Erasmus British Council teaching placement - maintenance loan entitlement?

Watch this thread
sallyrw
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT

Hi,

I am a languages student doing my third year abroad next year (2014/15) as part of my four year degree. I will be doing an Erasmus British Council teaching placement in Spain.

I have been explicitly informed several times by my university (Uni of Exeter) that I should be entitled up to the maximum maintenance loan (£6,600) i.e. means tested, as well as a maximum maintenance grant (£3,387) from student finance, but this does not come up when filling in my application: instead I get the message
'As you've told us you'll be on a work placement, this means you can only get some Maintenance Loan from us, which you have to pay back. Most students will be able to get this. You might be able to borrow up to £2347, and this doesn’t depend on your household income.'

When I am filling in my application, I have ticked the box to say that my placement will be a 'Work Placement Abroad' as that seemed the correct option, but after experimenting I have found that if I tick 'Study Abroad' instead then I could get the full maintenance loans.

So my questions are:
1) Does my whole year British Council teaching placement count as a 'Work Placement Abroad' or 'Study Abroad'?
2) If it is a 'work placement abroad', how do I get my full maintenance loan and grant?

Sorry for the long post, but I have rung Student Finance twice now and been told completely different things on each occasion, including that my university is wrong and I can only get a smaller reduced maintenance loan and grant.

Please respond asap as the deadline is now very close, thanks.
Sally
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

If you are doing a full year erasmus, you should indicate the "study abroad" option & also indicate this is part of the erasmus scheme.

You will then be able to apply for a maintenance loan and grant if the household income is also supplied.

Thanks.
Emma-93
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I've had this problem and it involved several phone calls totalling 2 and a half hours on the phone with Student Finance! Their call centres are useless and at one point they were just making stuff up! Google their erasmus 2014/15 policy and section 25 explicitly states that you are entitled to it. However it was a real fight to get them to adjust it, I ended up having my uni phone them up and that was the only way to have it adjusted. I've spoken to several people who just put that they are studying abroad in previous years and that worked for them fine. It's a ridiculous system! Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20.21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
11.7%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.32%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (16)
17.02%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
24.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
21.28%

Watched Threads