Turn on thread page Beta

Shocking Moral Decline In The Uk!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AM1)
    Without doubt the last 50 years has embraced a destruction of numerous moral boundaries, creating an era where "anything goes". The female "ladette" drinking culture and apathy towards sexual promiscuity are clear symptoms of this decline. Do you agree?
    I think nowdays its a chioce of which morals you have. Im a firm believer in you can do what the hell you like.

ReputationRep:
    I think that we need a definition of whose set of morals you are discussing; to say that the country has become 'less moral' over any period of time depends on who morality values you are considering. By Nazi standards, we are much more 'moral' in today's society.

Leaving aside that tangential point, to deal with Zizero's points, I feel personally that we have become more 'liberated' as a society - however, I do not feel that this is a panacea for all ills.

Consider this statement; 'freedom' is moral. Freedom in all cases? Freedom of speech? By that rationale, the freedom to sow hatred, intolerance and racial abuse is also a moral human right.

Is that just? Should we be allowing people to carry out the sort of sick **** detailed here?

The sexual liberation movement emancipated women from the relative drudgery of their pre-60's lives. I would be very surprised, however, if the original suffragettes were not shocked by the sexualisation of women in today's society. I don't believe that Emily Davidson died under the hooves of the King's Horse in 1913 so that Britney Spears could 'shake' her booty and give middle aged men heart-attacks....

Freedom, liberation, emancipation - the great buzz-words of the second half of the 20th C. IMO, in some cases these have gone too far.

People say that you become more right-wing as you become older. Maybe, as you get older, you get wiser. Or maybe, as you get older, you get more realistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AM1)
    Without doubt the last 50 years has embraced a destruction of numerous moral boundaries, creating an era where "anything goes". The female "ladette" drinking culture and apathy towards sexual promiscuity are clear symptoms of this decline. Do you agree?
    Generally yes I do agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxNewsRocks)
    I`m not saying we need to censor anything, just saying that IN MY OPINION, anything that could be considered obscene shouldnt be available to the general public over the airwaves unless it required a pay-service or what have you, at least it would force people to know what they were going to see, and would have the chance to turn it down..
    If that law came in to force, just about every program would be off mainstream TV, including some which are very clever and amusing e.g. Monty Python's Flying Circus.

ReputationRep:
    So, if i understand most of you correctly, you say its ok to be liberal in the way in which tv and radio are heading. But you find no problem with censoring free speech? I dont understand the double standard going on there. Lets take an example, and correct me if i`m mistaken in the facts in any way. So what you are saying is its ok to show, for example, gay sex or straight sex or nudity and foul language and murder, but when it comes to freedom of speech, you bow down to the powers that be. IE the law that can throw you in prison for saying anything race related. That is total lunacy and hipocracy at its finest IMHO!!!. Thats like saying "its not ok to speak about jews or muslims but feel free to exploit our women and our values because it doesnt 'hurt' anyone" Well i do think it hurts everyone, especially women. Rapists get their jollies from watching trash tv. Pedophiles, rapists and murderers must be dancing on their rooftops at the way society is heading. If you are an honest person, you know whats decent and whats not, come on, stop being PC and hoping people will like you for it! When society loses its moral highground, it will collapse, because nothing will be consider "wrong".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    I don't think the UK or any Western society for that matter has seen a "shocking moral decline" in the past 50 years.

Yes, traditional (mostly Christian-inspired) moral-standards have seen a steady decline.

But, I think that on the whole, the current situation is more ethical than 50 years ago.

I believe that a free and open society is morally preferable to a class-divided, paternalistic society.

I think that all citizens should be equals, and in the course of the last half century, thinks have gone this way. Women's rights have dramatically improved, ethnic minorities and homosexuals to name but two formerly oppressed or at least unprivileged groups, are now widely being treated as the rest of us. I think that's wonderful, also from a "moral" point of view.

You seem to imply that the sexual liberation movement has had immoral effects. I do not consider the repression of one of the most important part of everyone's life immoral. Is it moral to deny natural drives and to punish all those who have trouble restraining them as well as the rest of society?
    Was it "morally right" for young girls who got pregnant at the age of 15 for example to be treated as criminals and to be rejected by society for the rest of their lives?
    Were the actions of our societies in relations to colonialism "morally right"?

