Analysis skills and creative writing?! Please help! Watch

username1370769
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have an English Language AQA iGCSE Paper 1 mock exam tomorrow (it's most likely going to be the exam from June 2014 I think)
I need some help on my analysis skills- what types of questions usually come up and how do you answer them? (Like for instance, in History our teacher told us a specific structure we should try to follow- for the 4 marker we need 4 points DESCRIBING, 6 marker is 2 points backed with evidence EXPLAINING, and for the 10 marker we need 2 sides and a conclusion- JUDGING. Is there something like this for English?)
What things do I need to consider when thinking about writers' techniques and stuff like that?

Also, for the second half, I always do the story. I write a lot in my own time, and so this is easy for me- I'm good at thinking of ideas and coming up with characters etc. However, our teacher has told us all to AVOID the story because it takes to long, and I admit this is likely to be a bit of a problem for me. How can I ensure I don't go off on a tangent and manage to complete the story in time?

Please help, particularly with analysis skills, because I'm really worried!

Thanks
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BEARichards)
I have an English Language AQA iGCSE Paper 1 mock exam tomorrow (it's most likely going to be the exam from June 2014 I think)
I need some help on my analysis skills- what types of questions usually come up and how do you answer them? (Like for instance, in History our teacher told us a specific structure we should try to follow- for the 4 marker we need 4 points DESCRIBING, 6 marker is 2 points backed with evidence EXPLAINING, and for the 10 marker we need 2 sides and a conclusion- JUDGING. Is there something like this for English?)
What things do I need to consider when thinking about writers' techniques and stuff like that?

Also, for the second half, I always do the story. I write a lot in my own time, and so this is easy for me- I'm good at thinking of ideas and coming up with characters etc. However, our teacher has told us all to AVOID the story because it takes to long, and I admit this is likely to be a bit of a problem for me. How can I ensure I don't go off on a tangent and manage to complete the story in time?

Please help, particularly with analysis skills, because I'm really worried!

Thanks

Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
Anime4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, a good set out is to PEE, meaning Point Evidence Explain and advancing to PEEL, the L is Link to eventually be PETERL which is Point Evidence Technique like simile and Explain Link
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads