The Student Room Group

Which of these sets of GCSE grades looks better?

Poll

Which of these sets of GCSE grades looks better?

Which of these sets of GCSE grade looks better?
Well clearly the latter :curious: Is there a mistake in your poll?
Reply 2
Original post by StrangeBanana

I think that he meant 8A*s 3As or 7A*s 4As :s-smilie:
Original post by Sulfur
I think that he meant 7A*s 4As

That would be my guess too

The one with more A*s would look better.
personally i like the 8A* 3A's because the number 3 is much curvier and sexier than 4....4 is way to straight for its own good and really puts people off looking at it
About the same really...
Original post by StrangeBanana

Original post by Sulfur
I think that he meant 8A*s 3As or 7A*s 4As :s-smilie:

there's no mistake in my poll. I meant 3As and 4As. The reason I ask is because me and a friend were having an argument about which looked better. My opinion was that while both are good, 4As seems to almost 'dilute' the number of A*s, so I prefer 3 :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TheTechN1304
there's no mistake in my poll. I meant 3As and 4As. The reason I ask is because me and a friend were having an argument about which looked better. My opinion was that while both are good, 4As seems to almost 'dilute' the number of A*s, so I prefer 3 :P

Ah I see. Well 8A* 4As - another grade in another subject that's of a good standard. I can see why you'd think that it'd 'dilute' the A*s, but overall it's better.
8A* 3A, weirdly, for me.
Original post by TheTechN1304
Which of these sets of GCSE grade looks better?

But with the former you have a much better success rate for A*s
Well one has 85 points whilst the other has 92 points...universities want more points so obviously you have to judge on points as opposed to which one looks more 'prettier"...So 8A*s 4As is better academically...maybe not aesthetically...
8 A* 3 A

Because it keeps A* percentage higher without a low number of GCSEs.
Reply 12
I personally prefer 8 A* 4 A. In terms of actual skills, it's a whole new GCSE which isn't quite as good as your others, but it's still pretty good. Academically, the former may well be better for reasons that everyone else has explained.

I've been in much the same situation myself, with GCSE General Studies. In the end I went for it purely because even if I didn't get an A*, I'd probably still get a decent grade. We shall find out what happened on results day :no::sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on the situation.

I spend a lot of time talking about Oxford applications where %A* is one of the key measures, in which case 8A* 3A is better. It shows greater ability to get A*s, which is the standard they're after.

Others look at the top x grades only, x frequently being 8, in which case they'd be equal.

Others look at them in other ways.

I voted 8A* 3A.

Original post by BCMFM16
Well one has 85 points whilst the other has 92 points...universities want more points so obviously you have to judge on points as opposed to which one looks more 'prettier"...So 8A*s 4As is better academically...maybe not aesthetically...

There is no universal way in which universities look at GCSEs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
I'm sure they all use slightly different methods, and surely it would be based on the most relevant GCSEs. I think that Oxbridge use A* percentage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I actually voted for 8 A*s and 3 As. My argument would be that, in all of his eleven subjects, his results were closest to the maximum result - eleven A*s. His consistency amongst the first results is greater than the first.
Original post by Hariex
I actually voted for 8 A*s and 3 As. My argument would be that, in all of his eleven subjects, his results were closest to the maximum result - eleven A*s. His consistency amongst the first results is greater than the first.

yep. my opinion exactly :P
Original post by gideon123
personally i like the 8A* 3A's because the number 3 is much curvier and sexier than 4....4 is way to straight for its own good and really puts people off looking at it

On the same note, the ideal set of results would be a juicy 10 A*s (no more, no less). You can't go wrong with 10 A*s. It's just so... complete.
Well, the one with 4A's then..

Quick Reply

Latest