I don't think so. Our society have become freer. And freedom is moral (at least according to my code of ethics). If someone denies that freedom is moral, than I'm sorry, but I don't have anything to say to him, there's nothing left to talk about. In that case, we can only agree to disagree.

I do not agree that freedom is moral, absolutely. Some freedoms become immoral because they encroach on the freedoms of others. We are all accountable to each other as members of the human race.

Therefore I agree to disagree with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I do not agree that freedom is moral, absolutely. Some freedoms become immoral because they encroach on the freedoms of others. We are all accountable to each other as members of the human race.

Exactly - one man's right is another man's wrong.

Morals are not always absolute for this very reason.

ReputationRep:
    I feel Big Brother has a lot to answer for, although I admit to watching it... it is complete drivel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amateur_shrink)
    Is that just? Should we be allowing people to carry out the sort of sick **** detailed here?
    I am sorry but that site is wronge on so many levels! In my view if this is the moral standard that is correct in society then bring on immorality. My oppinion is that Gay sex should be shown on tv in graphic detail However I also don't think that heterosexual sex should be shown in graphic detail not because it is wronge or immoral just because many 10-11 year olds do have televisions in their room and they may be watching this. I personally feel that drinking is more of a problem in our society than the amount of sex and only because it does harm to our bodies. I think that the ladette culture is a problem because they are drinking too much ect but then I think that you can't just target women. Men have drinking in excess for years and I think that if you are going to tackle the problem it should be the general drinking problem not just drinking amoung women.
    I don't think that sexual promisquety is wronge and equates to immorality because as it has been said before you morals are individual to you and something that is immoral to you may be moral to someone else. A good example of that is that my morals mean that I think it is wronge to eat meat and fish. If I went against that it would mean that for me I would be imoral but it does not mean that someone who doesn't have a problem eating meat would be imoral. I hope you understand what I am tying to say :confused: .

Is society today more imoral in my view no. I just think that morals have evolved with the times. We now have freedom and equality and I don't think anyone would see that as a bad thing. The fact of the matter is that with equality comes change and that is what has happend morals have changed it is not that we are more imoral as a society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)

We were talking about the moral standards of society. Therefore, when I used the word "freedom", I was not referring to the freedoms of one individual, but to the "freedom" of society as a whole. Obviously, a free and open society is not an anarchy; everyone's freedom goes only as far as it does not infringe on anyone else's freedom.

So what I mean is that a society that guarantees such freedom is a moral society. And that's the point at which I have to stop discussing, because it would lead nowhere.

In my mind, there is a difference between anarchy and freedom. You seem to infer that by saying "freedom", I accept "anarchy" which is not so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AM1)
    They say it all came in with the pill....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    They say it all came in with the pill....
    I blame it on rock 'n' roll

ReputationRep:
    If you consider that to be true, then you lack the morality that some of us have. I dont think watching gay or straight sex is moral, but gay sex is not only immoral but disgusting and wrong IMO. Putting anything over the airwaves of sexual nature or any generally obscene action/talk is moral degeneration at work. The old saying "tell a lie enough times it will become truth" comes to mind.
    Why do you have a problem with gay sex? Why do you think it´s repulsive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KandyKane)
    Why do you have a problem with gay sex? Why do you think it´s repulsive?
    Most men do. Having half a digested meal stuck under your foreskin is fairly repulsive, let's face it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Most men do. Having half a digested meal stuck under your foreskin is fairly repulsive, let's face it.
    Condoms?

Quite a few guys like the idea of anal sex with women what is the difference?

ReputationRep:
    It isnt just the UK its America too and we may be worse than anywhere else. Soon we will see gay sex on tv, underage sex and lord only knows what else. Certain people twist our 1st amendment to circumvent morality.
    I was under the impression that there was far more control of tv viewing in the US than over here..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Condoms?

Quite a few guys like the idea of anal sex with women what is the difference?
    No difference at all Random. Gay butt ****ing rules OK. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No difference at all Random. Gay butt ****ing rules OK. :rolleyes:
    OK I know there is a difference in terms of sexuality and who you fancy I meany physically there are still the same problems that you mentioned in a previous post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    OK I know there is a difference in terms of sexuality and who you fancy I meany physically there are still the same problems that you mentioned in a previous post.
    Look. Most men find the thought of anal sex between two men repulsive. What don't you understand exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Look. Most men find the thought of anal sex between two men repulsive. What don't you understand exactly?
    Most men say they find it repulsive

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.