Motorbike - Cheapest route to getting a Full Category A license?

Watch
temp_removal
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

Before I get to the main question, which is the title of this post I need another semi-related question answered. My provisional license arrived today , I'm planning on eventually getting a motorbike license. I'm aged 18 but on the back of my license, I am only entitled to ride category AM (moped) bikes. What do I have to do to become entitled to drive an A1 category motorbike as a learner driver?

Back to the main point I feel unfortunate to have been born 2 years too late As most people are aware the rules for the types of moped or motorcycle you can use/ ride changed on 19 January 2013. So young people who want to learn to drive a bike have to jump through hoops (multiple tests) to get an unrestricted license.

"What would be the cheapest method to get a full unrestricted license (A) apart from direct access (doing all related test aged 24)?"

Do you think I should wait until i'm 19 and then get an A2 license wait for 2 years and then upgrade. Or should I start from the bottom and work my way up?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post.

CT: Advice on finding cheap motorbike insurance here (member saved hundreds of £s)
ss_s95
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
First of all you'd have to pass the CBT, which is valid for 2 years. You'll need to pass a full motorcycle test within those 2 years otherwise you'd have to take the CBT all over again. That's something I'm certain of.

With regards to age requirements, a friend of mine who recently passed his motorcycle test told me that if you're under 19 then you'd only be able to take the A1 test - this does NOT automatically convert into an A2 licence, so you'd have to take an A2 test to get entitlement. Same goes for upgrading to a full A licence (600cc+).

This is where I'm not too certain; I think you can directly take any of the tests (in your case A1) once you get your CBT. I'd recommend at least taking a test in the A1 category to drop your CBT restrictions. Once you've got your A1 licence you're set; you can simply take your A2 or A test when you're ready

IMO, I'd recommend working your way up through A1, A2 and then A IF you're solely using a bike. If you're also driving cars then you'd probably be better off with an A1 until you feel ready to do an A test.
Ohmz27
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A1 – Up to 125cc and not more than 11kW power output (~15 bhp). Minimum age: 17.
A2 – Bike not exceeding 35kW power output (around 47 bhp). Minimum age: 19
A – Fully Unrestricted, ride anything above 35kW. Minimum age: 24*

* Holding an A2 licence for 2 years will also satisfy the requirements to do category A tests, meaning the earliest you can book cat A tests is 21. Holding an A1 licence for 2 years may also work, I’m not too sure.

Firstly, to ride an A1 bike, all you need is a CBT certificate, which you obtain by completing a ‘day long’ course costing around £100. To ride any bike, you will need a CBT anyway. A CBT alone will let you ride an A1 bike for up to 2 years, but you will also need to display an L plate, won’t be allowed to carry pillions, or go on motorways.

Since your 18, you could do a CBT course next week, then start booking lessons/tests for an A1 category licence. The tests for an A1 licence are:

Hazard Perception – Pretty much same as the HP for cars, but with a few more bike related questions thrown in.
Mod 1 – Off-road cone-work. Slaloms, figures of 8s, U-turn, Avoidance, Emergency stop etc.
Mod 2 – Observed riding on the road. Mod1 and 2 together are like a glorified CBT really.
(All have to be done on different days, as proof of passing HPT/Mod1 is required before taking Mod1/Mod2).

The above tests are the same for A2 and A category licences, with 2 exceptions; The power of bike you’ll be on, and I don’t think you’ll have to do another Hazard Perception test if you’ve done one before (the HPT for a car licence doesn’t count unfortunately).

The cheapest route to an A category will be to wait til your 24, then just pay for category A lessons and tests, this way you avoid paying for A1/A2.

The cheapest route, without arbitrary waiting, would be to skip A1 tests altogether. Wait till your 19, then start doing lessons and tests for an A2 category licence. You obviously can still ride A1 category bikes on an A2 licence, and won’t have to pay to jump through the A1 hoop. If you pass the A2 tests when 19, you could book category A tests at 21.
Professor Oak
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A lot of TSR members are saying this place is decent for finding insurance cheap quotes:

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/
racerqueen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
for the theoretical part, you can actually save up loads. But at the same time theres a great risk of not saving but instead wasting time.

That being said i think some websites out there offer a highly limited amount of theory practicing for category A.

I did my theory at a website (drive-free.co.uk), and passed my test with 98 % right away. However that was for Category B though.

If i had bought all these expensive subscriptions, apps and books offered i would have lost a couple of hundred easily.

On the site i mentioned, they do offer a full comprehensive Theory Test Experience for all four major categories, such as B. So you might want to check it out

I hope this will help you saving.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
30.97%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.26%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.03%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.45%

Watched Threads