
Halide ions are always discharged, meaning that the chloride ions are discharged at the anode to form molecules of Chlorine gas Cl2 when undergoing oxidation and losing electrons to the electrode.This also leaves sodium hydroxide solution.

Rep please:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest