The Student Room Group

Where should I buy my suits for sixth form?

I'm starting year 12 in September, and everybody needs to wear 'business dress', so a suit, tie and smart shoes & socks. I'm not sure what or where I want to buy; I've seen skinny suits, 'normal' ones, grey, black, blue, etc. I don't want anything too cheap; I've seen some nice ones in Topman, but I don't know what style to get and what other people will be wearing. I don't want to look showy and arrogant or whatever, but I'm probably over-thinking. What should I do? Thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Groundearth
I'm starting year 12 in September, and everybody needs to wear 'business dress', so a suit, tie and smart shoes & socks. I'm not sure what or where I want to buy; I've seen skinny suits, 'normal' ones, grey, black, blue, etc. I don't want anything too cheap; I've seen some nice ones in Topman, but I don't know what style to get and what other people will be wearing. I don't want to look showy and arrogant or whatever, but I'm probably over thinking. What should I do? Thanks :smile:

Have a look around in Next or M&S or on their website.. by the way, choose a black or a grey one!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
Have a look around in Next or M&S or on their website.. by the way, choose a black or a grey one!

Thank you! How many should I get?
Don't buy a black suit, you'll look like you're going to a funeral every day.

Most important thing is to make sure it fits properly, doesn't matter how good the quality is if it slumps off you. And try to get 100% wool.
I'm starting year 12 in September, and everybody needs to wear 'business dress', so a suit, tie and smart shoes & socks. I'm not sure what or where I want to buy; I've seen skinny suits, 'normal' ones, grey, black, blue, etc. I don't want anything too cheap; I've seen some nice ones in Topman, but I don't know what style to get and what other people will be wearing. I don't want to look showy and arrogant or whatever, but I'm probably over thinking. What should I do? Thanks :smile:

Next and M&S are good for everyday suits. Buy two. Don't be that idiot that buys a fashion suit from topman with different colour lapels or some stupid shiny material. Make sure it fits well and is not too big or too small, the same goes for shirts.
(edited 9 years ago)
Apart from my sixth form I've never heard of another which needs business dress
generally the boys at our school wear suits - either black, blue or grey (from a range of places e.g. M + S, Next, house of fraiser, debenhams, asos, John Lewis and Burton)
Personally I like skinny suits and the ones at Topman are really nice but I would check before you buy them cause my school is very picky and changed the rules about certain things after everyone had bought stuff.
Lots of people care more about the style then what is practical so just wear whatever you think looks good on you and trust me some people spent hundreds of pounds on suits (unlike me who purchased from new look haha)
hope this helps
p.s for ties go to next in the sales cause they always have reduced stuff and they are nice silk ones :P
If you buy from M&S - get two sets of trousers ( I have seen two sons through sixth form) - you won't regret it.

ALso get washable if you can ( your parents will appreciate it) unless you are very fastidious - my younger one was into rugby and getting dirty - definitely washable
Yeah, DEFINITELY get a machine washable suit. M&S and NEXT have great suits in my opinion. If you are looking for something a little more fashionable, you can get some really nice suits from Burton and Topman.
Thank you! How many should I get?

No problem, you should try and get two, if you can't then one is fine for the first year.
(edited 9 years ago)

Also check Mossbro's
I don't see the point in sixth forms enforcing business dress, you're children for god's sake :tongue:

I had this aswell.

Suits - TM lewin have decent suits , decent prices - get navy or grey , not black.Marks and spencers is also good.Depending on your figure get slim fit or classic fit.Dont get machine washable , there not good quality.Two sets of trousers is a good idea aswell as youll be wearing the suits for the whole year.Above all make sure there comfertable.

shirts - Best shirts form TM Lewin or Hawes and curtis , good deals there.If your going for the 'business loo' get plain light blue or white shirts , not anything over the top or a shirt with a different colour collar.

Ties- Go for the skinny look - john lewis and tm lewin have nice choices , go for the plain or the stripped look and make sure they blend in with the colour of the suit
Original post by Skip_Snip
I don't see the point in sixth forms enforcing business dress, you're children for god's sake :tongue:

Some schools get a lot of visitors (especially grammar schools) and it doesn't look good if the students are all wearing casual clothes. Some sixth formers are also prefects and deputy prefects as well and they have to occasionally chat to parents, governors, headteachers from other schools and stuff, so wearing a business dress sends out a good message to them and benefits the school.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm starting year 12 in September, and everybody needs to wear 'business dress', so a suit, tie and smart shoes & socks. I'm not sure what or where I want to buy; I've seen skinny suits, 'normal' ones, grey, black, blue, etc. I don't want anything too cheap; I've seen some nice ones in Topman, but I don't know what style to get and what other people will be wearing. I don't want to look showy and arrogant or whatever, but I'm probably over-thinking. What should I do? Thanks :smile:

It depends what you want and what shape you are. The skinny suits only fit certain builds. M&S aren't cutting edge fashion but do do washable suits, jackets in 3 different lengths, trousers in many lengths, alterations at a decent price etc, all of which means you get a suit that really fits (which looks so much better) and can be cleaned without breaking the bank.

Charles Tyrwhitt do good shirts -4 for £100 with a big choice of style (recommend super-slim) sleeve length etc

Quick Reply

Latest